5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAF problem ? please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 AM
mr2
Newbie - Just Registered

MAF problem ? please help

hey guys. its been a while that the car dosent rev past 2500 rpm.. i found a way around it i turn the key off and on a few times im not sure what the excact sequence is.. but it eventually starts running normal again!

i have an exhaust leak (split off the cat) after the cat.. so it sounds beautiful haha!

and when i cleaned my air filter i may have touched the thottle flap inside the maf.

does it need a recalibration ?

also oddly when its really cold outside it works. but as soon as i start the car after its warm it goes back to limp mode.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:05 AM

Replace MAF with an OEM part after checking codes to verify your problem...which is probably your MAF.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

if you have an 00-01, playing with the plate is fine, but on 02-03 is a no no. your rpm issue is an MAF problem, you can get a new one here. www.courtesy-parts.com
Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 AM

I recently changed my maf. Same issue. Get an oem maf dont go aftermarket they tend to give issues.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:42 PM
i1k
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This just happened to me this past Sunday: hard judders OR no acceleration (as if on two cylinders) past 2400. I sanded the MAF grounds to engine block to make sure there was good contact and did the idle air relearn below).

For 2000 Maxima Idle Air Relearn Without CONSULT-II

1. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 1 second.
2. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRE-CONDITIONING” (mentioned below) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Start the engine and let it idle for at least 30 seconds.
7. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connector (brown), then reconnect it within 5 seconds.
8. Wait 20 seconds.
9. Make sure that idle speed is within specifications. If not, the result will be incomplete. In this case, find the cause of the problem by referring to the NOTE below.
10. Rev up the engine two or three times. Make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within specifications.

Idle speed
VQ30DE M/T: 625±50 rpm
A/T: 700±50 rpm (in “P” or “N” position)

Ignition timing
VQ30DE M/T: 15°±5° BTDC
A/T: 15°±5° BTDC (in “P” or “N” position)

PRE-CONDITIONING:
Before performing “Idle Air Volume Learning”, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 99°C (158 - 210°F)
- PNP switch: ON
- Electric load switch: OFF - (Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)

On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, set lighting switch to the 1st position to light only small lamps.
- Cooling fan motor: Not operating
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up

For 2002 Maxima Idle Air Volume Learning Without CONSULT-II

NOTE:
- It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
- It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit has a malfunction.
- Before perform “Idle Air Volume Learning”, make sure that “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning” and “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning” are completed (steps outlined below).
1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
2. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRE-CONDITIONING”
(items outlined below) are in good order.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition
switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
5. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
1) Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
2) Fully release the accelerator pedal.
6. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep
it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL goes off.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.
8. Start engine and let it idle.
9. Wait 20 seconds.
10. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

PREPARATION
Before performing “Idle Air Volume Learning”, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are
missed for even a moment.
- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 99°C (158 - 210°F)
- PNP switch: ON
- Electric load switch: OFF - (Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, set lighting switch to the 1st position to light only small lamps.
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up

Idle speed:
MT: 625±50 rpm
AT: 675±50 rpm (in “P” or “N” position)

Ignition timing:
MT: 15±5° BTDC
AT: 15±5° BTDC (in “P” or “N” position)

2002 Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
“Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning” must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
“Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning” must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
2. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Originally Posted by mr2
hey guys. its been a while that the car dosent rev past 2500 rpm.. i found a way around it i turn the key off and on a few times im not sure what the excact sequence is.. but it eventually starts running normal again!

i have an exhaust leak (split off the cat) after the cat.. so it sounds beautiful haha!

and when i cleaned my air filter i may have touched the thottle flap inside the maf.

does it need a recalibration ?

also oddly when its really cold outside it works. but as soon as i start the car after its warm it goes back to limp mode.
Attached Thumbnails MAF problem ? please help-2000-maf-engine-ground.jpg   MAF problem ? please help-2002-maf-engine-ground.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by i1k
This just happened to me this past Sunday: hard judders OR no acceleration (as if on two cylinders) past 2400. I sanded the MAF grounds to engine block to make sure there was good contact and did the idle air relearn below).

For 2000 Maxima Idle Air Relearn Without CONSULT-II

1. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 1 second.
2. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic “PRE-CONDITIONING” (mentioned below) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Start the engine and let it idle for at least 30 seconds.
7. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connector (brown), then reconnect it within 5 seconds.
i tried this and if i fully disconnect the brown connectors it stalls and dies....
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 AM
i1k

First things first, have you used a scanner and pulled any codes?

If there are codes, these must first be addressed/fixed for the idle air relearn procedure to work.

If the engine stalls after disconnecting throttle position, two possibly faulty parts that come to mind: the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the Idle Air Control Valve-Auxilliary Air Control Valve (IACV-AAC).

The TPS controls engine operation such as fuel cut and the IACV-AAC controls engine idle speed via fine adjustments of air through the control valve. TPS is one of a several sensors that the IACV-AAC uses to control the air that in turn controls the idle of your engine.

But because you are also having problems with reving past 2,500, I would heed the other posters above who replacing their MAF which is another sensor that provides a signal to the ECM to control the engine. A bad MAF will not allow the engine to rise more than ~2,400 rpm due to the fuel cut.

Just as FJF in post #2 said:
Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Replace MAF with an OEM part after checking codes to verify your problem...which is probably your MAF.
And if you need parts, see L1 in post #3:
Originally Posted by Lontar1
if you have an 00-01, playing with the plate is fine...your rpm issue is an MAF problem, you can get a new one here. www.courtesy-parts.com

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
i tried this and if i fully disconnect the brown connectors it stalls and dies....
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by i1k
First things first, have you used a scanner and pulled any codes?

If there are codes, these must first be addressed/fixed for the idle air relearn procedure to work.

If the engine stalls after disconnecting throttle position, two possibly faulty parts that come to mind: the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the Idle Air Control Valve-Auxilliary Air Control Valve (IACV-AAC).

The TPS controls engine operation such as fuel cut and the IACV-AAC controls engine idle speed via fine adjustments of air through the control valve. TPS is one of a several sensors that the IACV-AAC uses to control the air that in turn controls the idle of your engine.

But because you are also having problems with reving past 2,500, I would heed the other posters above who replacing their MAF which is another sensor that provides a signal to the ECM to control the engine. A bad MAF will not allow the engine to rise more than ~2,400 rpm due to the fuel cut.

Just as FJF in post #2 said:

And if you need parts, see L1 in post #3:
Had no codes for the longest, recent cold weather i think triggered iacv code ,kept driving with the cel.

Scanned for codes several days later, iacv went away but P0171 and P0172 continued driving.(tried to keep up with a fierro a couple days ago) all codes went away.

I have no way to check for pending codes tho'!

So if i read correctly :

1. Change maf to a working maf.(retest)

2. Change Tps

3. Clean or replace Iacv

Anyone willing to swap mafs for a test???
Old 12-10-2014, 01:43 PM
i1k

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Had no codes for the longest, recent cold weather i think triggered iacv code ,kept driving with the cel.

Scanned for codes several days later, iacv went away but P0171 and P0172 continued driving.(tried to keep up with a fierro a couple days ago) all codes went away.

I have no way to check for pending codes tho'!

So if i read correctly :

1. Change maf to a working maf.(retest)

2. Change Tps

3. Clean or replace Iacv

Anyone willing to swap mafs for a test???
Right on the steps.

First, I'd check the MAF's grounding (the two 10mm screws on the engine block to the left of your oil filler cap) by sanding any corrossion off the flat connectors and the engine block they are bolted to make sure there is good grounding. I've had to do this twice over 140K after pulling codes like P0100 and symptoms like yours and resolving the problem.

Check to see if the symptoms have been resolved. If not, on to the MAF

The easy way but more $$ is by getting a new MAF and installing it, or more work with no $$ if you get your multimeter out.

You can check the operation of your MAF if you have a multimeter. Heck, you need a multimeter to work on cars nowadays like you need a 1/2" or 10mm wrench.

If you go with the multimeter route here are the steps to check your MAF:

1) Check the MAFS supply circuit:

- Disconnect the MAF harness connector by pushing the green tab down and the connector will pop up.

- Turn on the ignition (do not start the engine).

-Check the voltage to terminal 4, which should be the same as your car battery voltage.

- Check terminal 2 and the voltage should be about 5 volts.

If the voltage readings are not as listed, you have a short/open circuit between the ECM relay and MAF or between ECM and MAF.

2) To check for harness continuity:

- Disconnect the ECM harness connector and check for harness continuity by checking between MAF terminal 1 and ECM terminal 61, MAF terminal 2 and ECM terminal 111, MAF terminal 3 and ECM terminal 73, and MAF terminal 4 and ECM terminal 110, 112 and ECM Relay terminal 5.

3) If you have continuity between MAF and ECM/ECM Relay, then check the MAF sensor itself:

- Reconnect harness connectors, start and warm-up engine.

- Check ECM terminal 61 and ground DO NOT USE ECM Ground or you will fry your ECM:

- At engine idle, volt at ECM terminal 61 should be between 1.2 and 1.8
- At 2,500 rpm, volt at ECM terminal 61 should be between 1.6 and 2.2
- Increase idle from 2,500 to 4,000 and volt at ECM terminal 61 should increase in response to 4.0
- Turn off engine but keep ignition switched to ON, volt at ECM terminal 61 should be about 1.0

If the voltage is out of specification, disconnect MAFS harness connector and connect it again. Then repeat above check. If it is still out of spec. Get an new MAF.