5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those who installed baby seats in their 5th gens

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM

For those who installed baby seats in their 5th gens

Hey there, I'm sure there still are a handful of members on here who installed a babyseat in a 5th gen. For the rear facing baby seat, did you install it in the middle or on the side like behind the passenger seat? Did it leave the front seat passenger with no legroom?

And what baby seats did you guys use? My wife is 5 months pregnant and I am starting to look at baby seats. I don't drive the car much since we live in the city (only drive about 3 weekends a month), but I don't plan on trading the car in anytime soon if I can help it.

I'm looking at the Britax B Safe baby seat but I still need to look around more. I know that the install is more critical than the car seat itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Britax-B-Safe-...itax+B-Safe+30

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Installed it on the right side of the seat (behind from passenger seat). I usually drive and my wife doesn't need the leg room like I do.

You can install it in the middle if you wish. We tried it and didn't feel it was stable enough (or my wife didn't) so we moved it to the side.

I have no idea what kind of baby seat it was...it was my sister in law's baby seat. I'm sure whatever baby seat you get it will be fine, just look at all of the reviews and any potential recalls that company has had on their baby seats in the past.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 PM

Put it in the middle. This is the car seat that I had for my little one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing was a tank, I bought one for each car. I used it all the way up until last year when my kid got a little too big for it, he's 4 now but big for his age so you may be able to use it even longer. It's convertible also so you can flip it forward when it's time to forward face it.

I didn't have any issues with this car seat in the middle. Other brands may be different but the middle is where mine fit the best. Didn't have to move the seats much at all.

Last edited by Emaximus; 08-07-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm really tall (6'7") so I'm not sure if a seat will fit comfortably in the middle with me being able to drive the manual transmission.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Thanks for the info guys. I'm really tall (6'7") so I'm not sure if a seat will fit comfortably in the middle with me being able to drive the manual transmission.
I have my seat all the way back and it fits. Guess it depends on how big the seat is you are getting. I had to move my seat up to put it in, and then placed it back into the comfortable driving position. This actually helped wedge the seat in for a nice snug fit. In general though, the middle will be the safest place for the little one. When you put it in, you will need to put your entire body weight on the seat and secure it. Our vehicles don't have the latch system (2000-2002 models I think) which became required in all vehicles manufactured after sept. 1, 2002, so you will just have to use the seat belt, which works very well.

Regardless of what you do, make sure it is installed properly. I can't tell you how many car seats I've seen improperly installed when they bring it to the fire station. Most people aren't doing it right and don't bother enough to even read the instructions. If in doubt, take it to your local fire station and those guys should be able to help you out.

Last edited by Emaximus; 08-08-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Emaximus
I have my seat all the way back and it fits. Guess it depends on how big the seat is you are getting. I had to move my seat up to put it in, and then placed it back into the comfortable driving position. This actually helped wedge the seat in for a nice snug fit. In general though, the middle will be the safest place for the little one. When you put it in, you will need to put your entire body weight on the seat and secure it. Our vehicles don't have the latch system (2000-2002 models I think) which became required in all vehicles manufactured after sept. 1, 2002, so you will just have to use the seat belt, which works very well.

Regardless of what you do, make sure it is installed properly. I can't tell you how many car seats I've seen improperly installed when they bring it to the fire station. Most people aren't doing it right and don't bother enough to even read the instructions. If in doubt, take it to your local fire station and those guys should be able to help you out.
Thanks, I am going to look for the latches this weekend when I pick up the car form the parking spot. I searched on here and think that only the 2000-2001 are the ones that don't have them. I would prefer the middle if possible for it is the safest spot in case of an accident.