5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Could someone help with a serious lighting issues on a 02 Maxima please

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could someone help with a serious lighting issues on a 02 Maxima please

So I have an 02 Maxima that unfortunately came with the "blue light" headlights already installed. Ive never been a big fan of them, and the "reputable" shop the previous owner had install them didn't know what they were doing. I've searched for over a month now for the solution to this big mess I unknowingly bought, and after 3 Nissan techs, 1 master tech, 2 tickets, and many a sleepless nights trying to figure out WTF is wrong I am begging for help. Little long so bare with me....

This all started after I had a blow out on the driver side. The HID went out on that side. I bought a new bulb had it put in, but they couldn't get it to come back on. Checked all the wires, ballast, fuses, even the relays....all doing what they are suppose to. Few days later the passenger side headlight went out. Couldn't get it to come back on. When I got back in my car the next day the passenger side light came right back on, but with an added feature of every bump, slightly more than usual vibration it will go right back out again. Hence the tickets, and me going a little crazy!

Right now I have a high beam on my driver side that will work and the iffy passenger. Now I know most would say just switch back to factory. Oh boy how much I wish I could..... The "reputable" installer cut every plug that went to it even the blinkers! (Already had that problem solved though). I had to take the high beam off my passenger side and install it on the driver all to have a light on that side (can't afford another ticket) because that was something else they didn't think it needed. Oh but it's getting better I guess, last week as I'm driving down the interstate ALL of my lights went out. Had to cut my car on and off a few times before I could get either one to come back on.

I have absolutely no idea what to do to fix this and neither do some professionals. I've looked and I don't see any wires that are messed up. Still when they check it with a meter it is getting power. 2 new headlight relays, and all new fuses, and I have no clue where to turn next!

I am open for any suggestion. Please someone tell me what I need to do to fix this! Thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Fist of all, please do not start more than one thread when you have a problem. This actually gets you less accurate information. Abandon the thread in the "I am new here" section.

Somebody has missed something. If everything is ok, then you shouldn't be having this problem.

The only thing not mentioned is the headlight switch on the steering column. I've never heard of it doing something like this, but anything is possible. The wires going to the switch could be a problem, maybe the connector is loose.

This is going to require hands on diagnosis by someone familiar with the car using a voltmeter and an ohmmeter to troubleshoot. I hope the car does not have an aftermarket alarm on it.

If you have a Canadian Maxima, the daylight running module could be the problem.

Here is a link to the service manual, electrical section. See page 41 for the headlights. (Canadian headlights are page 55)

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2002/EL.pdf
Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's not a Canadian model. No aftermarket alarm either, but the wiring is so messed up on the car anything is possible. I didn't even think of the switch since it originally started with only the one not working. Didn't think that could happen. We will give that a try. Thanks so much.