5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bad ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Bad ECM?

Hi,

My Maxima threw a cylinder missfire code a few weeks ago and has had the check engine light on ever since, and I determined that it was the ignition coils. So now here is the tricky part, I was about to order the coil, and when I started my car, the check engine light was off and it was behaving normally, so would this be a ECM issue? I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks,

Maximusdriver
Old 02-01-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maximusdriver
Hi,
My Maxima threw a cylinder missfire code a few weeks ago and has had the check engine light on ever since, and I determined that it was the ignition coils. So now here is the tricky part, I was about to order the coil, and when I started my car, the check engine light was off and it was behaving normally, so would this be a ECM issue? I hope this makes some sense.
No, it does not follow that your ECU is bad. More likely, you have an intermittent coil/other problem. How did you determine that it's your ignition coils, and what code were you getting before the CEL light went off?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Use a multimeter to test that coil.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
No, it does not follow that your ECU is bad. More likely, you have an intermittent coil/other problem. How did you determine that it's your ignition coils, and what code were you getting before the CEL light went off?
The engine only misfired after not running my car for a day or two, and I had already replaced the spark plugs, so coils was my last option. I was getting the p0303 for a cylinder 3 misfire. Does that help?

Maximusdriver
Old 02-02-2016, 11:30 AM

As previously stated, you may have an intermittent coil. Since you got the P0303 code, swap the #3 coil with either cylinder 1 or 5. The next time you get the check engine light, see if the code is still the same or if it moved to another cylinder.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
As previously stated, you may have an intermittent coil. Since you got the P0303 code, swap the #3 coil with either cylinder 1 or 5. The next time you get the check engine light, see if the code is still the same or if it moved to another cylinder.
Thanks

Maximusdriver
Old 07-09-2016, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=Maximusdriver;9093133]Hi,

if your problem is an intermittent misfire I would start with testing your coils just because their so commonly bad on these cars (bad coils are usually accompanied by p1320 or a cylinder misfire code, if you get a single cylinder misfire swap the coil and plug on that cylinder watch to see if the misfire follows.

Very unlikely it's your ecm, but not impossible!!!, I had to get my 01 maximas Ecm repaired, my ecm issue was accompanied with p0505, THE WORSE engine light/drivability issue I've ever dealt with...just awful. I know a reference ecm repair place for 5th gen maximas with p0505 due to a fried ecm only $80!!!!! And legit it worked!!

Good luck, you might need to wait till you get a check engine light to pinpoint the issue my guess is an ignition problem if not might be fuel related issue my friend.

I've fixed practically every major problem with my 2001 max prolly 3-4 grand in parts I installed myself, got another max now a 2000 manual I'm seeing a lot of the same bull**** work needing to be done I currently have p1320 and a very intermittent misfire/burning oil smell( car feels like it's got 50hp when it does it) coils were replaced by previous owner and did not fix it, I've order myself an ignition condenser only a $10 part but can affect the transistors in the coils to overheat I'll let ya know if it solves anything not sure if my car relates to yours