5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to make your car invisible to radar and laser

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 12:30 PM

How to make your car invisible to radar and laser

http://www.technoscout.com/general/p..._II&site=80290

Wondering how good this product is
Old 01-21-2002, 12:38 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: How to make your car invisible to radar and laser

Originally posted by eortiz15

Never heard of it. Try (if it's legal in your state) reflective tinted plastic over your license plate. Alot of times it doesn't read well to the radar gun or photo laser radar.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:48 PM

No independant test has shown positive results. Too good to be true!
Old 01-21-2002, 12:49 PM

Most ALL radar jamming products don't work at all. Not to mention it is a violation of federal law to interfere with police radar.

It is NOT however illegal to jam laser (Lidar). Laser is not protected by law the way radar is. Protective coatings on license plates work somewhat in that they disperse the laser making in harder (not impossible) for laser to get a speed reading. Bras also help as do driving with your high beams on. I've heard of some laser jamming products that work fairly well and some that don't. Popular mechanics did a lengthy and informative review of them several years ago. I can't remember the issue.

Tony
Old 01-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i read about it in a magazine, just yesterday. but it was much cheaper,,like $150. they guarentee no tickets for 12 months. if u do get a ticket they will pay it, as long as it's not more than 15 over speed limit. if u want their # let me know ,,,if u get it, let us know if it works
Old 01-21-2002, 01:20 PM

Re: Re: How to make your car invisible to radar and laser

Originally posted by maximadave
Try (if it's legal in your state) reflective tinted plastic over your license plate.
Not legal in my State
Old 01-21-2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by dba1999us
let us know if it works
You first
Old 01-21-2002, 01:25 PM
Mauja He Mauja

You first
uhhh negative ghost rider i insist,,plz u first
Old 01-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Car and Driver tested that thing a few years ago. it was shown to actually not do a damn thing. If you need to get rid of $150 just mail it to me.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
Never heard of it. Try (if it's legal in your state) reflective tinted plastic over your license plate. Alot of times it doesn't read well to the radar gun or photo laser radar.
This is true based on a study done by Car and Driver.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:33 PM

Those things don't work. The best radar detectors work fairly well though. Top notch radar detectors cost about $300-600 and they will let you no if you are being radared from any angle (369 degree coverage). Do not get a cheap one! My friend and I bought a $150 one from radio shack and took it back within 1 hour because it didn't work for S***!!! Taking off your front plate is great too, because the curves of the maxima are hard to bounce the radar back clearly.

Daniel
Old 01-21-2002, 04:04 PM

check out www.radartest.com for good reviews of radar detectors and laser jammers.

i have the blinder laser jammer and it has worked so far for me, i havent gotten any laser tickets.

i have the Passport SR1 radar detector and it doesnt work that well if the cop is using instant on KA band radar, which is what they usually use. i have gotten several tickets and i dont think it has ever gotten me out of a ticket from a cop using the instant on KA band radar.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:21 PM

A simple solution on how to be hidden from radar:

Don't drive your car!
Old 01-21-2002, 04:22 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
A simple solution on how to be hidden from radar:

Don't drive your car!

Old 01-21-2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Dan4614
Taking off your front plate is great too, because the curves of the maxima are hard to bounce the radar back clearly.

Daniel
Radar doesn't care if you have or don't have a front license plate. The curves of the Max are not even close enough aerodynamically to give you any advantage at all with radar. However, most cops target your front license plate using laser and this may help to some degree, but hardly at all (if any) with radar. And don't forget that in most states you have to have a front license plate on your car or you can get pulled over for that too!!!

Tony
Old 01-21-2002, 08:29 PM
Banned

valentine 1 people, valentine 1
Old 01-21-2002, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by PHAT2k1A.E.
valentine 1 people, valentine 1
My Passport 8500 works good for me. Unless you get mine, the V1, or the Bel 980(?) you're wasting your money. I had the Passport 6800, and I would've gotten a million tickets. It was horrible.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:58 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by Burton069

My Passport 8500 works good for me. Unless you get mine, the V1, or the Bel 980(?) you're wasting your money. I had the Passport 6800, and I would've gotten a million tickets. It was horrible.
First of all radar and lasar use reflective light so thats why lights and lisence plates. I think whisler radar has something like a film that goes on lisence plates so not as reflective.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by myownnismo

First of all radar and lasar use reflective light so thats why lights and lisence plates. I think whisler radar has something like a film that goes on lisence plates so not as reflective.
Radar uses radio frequencies, not reflective light. This is why protective license plate frames, for example, have very little affect on radar. Yes, a license plate film may absorb or refract radar frequencies slightly, but the license plate only makes up a very small portion of your vehicle's surface that a radar uses to get a returned frequency, ie. speed reading.

Laser uses an insanely thin, narrow beam to return a vehicle speed, whereas radar uses a comparably MUCH wider beam. Therefore, officers use the license plates to aim the laser (not radar)and get the speed reading. The rest of the car will still return an accurate speed reading, but not as as quickly and at not at as great a distance. Radar can be aimed in the general direction of a vehicle and get a reading. However, radar cannot pick a speeding car out of a group of cars and give the officer the speed reading on that specific vehicle. Laser can.

Also, NO radar detector in the world can save you if the officer is using instant-on stationary radar. Radar waves travel at the speed of light and the speed reading is nearly instantaneous. By the time your radar detector is going off it just means you've already been caught. But if a cop is using radar on vehicles ahead of you, or just driving down the road using moving radar with it on all the time...then your radar detector will save your butt.

And whoever suggested not to buy cheap radar detectors is very correct. Buy the most expensive you can afford because the cheap ones are worthless. By the time they go off several seconds have passed since the radar beam was already active. I don't know why big companies bother making these, probably because people don't know any better and think they're getting a good deal.

Tony
Old 01-22-2002, 01:49 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Radar uses radio frequencies, not reflective light. This is why protective license plate frames, for example, have very little affect on radar. Yes, a license plate film may absorb or refract radar frequencies slightly, but the license plate only makes up a very small portion of your vehicle's surface that a radar uses to get a returned frequency, ie. speed reading.

Laser uses an insanely thin, narrow beam to return a vehicle speed, whereas radar uses a comparably MUCH wider beam. Therefore, officers use the license plates to aim the laser (not radar)and get the speed reading. The rest of the car will still return an accurate speed reading, but not as as quickly and at not at as great a distance. Radar can be aimed in the general direction of a vehicle and get a reading. However, radar cannot pick a speeding car out of a group of cars and give the officer the speed reading on that specific vehicle. Laser can.

Also, NO radar detector in the world can save you if the officer is using instant-on stationary radar. Radar waves travel at the speed of light and the speed reading is nearly instantaneous. By the time your radar detector is going off it just means you've already been caught. But if a cop is using radar on vehicles ahead of you, or just driving down the road using moving radar with it on all the time...then your radar detector will save your butt.

And whoever suggested not to buy cheap radar detectors is very correct. Buy the most expensive you can afford because the cheap ones are worthless. By the time they go off several seconds have passed since the radar beam was already active. I don't know why big companies bother making these, probably because people don't know any better and think they're getting a good deal.

Tony

I was just saying there name I have the BEL 980 Rated #1 in the industry. $339.95 check it out at http://www.beltronics.com/detectors.htm
have nothing on me.