5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Success!! Rough Idle - Misfire - Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Success!! Rough Idle - Misfire - Ignition Coils

Okay so, I've been hijacking other people's threads and thought I should just clarify everything that has been going on for me. I can happily say that my Maxima is back to normal... for now

Original Issue:

1. 02 Max GLE AT began to shake randomly and SES flashed (didn't know what the code was) and idled extremely rough.
2. Did some research here and cleaned my MAF and relearn processes (no improvement)
3. Got progressively worse with a solid SES light and P0303 code (At this point I have my own OBDII scan tool with Torque Pro app)
4. Took it to my mechanic and he said it was a cylinder 3 misfire... recommended replacing all six plugs and the 3 rear coils.
5. Unfortunately, I didn't research quickly enough to ensure he use OEM coils.
6. $350 later, still had the misfire.
7. Took it back and he "couldn't replicate the misfire" (WTF?!) - I find that hard to believe bc it started happening more and more frequently each day I drove it.
8. After reading and researching here, I decided to tackle the issue myself.

Solution:

1. Since it was the same code and he swapped in new coils, albeit aftermarket, I thought it was odd that it would only be that one cylinder and not all three on the rear bank.
2. Removed the Intake Manifold and Throttle Body.
3. Took the airbox assembly off, just to make it easier to work with.
4. Swapped all 3 rear aftermarket coils with the front 3 OEM Factory coils.
5. Checked all the coil and injector harnesses.
6. Cleaned the throttle body. Holy crap, that thing was disgusting. I should have taken some pics, but I was losing daylight and needed to finish.
7. Got all the components back on did the relearn procedures.
8. The P0507 code came up.
9. Did the Idle Air Volume Learning process a couple of times and it cleared and stabilized the idle.

Looks like for now my misfire is gone. Not sure if it was the coils, filthy TB, or a loose harness. At any rate, thanks to everyone that commented and helped diagnose.

It seems for the age of this generation Maxima, rough idels, MAF and misfires are the most common issues popping up for us.

If you are experiencing rough idle, or getting misfire codes do the following:

1. Know exactly what the sequence, frequency and severity of events that are happening.
2. Get yourself an OBD2 scan tool so you can pull and clear your own codes
3. DO A SEARCH - punch in "Rough Idle" or "Code P0300,P0303, etc) - trust me, it will return a boat load of info.
4. If you cannot find exactly the issue, then by all means reach out and someone here has probably experienced it.
5. Be patient, if I can do it, then you can do it!

Here are some helpful links:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...10-w-pics.html

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Gar...eplacement.htm

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...a-02-03-a.html

Thanks again!!!

Nate

Last edited by alanfury75; 06-30-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 AM

Rough Idle

VQ35DE engine comes with electronic throttle assembly. Most of the forum will not recommend cleaning it ,or moving the butterfly part. Some recommend only to spray a cleaner on a clean rug, just wipe it around in front of the throttle body without touching the butterfly. If the code will come back, I believe you need a new throttle assembly. Even cleaning it , the mess will come back because of the inherent flaws of this engine (with a tapered piston). The blowby oil contaminate the intake and throttle valve. To prevent this you need to intall a PCV oil catch can.
Good Luck!!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by colt149
VQ35DE engine comes with electronic throttle assembly. Most of the forum will not recommend cleaning it ,or moving the butterfly part. Some recommend only to spray a cleaner on a clean rug, just wipe it around in front of the throttle body without touching the butterfly. If the code will come back, I believe you need a new throttle assembly. Even cleaning it , the mess will come back because of the inherent flaws of this engine (with a tapered piston). The blowby oil contaminate the intake and throttle valve. To prevent this you need to intall a PCV oil catch can.
Good Luck!!
Yep, didnt move the butterfly at all except to pat the excess cleaner off. The pressure from the cleaner was enough to remove the gunk.

Oil catch can is a potential mod, I'll wait it out. The car is 12 years old so how much I spend to fix and modify needs to be monitored. I was not the original owner, so I'm just trying to get back to square one with it.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

Congrats and nice job.

...time to tackle the suspension so it handles as nice as it idles now?

Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 PM

good job dude
Old 06-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Congrats and nice job.

...time to tackle the suspension so it handles as nice as it idles now?

Soon, maybe. But I MAY have to go it alone to save some $$$.

Dude, you have kids? If not, wait as long as possible to have them.. they are a black hole for your money!! LOL
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Suspension Yoda

Understandably so, however I'll bet TIME and FRUSTRATION are a more important commodity.

And to save on both, I highly recommend having me doing the install. Trust me, I charge a very fair price.