5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 Maxima SE ABS Controller Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Maxima SE ABS Controller Problem

Hi, I searched the posts and could not find the solution to my problem. I hope someone can help me. Let me start with what I have:

2001 Maxima SE Automatic W/O Traction
The ABS pump part # is 47660 4Y106
Controller part # WA98000

My ABS light came on when the right rear wheel sensor malfunctioned. I used the troubleshooting procedure in the service manual (page BR-48) to read the code which was 31 and confirmed it was bad using the troubleshooting procedure on BR-62 (open circuit at the sensor). I ordered a new wheel sensor and installed it but the ABS light remained on and the code flashed out on the ABS light still said it was the right rear sensor. Also, I could not clear the codes using the procedure in the service manual. I know it is not the new sensor as I disconnect the left wheel sensor, the ABS light flashed out both rear sensors (codes 31 and 35) as bad, I reconnected the left wheel sensor, drove the car and then rechecked the codes which still faulted both rear sensors.

I cannot reset the codes using the procedure in the service manual on page BR-49. I went to a local mechanic who used his diagnostic tool and could not reset them either. He recommended getting an ABS unit from a salvage yard. I did and installed it but it was in worse condition than my original unit as the speedometer would not work and the ABS light would not flash out any codes (just stayed on). I put back my old unit since the speedometer worked with it. I brought it into Nissan to diagnose the problem and they said it was the ABS unit. I tried 2 other used ABS units and both did not work either.

I looked over the schematics in the service manual (BR-43 to 46). The ABS unit does not seem to be connected to the ECM and the remove and replace procedure does not mention having to reset any other device in the car. I find it unusual that three salvage parts I bought were bad (unless the 2001 Maximas are all being junked for ABS problems). All three units were for an Automatic without TCS.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and how did you fix it?
Has anyone tried an ABS controller rebuilder?
If so, who was it, how much and what were the results?
Any other suggestions on fixing the ABS?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 AM

The ABS system doesn't cause that many problems, so there isn't a lot of information here to research.

The only thing I can think to suggest would be to check the wire continuity between the ABS unit and the wheel. I can understand not being able to reset a code if the problem has not been fixed, but the left rear wheel code not resetting doesn't make any sense to me.

There are 5 fuses that supply power to the ABS unit. Two of them, fuses # 2 and 30, also power other things in the car. # 2 powers the brake lights among other things and # 30 powers the tail lights and backup lights among other things.

The other 3 are strictly for the ABS. Fuses D and E are under the hood by the battery, the cover labeled ABS MTR and ABS SOL. The 3rd is in the dash panel fuses, # 31, the lower right corner with the label ABS.

The part number you gave for the ABS is not in the parts list that I can look at. I guess that it is a sub-assembly that is not available separately.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention that after I replaced the right rear wheel sensor and was still getting the code I went back and checked the continuity to all 4 wheels and they were all within the service manual specified resistance range and pretty close to each other. I did not know about the other 3 fuses you mentioned. I will take a look at them later.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I checked the other 3 fuses (visually and with continuity meter) and all were good.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Not sure how much help is this but I had a similar problem. ABS/TCS Lights on.

My wheel bearing was bad so I took it to the shop, After I got my car back my damage ABS light was on. Yea I know what timing, so I ask them what's going on. They scanned the system and said the Front Driver side ABS just went bad after they fix my wheel bearing. Had the order the part and install it and it didn't fix the ABS problem so in the end I read through the forums and just went ahead and buy the Front Passenger ABS and plug in the connection and the ABS just went off all suddenly. So took it back to the shop and had them install the correct ABS sensor. Never saw the ABS light come again.

Mine was a simple check of connecting a brand new ABS sensor to the system and it fixed itself once it found the bad one. Didn't have to do any fuse or meter testing. Good luck with your problem.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cellmice
Not sure how much help is this but I had a similar problem. ABS/TCS Lights on.

My wheel bearing was bad so I took it to the shop, After I got my car back my damage ABS light was on. Yea I know what timing, so I ask them what's going on. They scanned the system and said the Front Driver side ABS just went bad after they fix my wheel bearing. Had the order the part and install it and it didn't fix the ABS problem so in the end I read through the forums and just went ahead and buy the Front Passenger ABS and plug in the connection and the ABS just went off all suddenly. So took it back to the shop and had them install the correct ABS sensor. Never saw the ABS light come again.

Mine was a simple check of connecting a brand new ABS sensor to the system and it fixed itself once it found the bad one. Didn't have to do any fuse or meter testing. Good luck with your problem.
I bet the shop forgot to put it where it goes ( where clip goes for wire) and when you turned the wheel it got caught up and ripped off or got damaged.Typical mechanic F up and blame the car and customer pays.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
I bet the shop forgot to put it where it goes ( where clip goes for wire) and when you turned the wheel it got caught up and ripped off or got damaged.Typical mechanic F up and blame the car and customer pays.
Bingo. They broke it trying to take it out to fix the bearing and screwed it up the 2nd time.