5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2K1 developing tranny problems, bad one too

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 07:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 2K1 developing tranny problems, bad one too

I told Nauman a couple weeks ago that when the car is cold and I get into it in the morning and turn it on and when I put the car in Drive or Reverse, and HOLD the brake down, I hear this knocking noise coming from the engine, but if I change it to Neutral, the knocking stops, that is why I know it is the tranny making the knocking noise. It only makes this when the car is cold by the way, once it is warmed up, the tranny knock stops.

Now check this, last night going to CHEVY'S Mexican Restaurant, I was parking my car and when I put it in Reverse, I hear this enormously loud CLANK! and the car jerks back. So I thought, maybe this happened just this once. So once I parked it, I started playing with it in the sense moved it from Park to Reverse, and back to park and then back to reverse, (Yes I waited like 5secs before shifting) and it CLANKED everytime.

Now I gotta feeling this tranny is getting ready to die. Or something is majorly wrong. I still get the knocking noise in the tranny this morning, but also noticing it gets more and more into when the car is warm now too. I was 15miles into my drive and I stopped at a light, and turned the radio off, and there it was again, the damn knocking noise. This tranny is definetely looking to die.

What yall think?

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 07:26 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Are you sure your exhaust isn't hitting something?
Old 01-28-2002, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Are you sure your exhaust isn't hitting something?
You know that is a good point, but the only modification I have done is the testpipe, and the custom muffler that was welded on right at the end of the muffler pipe.

Even then, the sound still seems to be coming from the engine comparment. But still a good point. I will have to look into this none the less.

But what baffles me is I just drove my car very hard on the tranny, and it responded beautifully, shifted well and everything.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 08:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Your recent exhaust modifications lead me to think that the exhaust might be banging. If you can, have a person do the shifting while you try to pinpoint the knocking.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:06 AM

Your recent exhaust modifications lead me to think that the exhaust might be banging. If you can, have a person do the shifting while you try to pinpoint the knocking.
Good idea, I will do that today when I attempt to install the Stainless Cattman Ypipe I just got. When I mean attempt, i mean attempt since I dont have jack stands that are short enough, I got these monster jack stands. Plus I aint got a real jack anymore either, someone stole that.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 09:31 AM
Got Bent?

let me know when you want to hook up the y-pipe... if you are doing it on a weekend, I am there

but, if the tranny shifts fine and runs fine in all gears, then it could be something else....
Old 01-28-2002, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
let me know when you want to hook up the y-pipe... if you are doing it on a weekend, I am there

but, if the tranny shifts fine and runs fine in all gears, then it could be something else....
If I wait till the weekend, I will let you know, but you know me, I am impatient, that new Ypipe for me is a like a brand new toy, aint no way momeeee gonna make me wait a couple more days to play with it.

Like I said, I will attempt it, if I fail, then I will call you for the weekend.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

If I wait till the weekend, I will let you know, but you know me, I am impatient, that new Ypipe for me is a like a brand new toy, aint no way momeeee gonna make me wait a couple more days to play with it.

Like I said, I will attempt it, if I fail, then I will call you for the weekend.

Dixit
sounds good....
Old 01-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good idea, I will do that today when I attempt to install the Stainless Cattman Ypipe I just got. When I mean attempt, i mean attempt since I dont have jack stands that are short enough, I got these monster jack stands. Plus I aint got a real jack anymore either, someone stole that.

Dixit
There's always the Nissan jack (not safe, but it'll do).
Old 01-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Got Bent?

I'm not getting under any car that is held up with that thing especially to get to the y-pipe....
Old 01-28-2002, 09:47 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I'm not getting under any car that is held up with that thing especially to get to the y-pipe....
Say to Dixit. Hehehe
Old 01-28-2002, 09:49 AM
Got Bent?

Say to Dixit. Hehehe
hehehehe... I can give him my jack stands to use
Old 01-28-2002, 09:49 AM

Son I OWN the Nissan spare tire jack. Just ask Nauman when we was doing the UDP, I was all over that car with the front passenger tire off and installing the UDP.

Just dont know if the nissan jack is going to be high enough for me on the Ypipe install.

I can do what i did on the test pipe install, drive one side up on the curb, and then use the nissan jack, that was in a sense i get it a good 8inchs off the ground.

Yeah, i work ghetto, nothing is done right on my car unless there is a touch of ghetto-ness involved in it. Just dont feel right without it.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 09:54 AM

Say to Dixit. Hehehe
Im lost...... as always...... post whoring has begun

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 09:54 AM
Got Bent?

ghetto-ness =

if you want to use the jacks, let me know.... I can swing by and drop them off no problem....
Old 01-28-2002, 09:58 AM

ghetto-ness =

if you want to use the jacks, let me know.... I can swing by and drop them off no problem....
What time you get off work? Cause I normally home by 6pm. So if you drop them off around that time, I think would be cool, otherwise I am going to do it GHETTO STYLE.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 10:02 AM
Got Bent?

What time you get off work? Cause I normally home by 6pm. So if you drop them off around that time, I think would be cool, otherwise I am going to do it GHETTO STYLE.

Dixit

I can do that... I can swing by around that time... maybe by 7 or so... I'll give you a call at the end of the day...
Old 01-28-2002, 10:24 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You should be able to work on the car with one side up a curb. I wouldn't trust that jack though... [color=red]*squish*[/red]

PW? Who's PW'ing?!?!? Nauman.......
Old 01-28-2002, 10:26 AM
Got Bent?

hehehe... cut me some slack... it's been a while since I have been on
Old 01-28-2002, 10:34 AM

You should be able to work on the car with one side up a curb. I wouldn't trust that jack though... [color=red]*squish*[/red]

Problem with that is when you get one side on the curb, you cant actually get under the car from that side or the other side, cause the other side is too low now, and the side with the curb, well the curb is in the way.

So the only place left is to crawl in from the front of the car. Kinda difficult. That is why I lifted the other side to make room for me to get under it.

Man my dad would kill me if he found out I was doing it this way. He did this back when I was 10yrs old and When he under the car, the jack slipped and it landed on him, but luckly he did not push the tire completely out the way when he took it off, so it landed on the tire, obviously saved his life, but lets say the tire had a nice big hole in it along with the rim damage. After that day, he stopped being ghetto, I think I have not learned yet. But it is not more that I have not learned, more in the sense i dont have the tools to do it, if i had them, obviously i would use them. That is why i am most likely going to wait on Nauman.

Dixit

Dixit