5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Quiet flow SS drone, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Quiet flow SS drone, what next?

My 2001 AE auto max resonator and muffler were rusting so I purchased the Walker Quiet Flow SS expecting stock sound levels (based on reviews here at the org). Nope. Its not loud by any measure but I'm hearing a drone at highway speeds, while accelerating between 50-65 or just cruising at those speeds.

The exhaust shop noted that the gasket walker sends for this exhaust (31374 goes between resonator and muffler) wasn't the best but it should work. They said a cone type gasket would work better. I contacted walker and told the gasket they sent is 2 1/4" but the pipe is 2". They said its fine, supposed to be that way and not an issue. I gave the shop the go ahead to use the walker supplied gasket and they said everything was sealed. I don't hear a leak near the gasket but I do hear some drone type noise from the tailpipe. My cats are only a few months old and I have no mods other than this aftermarket exhaust.

Any possibility it could be the gasket? Would lining the trunk with sound deadener make a difference in drone? Should I attempt to return this and get the OE unit?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM

I've had the exact combo on my 03 and it was dead quiet. check for leaks with it running.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 AM

It seems like my issue is unique with this setup. The shop just informed me they did not take the car up to highway speed, so they'll do that tomorrow and let me know their thoughts. I just don't want to get hit with another labor fee. It was my parts but their labor so I guess they've got a right to charge again to install another gasket. Not sure though because the owner said "We charged you the full hour ($108) because there was a small hole that needed welding at the top of the exhaust (I should've looked before giving the go ahead). It's all sealed up now and you're good to go." This shop has a good reputation and also does custom exhaust work for high performance cars. Not sure how I'm going to approach the owner about this yet.

Could any of this noise be due to the fact that my car is an AE model? It says the exhaust is not for the AE, but if fits the hangers and lines up perfect. So confused right now. I wonder if any other members with an AE have used this setup. Defective muffler?

Last edited by Domf3; 07-23-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 AM

There shouldn't be an additional charge if the shop is fair and you need to change that gasket. It is literally a 2 min. job. If they are a muffler shop they should have gaskets there as well.

The difference between the AE version and non-AE version IIRC was just the tips. The AE version has tips that bent downwards because the rear valence is straight across. The non-AE version as tips that come straight out from the rear because that bumper was different and had a relief to accept straight tips. There would be no difference in sound.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Sounds like maybe a small leak somewhere. Otherwise, those are quiet and you really shouldn't hear it at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:34 PM

Took it back to the shop. Test drove the car, tech didn't hear it. He put it on the lift and showed me that everything is sealed. I couldn't detect any leaks. I've got a feeling its the muffler.

I'm going to spray underbody coating in the wheel well areas (inside trunk) then cover the entire thing with sound deadener. I already did the doors and top deck lid of the trunk to kill off any rattles from my subwoofer and that worked.

Anybody have tips on using underbody coating to do the wheel well openings from inside the trunk? Is there a better product? How do I prep it before spraying (e.g., any sanding required and if so what grit).

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 PM

Not sure why you have the drone but also remember that it will also quiet down in about 500 miles when the new muffler and new resonator (you did get a resonator, right?) coats itself with carbon buildup.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:20 PM

I hear some noise at the muffler tips (more than oem muffler). The tips are tucked under the bumper, a couple inches back. I like how it looks hidden. I wonder if the tips not clearing the bumper results in the noise I'm hearing?

I'm going to deaden the trunk (planning to do that anyway) to see if it helps. If not I'll put some tips on the muffler to extend them out the back. I'll report back with the results. MLV should solve this.