5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

KYB Excel G / GR-2 Rough Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

KYB Excel G / GR-2 Rough Ride?

Just replaced my oem struts with 104k on em on my 02 gle with these shocks. Car hands a lot better and feels more responsive but the ride is rough, you can feel every little bump in the road. I live in NY and the roads are terrible so you can really notice the difference. I thought these were supposed to be close to OEM replacements? Do struts need a period to break in and will get softer?

EDIT: Btw I replaced stock strut mounts with moog. I also had a alignment a couple months ago when I put in new tie rods with the old struts. Could it possibly need another alignment with the new struts?

Last edited by beezieweezie; 06-12-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by beezieweezie
Just replaced my oem struts with 104k on em on my 02 gle with these shocks. Car hands a lot better and feels more responsive but the ride is rough, you can feel every little bump in the road. I live in NY and the roads are terrible so you can really notice the difference. I thought these were supposed to be close to OEM replacements? Do struts need a period to break in and will get softer? EDIT: Btw I replaced stock strut mounts with moog. I also had a alignment a couple months ago when I put in new tie rods with the old struts. Could it possibly need another alignment with the new struts?
yes

Sent from my iPad using and abusin Maxima.Org
Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have GR2s as well. I think they would be best described as a bit stiffer than stock SE suspension. GLE/GXE ride is softer. I have OEM size 16" rims on my car so the ride comfort didn't take as big a hit either.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by beezieweezie
Just replaced my oem struts with 104k on em on my 02 gle with these shocks. Car hands a lot better and feels more responsive but the ride is rough, you can feel every little bump in the road. I live in NY and the roads are terrible so you can really notice the difference. I thought these were supposed to be close to OEM replacements? Do struts need a period to break in and will get softer?

EDIT: Btw I replaced stock strut mounts with moog. I also had a alignment a couple months ago when I put in new tie rods with the old struts. Could it possibly need another alignment with the new struts?
You always need an alignment after changing struts...
Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
You always need an alignment after changing struts...
^^^ THIS, you need alignment after any suspension work like this.

Also, I have GR2's as well which are rather new still (about 5k miles) with H&R springs and the ride isn't harsh at all, if you're feeling a harsh ride on GR2's and not even lowered then I say something is probably not installed correctly.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Suspension Yoda

This is one of the first reports of a harsh ride on GR-2. What *else* do you have installed?

Or, what else haven't you replaced? Control arm bushings? Motor mounts? Any of these things (if not replaced) can lead to a rough ride which may make it seem like it's the struts, but in actuality are not.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 AM

It think you're just noticing the large difference between blown jello feeling shocks vs nice new firm shocks.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
This is one of the first reports of a harsh ride on GR-2. What *else* do you have installed?

Or, what else haven't you replaced? Control arm bushings? Motor mounts? Any of these things (if not replaced) can lead to a rough ride which may make it seem like it's the struts, but in actuality are not.
Only thing I've replaced on the car since I bought it with 80k on it is... struts, strut mounts, dust boots, tie rods. Haven't touched motor mounts, control arm bushing etc.

The car does seem to sit a little bit higher after the install though, is that normal? I'll get a picture on here in a little bit. Anything I can check to see if they were installed correctly?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Suspension Yoda

If you're sitting a bit higher, it should not be noticeable. You're on the same springs. It should be a VERY minimal difference if any.

Make sure your upper spring perch is aligned. The "OUT" stamp should be aligned with the lower strut bracket, effectively facing out.

Make sure the lowest coil on the spring is seated properly on the lower strut perch.

If everything is installed properly, your suspension is now properly absorbing transferring/energy. However your motor mounts / control arms could be so far gone that the weakest link is now taking the brute of the force. Before, your struts were the weakest link. Now they are not.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here's how it sits now. I don't know if it's all in my head or if that is sitting higher than stock?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Suspension Yoda

Looks fine.

Doesn't mean it's installed correctly though. (It may be, I just don't know)