5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Change transmission fluid with high mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Change transmission fluid with high mileage?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if changing the transmission fluid (just draining and replacing, not flushing) would be okay on my 2002 Maxima GLE with over 150,000 miles. I don't think it has ever had the fluid changed. My mechanical friend said I shouldn't bother because of the high mileage and that it had never been changed. It is a light brown color and smells like crayons (not sure if that equates to a burnt smell or not, guess not?). I'm a little worried about the transmission because the indicator light stays on slightly longer than all the others when I start the car. I only have one code the lovely P1800 and no pending codes.

Thank you all so much, this forum has helped me escape from the stealerships and the thieving mechanics!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Bad *** Newb

I would drain and fill it three times. Never changing it will surely make it fail faster. You should never change your oil, either LOL. Mechanics say dumb ****.

Flushing is what you want to avoid. The only way changing the fluid could hurt is if the tranny is so far gone that it will fail any minute.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jv.eckert05
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if changing the transmission fluid (just draining and replacing, not flushing) would be okay on my 2002 Maxima GLE with over 150,000 miles. I don't think it has ever had the fluid changed. My mechanical friend said I shouldn't bother because of the high mileage and that it had never been changed. It is a light brown color and smells like crayons (not sure if that equates to a burnt smell or not, guess not?). I'm a little worried about the transmission because the indicator light stays on slightly longer than all the others when I start the car. I only have one code the lovely P1800 and no pending codes.

Thank you all so much, this forum has helped me escape from the stealerships and the thieving mechanics!
You can change it.
In my opinion new fluid is always better than old dirty fluid.
Just make sure the level is right when you add it.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
I would drain and fill it three times. Never changing it will surely make it fail faster. You should never change your oil, either LOL. Mechanics say dumb ****.

Flushing is what you want to avoid. The only way changing the fluid could hurt is if the tranny is so far gone that it will fail any minute.
+1 !!
I dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets, and drained & filled three times when my car reached 125k miles. Because the pan was pretty clean I did not expect a big impact. However the result is amazing; the car now shifts like new - smooth and silky. I am the original owner and I had been changing the fluid every 30k miles. I now plan to drain & fill every 15k miles.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:54 PM

My buddy with a 6th gen had never had his changed up to about 90k miles, and his trans fluid was brown too. New fluid just dropping the pan and refilling helped a lot.

I think what you want to avoid is changing fluid in one that's too far gone, like stated before. I think black and super burnt fluid is what you want to watch out for.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM

You want to gradually freshen up the fluid and not shock the system. Do 3 drain & fills over the course of a month using Matic-D. I'd also toss in a bottle of Lubegard Red for good measure.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Dudes, draining and refilling is a must! I change the trans fluid every year on my Max with 77k and I30 with 160K! You need to drain and fill at least 3 times per change to get a good majority of new fluid due to the amount that stays in the torque converter. The system holds like 10 quarts, and each drain only yields 4-5 quarts. Also use a quality additive like Lucas transfix if you are already slipping or noticing hard shifts. Believe me, it works. I've saved and extended the lives of 2 Maxima and one I30! Tranny fluid changes are regular maintenance in high mileage vehicles, especially if you aren't running an auxiliary trans cooler.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:47 PM

This if you really love ur car IMO....better than Amsoil.

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 05-04-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:24 PM

I've got to do this at some point, probably in June when school is out. Anyways and pointers? Tricks?