5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Whining Noise after replacing high pressure power steering hose

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM

Whining Noise after replacing high pressure power steering hose

About a two week ago I went to get a oil change andthe guys said I needed a new high pressure power steering hose on my 01 SE. Heshowed me where it was leaking and a few days later I had it replaced. Afterhaving the hose replace and as soon as I started the car I heard a load whiningnoise. I went back in the shop and the guys said it was the power steering pumpand that it would go away. I waited a few days and went back to the shopbecause the noise didn't go away. They drained the power steering fluidreplaced the power steering fluid, but noise is still there. He told me thepower steering pump need to be replaced. Do you think it's the power steeringpump, could it be the type of the power steering fluid used, or could the noisebecoming from somewhere else?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:05 AM

Did the shop replace the hose with an OEM hose or an aftermarket hose? Aftermarket hoses are more affordable but are known to be noisy.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:13 AM

^^^ that's true.

Another thing is if they did not use the proper oil in the power steering pump. Nissans do not use the standard power steering fluid. They use Dexron ATF oil.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM
100% chingon

They used a third party cheap and nasty hose. I had mine replaced about 4 months ago and the mechanic told me straight up:
"I can buy an OEM hose (mucho $$$) or a cheap hose or I know a place that makes them properly... if they are not reinforced at the bends, they make a whining noise because every time you turn the wheel, they lose pressure."
I chose the option of one properly made-up and haven't had any trouble. It's a really LONG hose - about two metres and with all sorts of bends in it.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same issue with a BMW M5 after a hose replacement( aftermarket)---- noise did dissipate after about 6 weeks-- I assumed it was air in the system --- but a kink in a bend might have the same effect----
Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM

It wasn't an OEM hose from the dealer. It's a known issue with these cars. All the aftermarket hoses make the noise. You can either live with the noise or pony up the money and buy one from the dealer.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 AM

WRONG!!!! I have combed these forums over and over, in all instances of whineing the aftermarket hose was installed INCORRECTLY. the system has to be purged of air and air bubble before it's started ,this is crucial or it causes caviation. [spelling] got my aftermarket from rockauto, no issues at all. i jack it up and turned the the wheel all the way left and all the way right back and forth for 10 minutes straight.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 PM

^lol
Old 11-06-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the reply's guys. The hose is an aftermarket hose. Sounds like that's my problem. I'm pretty sure I can get my money back for the aftermarket hose, but I don't want to go though all this if it has to do with the install. I have to do something because that noise is driving me crazy.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by BlackFlux
Thanks for all the reply's guys. The hose is an aftermarket hose. Sounds like that's my problem. I'm pretty sure I can get my money back for the aftermarket hose, but I don't want to go though all this if it has to do with the install. I have to do something because that noise is driving me crazy.

the sound will go away, mine did.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:09 PM

i'd take it back, have them take the power steering fluid lid off, put it on the rack or jack up the front then turn the wheel back and forth for a bit, that should help and or make the sounds go way completely.

Chances are they did NOT read the instructions on the hose's package.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks. I want to say they did that when they replaced the power steering fluid. I'll have them do that before trying to replace it with an OEM one.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks. I want to say they did that when they replaced the power steering fluid. I'll have them do that before trying to replace it with an OEM one.
just know the OEM hose will eventually have the same problem again, it's design flaw.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:42 PM

pick one up from the junkyard. It's not even hard to take it apart, maybe like 4 screws total. Then after learning how to take it off, then you can put it on yours. That's what I did. Had a big leak and FIX IT ASAP before it gets all over your control arm ball joint and ruins your ball joint. Happened to me, now I got to get a new ball joint. lesson learned. haven't had whining sounds. it could also be the you are low on fluid.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
just know the OEM hose will eventually have the same problem again, it's design flaw.
They go around 100k miles. It's not like it breaks in a year. These cars are roughly 14 years old.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

mine is also from Rockauto.. it whines like crazy, i just turn the radio louder and problem solved....lol
Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Senorbolero
I had the same issue with a BMW M5 after a hose replacement( aftermarket)---- noise did dissipate after about 6 weeks-- I assumed it was air in the system --- but a kink in a bend might have the same effect----
What year do you own?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
They go around 100k miles. It's not like it breaks in a year. These cars are roughly 14 years old.
thats not always the case. the started popping off at 20-40k miles. i spent a few days reading all the old threads quite a few them started failing early.

it also depends on the climate. the reason is, nissan for what every reason stupidity or government regulation used FOAM as a heat shield for the rubber section of the hose.

THE AFTERMARKET VERSION, has true heat shielding material to help prevent material breakdown due to hot cold cycling. Also the after market has longer metal sections a bit less rubber which translate in to less of the weak link, less rubber less chance to fail.

I can tell how i know this too, we did FOUR hose clamps, after throughal cleaning and roughing up of the nipple with low grit snap paper.

the second i touch that wheel stop pull out of the drive... BAM!!! it was the rubber giving way it was very very very soft, it has begun to loose it's strength and rigidy due to all they ears of Missouri summers and winters and engine heat since foam is not necessarily a good heat insulator.

suffice to say i learned a lot when i when through this my self.

EDIT: another reason for whining is pin hole leak somewhere introduction air in to the system OR forgetting to add a crush washer. it whines because of cavitation which means air is the system which also means metal on metal. (not very good on the pump)

Last edited by cdoublejj; 11-07-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
WRONG!!!! I have combed these forums over and over, in all instances of whineing the aftermarket hose was installed INCORRECTLY. the system has to be purged of air and air bubble before it's started ,this is crucial or it causes caviation. [spelling] got my aftermarket from rockauto, no issues at all. i jack it up and turned the the wheel all the way left and all the way right back and forth for 10 minutes straight.
i'm with you, my aftermarket is silent. i was patient to follow the bleed procedure and get all the air out.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:41 PM

There's nothing wrong with the aftermarket hoses.

What I believe is that the people are installing the hoses, bleeding the system then installing the bracket.

If the bracket is installed after the bleeding or the hose is moved around too much it could introduce air into the system.

This is what I did and I have a buzzing noise.

(BTW it's easier to install the bracket when you squeeze the U a bit with a vice grip. The hole lines up a bit easier. )

at first I thought it could've been a belt tension issue but I replaced belt and tightened to 120 lbs.

Everything was great until I tried to install foam from hardware store on the hose. removed bracket weeks after bleeding the system to put the foam on then I got a whining.

I took the foam off a month or two later and still a whine.

Does the whine go away or will the pump have to be replaced?

Last edited by maximatech12; 06-26-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 PM

I searched the org and got this
"I replaced pump and still a whine"

Now my question is
I'm getting no pressure when turning hard left/right.
I don't have an OPG hooked up but I can see no pressure when wheel turned.

I think it's a stuck FCV in the P/S pump.

Is there a way to free the valve up?

Last edited by maximatech12; 06-27-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
I searched the org and got this
I replaced pump and still a whine

I'm getting no pressure when turning hard left/right.
I don't have an OPG hooked up but I can see no pressure when wheel turned.

I think it's a stuck FCV in the P/S pump.

Is there a way to free the valve up?
take it back to whoever installed the pump and make them fix it
Old 06-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by cornholio
take it back to whoever installed the pump and make them fix it
His literacy proficiency is abysmal. He searched and found that post. We really need a mod to step up.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
His literacy proficiency is abysmal. He searched and found that post. We really need a mod to step up.
why can't you be a mod?
Old 06-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by cornholio
why can't you be a mod?

Seriously, though, idk. I guess I have to contact site owner and ask.