5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Debris Sticking to the Front Radiator Fins

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Debris Sticking to the Front Radiator Fins

Do you guys have patches or specific sections of debris collection like dirt, feathers and other crap stuck to the front of your radiator?

See the pic below where I've circled. I have misted some anti-rust material to the rad support between the rad and AC condenser, but I don't recall ever directly hitting the rad fins with oil.

If anyone has experience with this, is this normal or is it coolant seeping from the radiator fins, causing these sticky spots? I recall having this on the original rad, but this Koyo one I installed has only been 2 years.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM

I doubt if it is a coolant leak causing that. If you had a radiator leak, the antifreeze would be blown on the engine. Antifreeze that hits a hot engine looks like dried mud after it cooks and dries.

I would just clean the spot with soap or degreaser and see if it comes back.

I'm guessing that you don't have any similar mark on the a/c condenser coil since you didn't mention it.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I doubt if it is a coolant leak causing that. If you had a radiator leak, the antifreeze would be blown on the engine. Antifreeze that hits a hot engine looks like dried mud after it cooks and dries.

I would just clean the spot with soap or degreaser and see if it comes back.

I'm guessing that you don't have any similar mark on the a/c condenser coil since you didn't mention it.
Hi Dennis, thanks for your insights. No, nothing on the condenser, which is the weird thing since the condenser is the forward-facing component that shields the front of the installed rad, yet it is the rad that has these sticky areas. I'll do as you suggest and clean the area.

Amazingly, my AC condenser is original 2002 despite enduring East Coast weather. Still working like a champ even after 170K miles, and I believe the key to AC longevity is luck (no rocks hitting it) and frequent use so the seals get lubed.