5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Using my Apexi Neo anddd ... to datalog street tuning pulls

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Using my Apexi Neo anddd ... to datalog street tuning pulls

Im planning to install an Apexi Neo, and know that I need the ability to datalog on a laptop or preferrably tablet for street tuning capabilities.

I'm looking at Zeitronix ZT-3 with the ZR-1 gauge. Listed here, but available even slightly cheaper. http://zeitronix.com/Mailings/2012_12_11_NewLowerPrice.htm

Based on post #5 on this thread, http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?805050-apexi-neo-install!-questions-and-concerns#/forumsite/20626/topics/805050 I'm led to believe that the ZT-2, as well as ZT-3 I would assume, offers datalogging of every signal that I need for street tuning?

Thanks for any thoughts. or advice as to the proper/inexpensive way to do this hah.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM

I applaud you for asking a real tech question. I have been researching also before I buy any exhaust or airflow modifications, but around here anything other than spark plug questions, or coil packs, you are on your own. What are you tuning for? Exhaust, intake, nitrous? What are the reasons for the tuning and datalogging, and maybe I can shed a little light on the subject.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:12 PM

thanks man. Ohh there's still a few smart and nice mothafukkahs floatin around here hah. Strangely, I seem to encounter them more frequently in classifieds threads! Hah.

Anyways. Only mod on there is a short ram intake, filter behind battery.
In my living room, I've gor headers and a y pipe. Now that I'm about to complete my tuning suite, I can also pick up a 4" maf NWP upper and lower spacers, and my CXJ Vias block off plate will complete things for now.

Oh, and a new catback. I think I'm goin 2.5 inch, but its supposed to only be good to 250 hp. I plan to eventually be at 260-280, and may also go turbo in the future. So 3 inch is kinda callin my name hah.

Originally Posted by WTF?
I applaud you for asking a real tech question. I have been researching also before I buy any exhaust or airflow modifications, but around here anything other than spark plug questions, or coil packs, you are on your own. What are you tuning for? Exhaust, intake, nitrous? What are the reasons for the tuning and datalogging, and maybe I can shed a little light on the subject.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ZT-2 is perfectly fine. (That's what I used on my 4th gen). By data logging you are being a little safer by making your pulls them adjusting fuel when you are stopped - please be careful while doing your pulls. I did mine in 3rd gear due to the fact that in 4th I would need to be going upto about 120mph+. 4th gear is ideal to get an accurate afr but 3rd worked well for me for a street tune till I got to the dyno.

The software for the ZT-2 isn't that intensive so you don't really need an extremely powerful machine. Just a good basic laptop would suffice.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 AM

I applaud you for asking a real tech question. I have been researching also before I buy any exhaust or airflow modifications, but around here anything other than spark plug questions, or coil packs, you are on your own.
That's only because people don't like to spoon-feed certain individuals, especially when the question pertains to something that has been covered here a hundred times

If you ever cared to look, or do a search, you would find a sh*t ton of information for anything and everything you can imagine, very few things haven't been covered here over the years, being that these cars are 10+ yrs old...

I've almost never had to ask anything here, because you can usually find the answer out there already.

Ever been to the advanced performance section?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

I used to data log for street tuning, don't anymore, not for street tuning only on the dyno.

Just get the ZT3 w/readout and you'll be fine, no logging requited, but it's upgradeable if you want to. Not needed though. I have a 4" MAF/Intake, 440's and I don't log. I'll do my timing every now and then but it doesn't change unless my MAF size &/or AFC correction %'s change, which we all know why that works.

https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...g-advance.html

But, depending on your mods, it be nice to get a baseline on timing and airflow at least. Though the latter will be obsolete if you upgrade (if you already haven't) your MAF ID.

What are your mods?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I used to data log for street tuning, don't anymore, not for street tuning only on the dyno.

Just get the ZT3 w/readout and you'll be fine, no logging requited, but it's upgradeable if you want to. Not needed though. I have a 4" MAF/Intake, 440's and I don't log. I'll do my timing every now and then but it doesn't change unless my MAF size &/or AFC correction %'s change, which we all know why that works.

https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...g-advance.html

But, depending on your mods, it be nice to get a baseline on timing and airflow at least. Though the latter will be obsolete if you upgrade (if you already haven't) your MAF ID.

What are your mods?
Informative and awesome timing/afc thread that I somehow hadn't been in, thank you man!

Waittt a minute. So you just look over, and make fuel adjustments while at WOT, near the top of 4th gear?? I guess I suck cause I feel that I'd definitely need datalogging to look back on and make my changes while looking at afterwards.

Idk. Im still a bit of a noob to the AFC world. My mechanic will be the one doing the street tuning, but if itll be easier in the end, then I'll just go pay for dyno-time and tuning, especially if it will mean a more accurate tune!

Only Current Performance Mod: is a short ram intake, filter behind battery.
In my living room, I've gor headers and a y pipe. Now that I'm about to complete my tuning suite, I will finally be able to pick up a 4" maf from cant_get_ryte. Then NWP upper and lower spacers, and my CXJ Vias block off plate will complete things for now.
I'd like to add an AFPR, and stick with stock injectors, unless that's a dumb plan?
Oh, and a new catback, most likely keepin my cat though. I think I'm goin 2.5 inch, but thats supposed to only be good to 250 hp. I plan to eventually be at 260-280, and may also go turbo in the future. So 3 inch is kinda callin my name hah.

Last edited by 5.5SE6MT; 10-30-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 AM

02+ Maximas use a returnless fuel system with a regulator that is in the tank. Upgrading your injectors is an easier option than converting to a return fuel system. (let me know if you need injectors I have them).

3" cat-back is mandatory don't **** money on a 2.5" now.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 PM

I have a relevant question to the guys posting of the tuning in this thread. How much power are you making, and how quick is the car? Are there any time slips to these tuning options? I have no problem with the effort towards making the car quicker, if it does do so. I only ask because any of the Lsx based vehicles that I mess with HPtuners on, only adds maybe 20whp at best. So is the expense worth the effort, or is this justa thing for tinkering?
Old 10-31-2014, 03:52 PM

I have a relevant question to the guys posting of the tuning in this thread. How much power are you making, and how quick is the car? Are there any time slips to these tuning options? I have no problem with the effort towards making the car quicker, if it does do so. I only ask because any of the Lsx based vehicles that I mess with HPtuners on, only adds maybe 20whp at best. So is the expense worth the effort, or is this justa thing for tinkering?
It definitely isn't tinkering.

With the mods I'm bolting on, my car would either not run, or run dangerously lean (from the 4" maf, ) or excessively rich. Either way, dangerous/shltty! proper AFC Tuning is a requirement, not a consideration.

Also, the WOT timing advances that you can gain are significant and delightful. Search it up
Old 10-31-2014, 04:05 PM

This platform is very expensive to mod.. Aftermarket support is minimum
Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by george__
This platform is very expensive to mod.. Aftermarket support is minimum

^
Lol