5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Problems - Gas Smell in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 07:47 AM

Engine Problems - Gas Smell in Oil

Hello all, I don't ever post much, but read through these forums tons. Here's my deal..

When I'm accelerating, something happens, and once the tach is at 2.5-2.7k rpms, it just stops there, and hovers back and forth between those two numbers...not matter how much gas I supply. I can drop below those if I brake and such, but only have normal acceleration up to those rp, number. The first two times this happened I had an EGR valve replaced. These first two times were about 7 months apart. The last one was in december. So now, I just had the exact same thing happen, however this time my check engine light didn't come on. Weird. One other thing that is maybe important, while on xmas break, I changed my oil at home, and noticed a gas smell from the oil. I checked out the 91 max my parents have, and also my dad's brother's car. Both of those had it a little, or maybe it was my mind making it up, but the smell was definitely pronounced in my 2k se max. I'm pretty close to losing my warranty, so I want to get this thing fixed. Could there be a link between this engine/transmission problam and the gas in the oil? Anyways, I could sooo use some help on this!! Thanks
Old 01-27-2002, 10:35 AM

Re: Engine Problems - Gas Smell in Oil

Originally posted by GetSome681
Hello all, I don't ever post much, but read through these forums tons. Here's my deal..

When I'm accelerating, something happens, and once the tach is at 2.5-2.7k rpms, it just stops there, and hovers back and forth between those two numbers...not matter how much gas I supply. I can drop below those if I brake and such, but only have normal acceleration up to those rp, number. The first two times this happened I had an EGR valve replaced. These first two times were about 7 months apart. The last one was in december. So now, I just had the exact same thing happen, however this time my check engine light didn't come on. Weird. One other thing that is maybe important, while on xmas break, I changed my oil at home, and noticed a gas smell from the oil. I checked out the 91 max my parents have, and also my dad's brother's car. Both of those had it a little, or maybe it was my mind making it up, but the smell was definitely pronounced in my 2k se max. I'm pretty close to losing my warranty, so I want to get this thing fixed. Could there be a link between this engine/transmission problam and the gas in the oil? Anyways, I could sooo use some help on this!! Thanks
I don't know about the tach problem,but it sounds like your rings are shot.Did you ever run your engine low on oil?
Old 01-27-2002, 11:45 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

unfortunately...

that doesnt sound like any post I've seen in the last 3 years or so I've been here. Max's go into 'safe mode' all the time for various reasons. Usually it's wheel slip or tranny slip.

As far as the oil goes, it sounds like something is up. Having to replace that valve repeatedly is not common.

You should send your oil to blackstone labs ($18) and they will most likely tell you what is wrong, or at the very least confirm your suspicions.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

here's what my last report looked like
http://www.adpub.com/tim/oil-max1.jpg

a second sheet with the report explains all the numbers and what each could indicate.
Old 01-27-2002, 05:57 PM

maddmaxx,

Sorry I don't know too much, but when you say my "rings are shot," what exactly are you referring to?

TimW,

I hope my unique problem doesn't turn out to be something too terrible. I will look into the oil testing. I might be interested in that actually, just because sometimes those Nissan servicemen really don't care all that much, and maybe pointing them in the right direction can help me get my car fixed. Sad, but true unfortunately.

Thanks you two, and if anyone else can help, WOW, I'd be greatful.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GetSome681
maddmaxx,

Sorry I don't know too much, but when you say my "rings are shot," what exactly are you referring to?

TimW,

I hope my unique problem doesn't turn out to be something too terrible. I will look into the oil testing. I might be interested in that actually, just because sometimes those Nissan servicemen really don't care all that much, and maybe pointing them in the right direction can help me get my car fixed. Sad, but true unfortunately.

Thanks you two, and if anyone else can help, WOW, I'd be greatful.
Your "rings being shot" means your piston rings. If your piston rings are shot then u got a compression problem, big $$ to fix, cuz its a pain in the @$$ to get to. Try a compression test when u can, if not check the blowby, start the engine and open the oil cap, in the worst case itll look like another exhaust port.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

in your case..

you must call Nissan of NA. if the techs dont care, then get Nissan involved. they will help alittle. sometimes thats enough to get the right fix done. Also, that would document the problem before warranty runs out.