5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine overheating fluctuates

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine overheating fluctuates

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima.

Lately, it has been cold where I live in southern Arizona: about 20-30 F lows.

Normally, the temperature gauge needle stays exactly between the Hot and the Cold ends on my dashboard. However, these days, I notice that it fluctuates between normal and the extreme Hot end. I haven't yet been able to isolate what causes this because sometimes when I am idling, it could rise up or drop down. Sometimes, when I am accelerating or cruising, it could rise or drop as well. The AC/heater is blowing cold so to help things out, I turned it off but it doesn't seem to actually help at all.

I don't know if my coolant levels have anything to do with it. Sometimes, I notice that it happens even if my coolant tank is full; other times, the coolant tank is completely empty so I fill it up when that happens.

There is a check engine error code: P0217.

Can anyone help me with what may be the problem and how much it'll cost to fix?
Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Based on what you have said, I think the coolant level in the engine/radiator is low. A couple of things tell me this.
1) The check engine code of P0217 translates to Engine Coolant Over-temperature.
2) You are not getting any heat from the heater.

Checking the coolant in the plastic tank IS NOT the way to check the coolant level. To check coolant level, you remove the radiator cap WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD.

The radiator should be completely full to the top, no space for air. If you need to fill the radiator, you need to do it with the front of the car higher than the rear, such as parked on an incline or on ramps. Then you need to run the engine with the radiator cap off until the coolant heats up and starts to circulate (5 - 10 minutes). When the coolant circulates, this allows air pockets that would otherwise be trapped to get out.

Once the coolant is circulating, fill the radiator to the top and put the radiator cap on. Then add coolant to the plastic tank if needed.

Another related thing to check since you are doing work under the hood is to check the radiator cooling fans. The easiest way to do this is to turn the air conditioner on. When you do this, BOTH radiator fans should be running. If not, you have some more work to do.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you, DennisMik. I checked the coolant level in my radiator and it does look low. I will top it off tomorrow morning. I have a follow-up question: How is it possible that the overflow tank is full yet there is no coolant in the radiator? Shouldn't the tube siphon the coolant in the overflow reservoir back into the radiator if the levels are low?

Hopefully topping off the coolant in the radiator solves the problem. If so, I am wondering why the coolant level dropped in the first place. Is it normal to always have to replace coolant? If I continue to experience overheating/low-coolant-in-radiator issues, what would you recommend I check?

Last edited by noblerare; 12-26-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:37 PM

P0217

P0127 causes

Potential causes of a P0217 code include:
  • Low coolant due to leak in cooling system
  • Restriction/debris in the A/C condenser or radiator
  • Restriction/debris in the cooling system
  • Thermostat stuck closed or faulty
  • Inoperative cooling fan(s)
  • Cylinder head gasket leaking combustion into cooling system
  • Overloaded trailer towing
  • Faulty water pump (impeller broken/damaged)
First: I will check for any coolant leaks (hose and water pump)
Check the color of oil in the dipstick (milk in color: blown head
gasket or cylinder block)
Check the connector of the temperature coolant sensor
Check the radiator hose for leaks , observe the hose if collapses
when the engine is high rpm.
Replace the thermostat
Hoping not the cylinder head gasket or cylinder block

The overflow tank is full and no coolant in the radiator: meaning the engine overheat, the coolant volume expanded due to excessive heat , diverted to the overflow tank.

Last edited by colt149; 12-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you, colt149.

I checked coolant level in the radiator and I poured the majority of a gallon into it as it was completely empty. This morning after a low of 26 F, I checked again and added another quart or so.

Is it normal that during cold winters that the coolant will evaporate or leak out?

Thank you.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:39 PM

It's leaking, need to check hoses or possible cracked radiator, or a clamp. Somewhere in your system, it's dripping out/leaking
Old 12-27-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by noblerare
Thank you, colt149.

I checked coolant level in the radiator and I poured the majority of a gallon into it as it was completely empty. This morning after a low of 26 F, I checked again and added another quart or so.

Is it normal that during cold winters that the coolant will evaporate or leak out?

Thank you.
No, check the color of engine oil. Definitely your engine overheat if you did not see any leaks. I believed you need to replace the thermostat.