5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima Project - The little things

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM

2002 Maxima Project - The little things

Im planning fixes to attend to asap or this coming spring, i wanted to list them all here in case someone can suggest anything to make them easy, or if you've done it yourself. Thanks in advance, here's the list:

1. Heat shield near upper CAT vibrates at certain RPMs, need to remove or change
2. Steering wheel mode button not affecting the display in the dash. (i was told the volume buttons were removed b/c of aftermarket stereo, but all the buttons on the left hand side are not working)
3. Airbag light flashing, not sure how to figure out whats wrong. should i just kill the light? how? fuse?
4. Power steering and brake lines have minor leaks, i top it up everyone once in a while.
5. steering wheel leather is shredding, exposing in one spot the wiring for the wheel warmer.
6. intake filter sucks, want to replace it with a cold air intake b/c it looks like there is space for it, any recommendations on a cheap option here?
7. Minor paint scratches scattered across the body, not sure how to handle this yet.

Project sheet, my car so far:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Anyone here should be able to help you out. I have some suggestions that should be able to speed them up for you.
1. Just take the heat shield off, no harm no foul. You'll have to disconnect the O2 sensor and try not to shred the wire by accident.
2. Because you've installed an aftermarket stereo unless you get a PAC harness the volume buttons wont work. BUT there is a trick to get the trip button working again which is to disassemble the cigarette lighter portion if the console. Inside there you should see a single male connector with ABOUT 5 or 6 wires... I can't remember. There is a BROWN wire in there. Clip it and ground it somewhere.
3. The airbag light blinks because 8 times out of ten the impact sensor on the front of the car has **** the bed. It is behind the grill area. You'll have to either replace it OR just live with the light.
4. Search the forum on how to fix the Power steering hose. very simple.
Brake lines you'll have to figure out which ones are leaking and replace those as well. I suggest going to a shop to do that IF you've never done it before. I can't remember if you can get pre-made lines or not for the MAX, I just usually make my own.
5. Get a new steering wheel, OR used on in good shape.
6. Don't get an injen. There are TONS of choices. JWT makes a good product.
7. Wet sand fun times. depending on how deep they are a 3 step polish with a GOOD cutting agent to start.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the response Brudface! Updates coming soon!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:28 AM

First and foremost, repair the brake leak. Critical safety issue.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mclasser
First and foremost, repair the brake leak. Critical safety issue.
its leaking very very slowly, like 20ml over a few months.

also how do i identify it best?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by TheMafia
its leaking very very slowly, like 20ml over a few months.

also how do i identify it best?
They can be tricky to find but start at the calipers. Check the soft hoses going into them, pistons and the banjo fittings for dampness. Have a helper pump up the brakes at the same time. Get under the car and look at the long track of hard lines. Check the MC connections, ABS motor and booster area. If don't find anything, could me the MC is leaking inside itself. Do you have a spongy pedal that goes to the floor?
Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 AM

Ive got a list of things to do to my car also man lol. I like to start with the most important things first like anything that can cause driveability issues/ or safety issues, then work my way down the list.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mclasser
They can be tricky to find but start at the calipers. Check the soft hoses going into them, pistons and the banjo fittings for dampness. Have a helper pump up the brakes at the same time. Get under the car and look at the long track of hard lines. Check the MC connections, ABS motor and booster area. If don't find anything, could me the MC is leaking inside itself. Do you have a spongy pedal that goes to the floor?
its maybe a bit soft, maybe, but it has a hard end long before the bottom.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Ive got a list of things to do to my car also man lol. I like to start with the most important things first like anything that can cause driveability issues/ or safety issues, then work my way down the list.
ya ill update the main post so you can see how far i got.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2. Steering wheel mode button not affecting the display in the dash. (i was told the volume buttons were removed b/c of aftermarket stereo, but all the buttons on the left hand side are not working)
3. Airbag light flashing, not sure how to figure out whats wrong. should i just kill the light? how? fuse?
7. Minor paint scratches scattered across the body, not sure how to handle this yet.

2. The steering wheel buttons on the left side are all plugged into the OE radio in a single connector, i have the same problem. Trip/Info doesnt work, Up and Down buttons dont work, etc. Its because all of those need a "signal" from the radio to operate. A lot of aftermarket radios, especially older ones, dont have the hookup/wiring for these buttons. I believe they make adapters for this though, not sure.
3. I had to take my max to nissan about 2 years ago, and while i was there they had told me there was a recall for the passenger (im pretty sure) airbag, you might want to call up your local dealer and inquire. I mean hey, its free, couldnt hurt.
7. Not much advice for the scratches, other than watch out for the quarter panel rust i the back. Get that patched up as soon as you see the paint bubbling, assuming its not already deteriorated beyond reasonable repair.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Paulschutz

2. The steering wheel buttons on the left side are all plugged into the OE radio in a single connector, i have the same problem. Trip/Info doesnt work, Up and Down buttons dont work, etc. Its because all of those need a "signal" from the radio to operate. A lot of aftermarket radios, especially older ones, dont have the hookup/wiring for these buttons. I believe they make adapters for this though, not sure.
3. I had to take my max to nissan about 2 years ago, and while i was there they had told me there was a recall for the passenger (im pretty sure) airbag, you might want to call up your local dealer and inquire. I mean hey, its free, couldnt hurt.
7. Not much advice for the scratches, other than watch out for the quarter panel rust i the back. Get that patched up as soon as you see the paint bubbling, assuming its not already deteriorated beyond reasonable repair.
Thank you, will take all this into consideration!