5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Putting a turbo in an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Putting a turbo in an automatic

Hey guys I was wondering how to boost an automatic maxima which would be a good kit and what is everything i have to do since it's an automatic
Old 11-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Simple as removing some change from your pockets, get installed,
have fun and wait for something to break.
http://www.turbokits.com/Nissan/Maxima/Turbo_Kits/
Old 11-30-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Simple as removing some change from your pockets, get installed,
have fun and wait for something to break.
http://www.turbokits.com/Nissan/Maxima/Turbo_Kits/
then...wash, rinse, repeat
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 PM

Well, a kit is not the way to go. There's a lot of work involved since there are very few aftermarket supporters specifically for our car. Lots of research and money involved. I've been working on mine for a year now. Honestly, I've wanted to quit, but I'm too far in now. If you don't have a lot of time and money to devote to this, it's not worth it.

Check the Forced Induction section of the forums for info on this stuff.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tyrell Bethea
Hey guys I was wondering how to boost an automatic maxima which would be a good kit and what is everything i have to do since it's an automatic
Buy a car that's worth boosting.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Buy a car that's worth boosting.
Best answer yet!
Old 12-01-2015, 12:52 PM

Take it from someone who's spent the time and money. Use max as a dd. Buy something rwd or awd and boost that.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Bad *** Newb

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:47 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by Mattx
Take it from someone who's spent the time and money. Use max as a dd. Buy something rwd or awd and boost that.
This isn't specifically directed at you, but I've never understood this line of thinking. I get crap all the time from people about why am I "wasting" time/money/etc on a FWD sedan and that I should get a RWD platform instead. They're not mutually exclusive. To suggest somebody build a RWD or AWD platform "instead" of FWD has always struck me as odd. Why does it have to be one or the other?

My next project will be RWD but that will be in addition to my Maximas and my Civic, not instead of.

Personally, an unexpectedly custom and/or fast car is more impressive than a RWD platform that can be "built" by anybody with off the shelf parts, especially these days given that CXRacing makes LSx swap kits for virtually everything.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:43 AM

[QUOTE="James92SE;9083887"] This isn't specifically directed at you, but I've never understood this line of thinking. I get crap all the time from people about why am I "wasting" time/money/etc on a FWD sedan and that I should get a RWD platform instead. They're not mutually exclusive. To suggest somebody build a RWD or AWD platform "instead" of FWD has always struck me as odd. Why does it have to be one or the other? My next project will be RWD but that will be in addition to my Maximas and my Civic, not instead of. Personally, an unexpectedly custom and/or fast car is more impressive than a RWD platform that can be "built" by anybody with off the shelf parts, especially these days given that CXRacing makes LSx swap kits for virtually everything. [/

My reasoning is strictly meaning that a safe reasonable amount of power in a fwd car compared to rwd and awd. When you start talking lsx swap kits and that kind of territory you're talking about serious money and deep pockets. My point was if your going to spend big money to do these things why do it on something where fwd will be a limiting factor. 400 to 450 hp on a fwd car is about where it starts to get scetchy. Can you go further absolutely but there's a reason you don't see big Hp factory fwd cars. There's a reason why a corvette is rwd.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:30 PM

See, I've thought the same thing about people saying you're wasting money and time on a FWD platform - or just a Maxima in general. It's just the drive wheels. Sure there a benefits to the different layouts, but there's an art in the time and effort spent in making it actually work regardless of the platform. I think to work on a car like ours where every aspect isn't already designed for high performance is really unique. We have power in these sedans, and adding to it is a task, and so is making it well rounded with other areas.

I don't think it's a waste of time or money if you're passionate about your car and have the patience and know-how to at least attempt to do things right. There are many things about our cars that are better than out of the factory performance cars that normally come AWD or RWD. Lower insurance rates, decent interior, and great reliability. Our parts are also considerably cheaper because they are more common. As previously mentioned, one of my favorite things is that it's impressive to have a car like ours with such power. Our cars aren't that common, and even stock, they are powerful. It's cool that they aren't so mainstream in the tuning scene either.

Drive axles in our car are a pain when it comes to power, but even if what's considered desirable for a power limit on a FWD car is around 400hp, people should step back and remember that for a 3000lb street car, that's a pretty amazing number. The areas in shich FWD normally fails is traction at high acceleration at lower speeds. Meaning if youre going to go from 0 to infinity, dont WOT from those low speeds, and make sure you have good tires. Not only that, but WOT at 0 is really bad for cars. The power of the car really feels great from a roll anyways, and there you won't lose traction. I've grown to really enjoy the way my Maxima drives and rarely think about the FWD aspect as opposed to another format because it's just what I have included in the car that I like the looks of, reliability, drive feel, and power of already. With power, you just have to know your limits, especially when adding it.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:20 PM

Where did the original poster go?

It's very easy to make fun of front wheel drive
especially stock automatic.. come on guys.
Rice burner front wheel drive automatic burning out at 200hp. lolz

I would get the stillen super kit because it's already pretty much a kit and it's
not a bad price.

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 12-02-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
See, I've thought the same thing about people saying you're wasting money and time on a FWD platform - or just a Maxima in general. It's just the drive wheels. Sure there a benefits to the different layouts, but there's an art in the time and effort spent in making it actually work regardless of the platform. I think to work on a car like ours where every aspect isn't already designed for high performance is really unique. We have power in these sedans, and adding to it is a task, and so is making it well rounded with other areas. I don't think it's a waste of time or money if you're passionate about your car and have the patience and know-how to at least attempt to do things right. There are many things about our cars that are better than out of the factory performance cars that normally come AWD or RWD. Lower insurance rates, decent interior, and great reliability. Our parts are also considerably cheaper because they are more common. As previously mentioned, one of my favorite things is that it's impressive to have a car like ours with such power. Our cars aren't that common, and even stock, they are powerful. It's cool that they aren't so mainstream in the tuning scene either. Drive axles in our car are a pain when it comes to power, but even if what's considered desirable for a power limit on a FWD car is around 400hp, people should step back and remember that for a 3000lb street car, that's a pretty amazing number. The areas in shich FWD normally fails is traction at high acceleration at lower speeds. Meaning if youre going to go from 0 to infinity, dont WOT from those low speeds, and make sure you have good tires. Not only that, but WOT at 0 is really bad for cars. The power of the car really feels great from a roll anyways, and there you won't lose traction. I've grown to really enjoy the way my Maxima drives and rarely think about the FWD aspect as opposed to another format because it's just what I have included in the car that I like the looks of, reliability, drive feel, and power of already. With power, you just have to know your limits, especially when adding it.
The problem isn't with the 250 flywheel hp maxima. It's the 400+ hp maxima. That's the fwd problem. These cars have traction issues before adding any power. When you add another 150hp then it's a big problem. My point and I think most people who've gone thru the process will tell you the same thing is: there are much better, cheaper, safer options for cars to turbo them these. Don't get me wrong I love my maxima. I drive it everyday 60+ miles, it's Turbo'd, it's fast. I'm just trying to tell the op that there are much better cheaper and safer options out there for turbo cars. I plan on stepping up into a 350z shortly. A very similar car but rwd readily available parts but still a nissan just a better option for boost. He/she can do whatever they please I'm just trying to tell him/her there are much better options out there and to consider that before jumping into the endless rabbit hole of boosting a maxima.

Obviously you can boost a pinto if you want. Will it be fun to drive probably. Will it cost you a sh"t ton of money absolutely. Is it still a pinto yep. If you go back and add up all the money you spend on boosting a maxima you have something pretty nice in your driveway. I did all my own work and fabrication I couldn't imagine how much more money it would've been to have someone do all that for me. Either way you'd probably have something a lot nicer then a 13 yro maxima. Like I said earlier I'm a big maxima fan I've owned two and loved both of them, there's just better options.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:37 PM

I'll answer the first thing you should do to an automatic maxima. You should buy a transgo hd2 kit for your valve body of the tranny. Then buy a thermostatically controlled trans cooler with an external filter. There's next to no tranny filter on these cars just a screen. Next buy another used auto tranny cause you'll need it for back up. I just swapped my tranny in front of my house over the long weekend and it sucks. If you really want to go all out buy all the necessary parts for a six speed swap while you're waiting for this tranny to die.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Personally, an unexpectedly custom and/or fast car is more impressive than a RWD platform that can be "built" by anybody with off the shelf parts, especially these days given that CXRacing makes LSx swap kits for virtually everything.

definition of maxima game in and out, end of thread

its an uphill battle that isn't for an average person who likes cookie cutter modifications
Old 12-04-2015, 12:24 AM

I have thought about boosting mine many times. I think that a lot of guys don't have the experience with building so it gets very expensive because they buy kits, or do things the hard way.

It really isn't very hard to do it, if you know how, and stay moderate. Return fuel system:boost referenced, water injection, and you can go a pretty long ways with a safc/vafc setup. But, these days with the internet and so much misinformation by experts, guys get led the wrong way.

To the OP.....HD2....and trans cooler, with fairly regular filter changes.

My 02 has right at 200k on it now,HD....no 2, intake, full exhaust, VAFC, and a 100 shot with water injection, and trans shifts and holds like a champ. I have sprayed the crap out of it too.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:25 AM

Don't listen to those people who say to not bother since it's FWD.

I had a a boosted 5.5 gen making ~380whp and I had way more fun racing people with that car than I do with my current car, a ~350whp 335i.

As long as you have modest power goals (under 400 whp), the car will be fun. It will have traction issues, especially from a dig, but being automatic will actually help you since it softens the shock on the drivetrain during launches.

And get a shift kit.

To be honest, I had the most fun with my Maxima when it was all motor making around 270whp.

Nothing better than beating cars that don't expect it (99-00 Mustang GTs, G35s, 350z, etc...), and when they ask you what's done, you respond with "intake, header, exhaust, and a tune".
Old 12-06-2015, 11:03 AM

Great post...