5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Came extremely close to buying a 2K2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 10:38 AM

Came extremely close to buying a 2K2.

It was a black SE 6-speed with the Bose upgrade and sunroof. I talked them down to $23,100 and after wiping my drool I was ready to pronouce deal. But then they offered me only $14,000 for my 2K1 SE. And I owe $19,000 so I walked away. But on the way back I demolished a riced out accord and probe. So that picked me back up. A little.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

14 G's for a 2K1 How many miles do you have?
Old 01-26-2002, 10:53 AM
jjs

That sucks!

Imagine the mod's you could do to your SE for 5 grand and probably have some left over. Every time I think about trading just to get the 255 hp, I think about how much I would lose and then start to feel quite content that I love my AE and if I wanted to, I could drop the amout of loss on a supercharger, etc. and not feel left out!
Old 01-26-2002, 11:16 AM

I do have some miles on it 25000+. I drive from DC to the ATL and back basically every other week. And after the dejection my very soon to be wife saw in my eyes we started discussing about ways to for me to maybe get the new Z.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:23 AM

Funny you bring up the new Z. That or the Evo VII are my next cars. Girlie likes the 350Z and is totally down with the idea.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:24 AM
My 4DSC

Nissan Dealers smoke crack...

They offered me $10,500 for my 2000 Max with 21k miles.
That's why i didnt get a 02 6speed.
I'm sure they'd throw my 2000 Max on the lot for $19k easy.
Sell your car privately...I'm sure you could get at least $18k or so if it's loaded.
As for me...I'm stuck with the 00' for a while...
It's OK, I'm turbo'ing it...and maybe when i'm sick of it I can pick up a 02 6speed for $10,500...

Old 01-26-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Nissan Dealers smoke crack...

Originally posted by My 4DSC

It's OK, I'm turbo'ing it...and maybe when i'm sick of it I can pick up a 02 6speed for $10,500...
Whats the progress on the turbo? Can't wait to see this happen.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:42 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

you know....

they are digging their own grave. A loyal owner base is the single most important thing a car company can have. Offer them 1/2 for the car after 1 year and they will never come back. I could care less about the New "insert new nissan model here". I'll drive my Nissans as long as I can, dump them and never look back (or to Nissan again). You cant build repeat buyers with that madness.

right now I *really* envy the new 2k2 owners. However, imagine their shock in 18 months when the new platform arrives (or Z) and they want to trade in. The newer your max, the longer you still need to keep it. Thankfully, I'm not upside down regardless of the resale tumble. Not by that much, but at least I could walk away from it.. Financially burned but all the wiser.

Hate to say it, but I wish I had gotten the Honda right now. I still would have gotten everywhere I wanted to go and would able to get a new car right now on a whim..
Old 01-26-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by MAXlove
I do have some miles on it 25000+. I drive from DC to the ATL and back basically every other week. And after the dejection my very soon to be wife saw in my eyes we started discussing about ways to for me to maybe get the new Z.
She's a keeper!
Old 01-26-2002, 04:36 PM
jjs

Re: you know....

Here, here!! Not sure if I would have gone Honda (don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my '93 VTEC Prelude...especially its tradein value), but I agree...this constant 'have to have the most current' mentaility has cost millions of people dearly in the automotive and computer world...I mean, when you get something that is outdated in 6 months or less...that's nuts.

For all curent Max owners, enjoy what you have...if you want more, upgrade or mod. Bottom line is, CHECK THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

Originally posted by TimW
they are digging their own grave. A loyal owner base is the single most important thing a car company can have. Offer them 1/2 for the car after 1 year and they will never come back. I could care less about the New "insert new nissan model here". I'll drive my Nissans as long as I can, dump them and never look back (or to Nissan again). You cant build repeat buyers with that madness.

right now I *really* envy the new 2k2 owners. However, imagine their shock in 18 months when the new platform arrives (or Z) and they want to trade in. The newer your max, the longer you still need to keep it. Thankfully, I'm not upside down regardless of the resale tumble. Not by that much, but at least I could walk away from it.. Financially burned but all the wiser.

Hate to say it, but I wish I had gotten the Honda right now. I still would have gotten everywhere I wanted to go and would able to get a new car right now on a whim..
Old 01-26-2002, 07:37 PM

Re: Re: you know....

Originally posted by jjs
Here, here!! Not sure if I would have gone Honda (don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my '93 VTEC Prelude...especially its tradein value), but I agree...this constant 'have to have the most current' mentaility has cost millions of people dearly in the automotive and computer world...I mean, when you get something that is outdated in 6 months or less...that's nuts.

For all curent Max owners, enjoy what you have...if you want more, upgrade or mod. Bottom line is, CHECK THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

Finally some sense on this board.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:03 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: you know....

Thanks!

Also, I pm'd you about you aero kit.

Originally posted by jkratzer

Finally some sense on this board.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:15 PM

I plan on driving the 2K2 Max (that's on the boat) until it dies. I don't have any plans on worrying about the the terrible resale. I probably won't get another Nissan after it, but who knows what the future holds.

Stereodude
Old 01-26-2002, 10:09 PM

Re: Came extremely close to buying a 2K2.

It was a black SE 6-speed with the Bose upgrade and sunroof. I talked them down to $23,100 and after wiping my drool I was ready to pronouce deal. But then they offered me only $14,000 for my 2K1 SE. And I owe $19,000 so I walked away. But on the way back I demolished a riced out accord and probe. So that picked me back up. A little.

$14k for a 2001 AE with only $25k, WTF are they smoking? Bought my 2K SE fully loaded last July for $22.5 and I had the impression from everyone on this board that it was worth somewhere around $16-17K. If I am offered anywhere around $13-14k next Fall when the 350Z comes out, I will spit in their faces, wait one more year and buy an M3 or a 330CI. Our cars are a great buy for the $$$, they are not that special to admit losing 1/2 the cost in one or two years. Again, if that value holds true, this will be my first and last Nissan.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:27 AM

...right now I *really* envy the new 2k2 owners. However, imagine their shock in 18 months when the new platform arrives (or Z) and they want to trade in...
I don't think many people on this board would want to trade in for the "new" Maxima. It seems everbody expects it to be the same size as the current model, but with a lot more power. Well, the Altima is already the same size as the current model, and the "new" Maxima will be LARGER, HEAVIER and "BOATIER". I think the "new" Maxima will be very nice for what it is, but I will be quite happy with the current 2002 Maxima with all the luxury items that I picked up loaded for less than $28K, and a very usable back seat as well.

THE NEW MAXIMA WILL NOT BE SPORT ORIENTED - that is the job of the Altima 3.5 or the 350Z. The Maxima will be luxury oriented.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:13 AM

Re: Re: you know....

Originally posted by 2k2se6spd
THE NEW MAXIMA WILL NOT BE SPORT ORIENTED - that is the job of the Altima 3.5 or the 350Z. The Maxima will be luxury oriented.
exactly.. and it will make resale even worse. I like the product. I like the cars. But if you dont protect your customers, you will lose them.

Resale happens.. Models get updated. Its a fact of life. But this is because the Altima is now more desirable than the max (or Nissan is selling it that way). That is what is killing us. Dealers were offering ALOT more before the altys showed up. Nissan did that to us. That was a decision they made, not simple resale reality. Now they are totally phasing out the Max as we know it. That cant be good, its not like a 2k2 max will be a collectors item because it was the last 'sporty maxima'. Again, not economics but a marketing choice they made that leaves us hanging.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:46 AM

You all are right, but I'm weak and I went and bought a 2K2 last night anyway. I went to the same dealer I bought my girl a Sentra SE-R and they gave me $17,000 for my 2K1 and I bought 6-speed SE for $21,995. And yes I promised I will drive this one until the wheels come off. I just had to have the 6-speed. And I love Maximas to the end.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:54 AM
RussMaxManiac

I have 15k miles on mine, they offered 20k for my 2k1 loaded.

I can tell you now that the dealer didn't want to deal with you when they lowball your car like that. They lowered the price of the max 2k2 but they lowered the trade in so they can make the money back they gave you for the new one. It's a numbers thing and alot of people don't see that sometimes.

Old 01-27-2002, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

I have 15k on mine, offered 20k for my 2k1 loaded.

I can tell you now that the dealer didn't want to deal with you when they lowball your car like that. They lowered the price of the max 2k2 but they lowered the trade in so they can make the money back they gave you for the new one. It's a numbers thing and alot of people don't see that sometimes.
That's the main reason I decided to go to the one where my friend worked in VA because they treated me fairly well last time. And I am satisfied with the $17000 they gave me considering on my last trip to New Orleans some idiot gave me a gash in the paint on my rear passenger door gaurd. Plus they gave me two years of free oil changes.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:53 AM

hmmmm

lets see Russ.. you get offered $20k yet you can purchase a new 2k2 for $21K. wow.. what are you waiting for! trade now! :/
Old 01-27-2002, 12:21 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: hmmmm

lets see Russ.. you get offered $20k yet you can purchase a new 2k2 for $21K. wow.. what are you waiting for! trade now! :/
Huh?

They wanted 26k new for a 2k2.

Old 01-27-2002, 01:15 PM

fyi, ALL dealers do this.