5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

17" OE WHeel Owners please reply

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 09:31 PM

17" OE WHeel Owners please reply

OK quick explanation and quick question...

I am looking into new rims and tires 17*7 45offset, etc....

This guy on the phone told me i needed these"hub rings" or "ring" type thing... i have no clue...said it prevents vibration of some sort.

I want to know if the stock SE (with the 17s) has those "rings".. i dont want to buy anything i dont need.
I wouldnt know because i have a GLE(with 16s)...
THanks for the info

Roger
Old 01-21-2002, 11:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alright Roger listen to me on this, the guy is full of BS. Cause this one shop told me the same thing. The Hub ring is this little ring that goes in the center of the Hub on the rotor. They are supposed to keep the wheels perfectly in the center of the hub, which means so the lug nuts are all centered perfectly before tightening. Most of the people seem to believe it is needed to have a perfect balance, but that is a load of crap cause that ring dont do a damnn thing while balancing.

I mean the main key to the ring is that it centers the lugs so when the shop begins to tighten the lugs with a impact wrench, they are all centered and the wheel is ready to go, the other way without a ring, when the wheel is on the hub, it is resting lower, so the lugs are not centered. Now when a shop begins to tighten the bolts with a impact wrench, you can get into a situation that the bolt may remain tightened off-center. But the chances of that are always 0.9% because most bolts are tapered and it automatically centers the bolt in the center of the lugs. Secondly make sure you tell a shop NOT to use an impact wrench since you got nice wheels, they should be Hand torqing it anyways.

My wheels dont have them, and let me tell you, i been upto 125mph, and there is not one bit of shaking.

Dixit
Old 01-21-2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Alright Roger listen to me on this, the guy is full of BS. Cause this one shop told me the same thing. The Hub ring is this little ring that goes in the center of the Hub on the rotor. They are supposed to keep the wheels perfectly in the center of the hub, which means so the lug nuts are all centered perfectly before tightening. Most of the people seem to believe it is needed to have a perfect balance, but that is a load of crap cause that ring dont do a damnn thing while balancing.

I mean the main key to the ring is that it centers the lugs so when the shop begins to tighten the lugs with a impact wrench, they are all centered and the wheel is ready to go, the other way without a ring, when the wheel is on the hub, it is resting lower, so the lugs are not centered. Now when a shop begins to tighten the bolts with a impact wrench, you can get into a situation that the bolt may remain tightened off-center. But the chances of that are always 0.9% because most bolts are tapered and it automatically centers the bolt in the center of the lugs. Secondly make sure you tell a shop NOT to use an impact wrench since you got nice wheels, they should be Hand torqing it anyways.

My wheels dont have them, and let me tell you, i been upto 125mph, and there is not one bit of shaking.

Dixit
Listen to BigDog, I have 18X8 and no shaking here....Save your cash and get some other usefull mods. And if anything, suppose your wheels do shake(they wont) you could add that later. Good Luck
Old 01-22-2002, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by jhans114

Listen to BigDog, I have 18X8 and no shaking here....Save your cash and get some other usefull mods. And if anything, suppose your wheels do shake(they wont) you could add that later. Good Luck
Maxima's need to have hub-centric wheels. When you buy aftermarket wheels there is a little plastic ring that fits on the inside of the wheel. That ring then fits perfectly on the hub of the car. If you buy aftermarket wheels they usually throw these things in for free. I haven't looked at the stock wheels to see if they have a plastic ring or if they are machined to fit the maxima hub.

I agree that the lug nuts should center the hub since they are tappered....but if the wheel is off by just a fraction of a inch you will be able to feel it!
Old 01-22-2002, 08:11 AM

i was told the same thing, but my rims came with them but when i had them on i had vibration??? Took them off and everything is fine
Old 01-22-2002, 08:26 AM

they should come with the rims you buy. the stock wheels won't have them because they are made to fit our cars hub only. when a wheel manufacturer makes wheels for numerous car lines they create a hub opening for the largest car, then give a metal ring that slips inside the wheel to make it fit correctly on your car. they shouldn't be extra and if they are, not much extra.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
they should come with the rims you buy. the stock wheels won't have them because they are made to fit our cars hub only. when a wheel manufacturer makes wheels for numerous car lines they create a hub opening for the largest car, then give a metal ring that slips inside the wheel to make it fit correctly on your car. they shouldn't be extra and if they are, not much extra.
yeah, mine came free with the momo rims i purchased from stillen.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:36 PM

If the rims come with the centering rings - use them. Many of the newer rims look nice, but are hard to dynamically balance. Even though the rim/tire is statically balanced to the best of the shop's abilities if it is not perfectly centered on the hub it may still cause a vibration (usually at 70km/h and higher).