5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help to remove manual transmission from a nissan maxima 2001!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help to remove manual transmission from a nissan maxima 2001!

Does someone have some intructions of how to remove a manual transmission from a nissan maxima 2001 , do i really need to get the engine down to remove the transmission?
Old 01-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dayan27
Does someone have some intructions of how to remove a manual transmission from a nissan maxima 2001 , do i really need to get the engine down to remove the transmission?
No I wouldn't think so. I did my auto which I'd say is probably a little bigger then a manual on jack stands. Get the car up as high as you can. Take wheels off axels out crossmember down. Once you get that far, it's probably a little different with manual but same concept. Once you get the trans separated I brought it out the drivers side.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:13 PM

It's not much different from other front drive cars.

You don't need to drop the engine but you'll need to support the engine and remove the cradle that runs under it front to rear. It helps to be able to tilt the motor when lining up the transmission to reinstall it. It's a tight fit so you don't have a lot of room to align it without hanging it on the input shaft.

Are you doing this on a lift or on the floor?

Are you using air tools or just hand tools?

Have you pulled a front drive tranny before?

You might want to get a copy of the Haynes manual for the car too.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mattx
No I wouldn't think so. I did my auto which I'd say is probably a little bigger then a manual on jack stands. Get the car up as high as you can. Take wheels off axels out crossmember down. Once you get that far, it's probably a little different with manual but same concept. Once you get the trans separated I brought it out the drivers side.
Yea i already remove the tranny bolts but theres one one or two bolts that goes from the tranny to the engine block thats between the firewall and the engine and i cant get it out without getting the engine down
Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 PM

Yea i already remove the tranny bolts but theres one one or two bolts that goes from the tranny to the engine block thats between the firewall and the engine and i cant get it out without getting the engine down
You should be able to. You'll have to be creative with the sockets and extensions but it can be done.

I've done manuals and autos without dropping the engine.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Bad *** Newb

So drop the engine down. With all the mounts removed except for pass side, lower it until the motor hits the unibody.