5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is my alternator going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is my alternator going?

Hi there,

I drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0. Automatic transmission.
185,000 km on the odo

Car was running fine on the way home from work. Made a stop at a store. Got back in car. Engine was running rough at low idle (from stop signs and the parking lot).

I got home. revved it to 4500 rpm. Check Engine light started flashing. Stopped flashing when back to low idle. Turned car off and back on. Check engine light stayed on AND the TCS and SLIP lights stay on now. Engine still running rough at low idle.

quick note: Since buying the car a year ago.. ive noticed that with the heater on, radio on, etc., the windows sometimes have a hard/slow time going up.

Do you think this is an alternator problem?

Thanks

~Matt
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Ratty77
Hi there,

I drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0. Automatic transmission.
185,000 km on the odo

Car was running fine on the way home from work. Made a stop at a store. Got back in car. Engine was running rough at low idle (from stop signs and the parking lot).

I got home. revved it to 4500 rpm. Check Engine light started flashing. Stopped flashing when back to low idle. Turned car off and back on. Check engine light stayed on AND the TCS and SLIP lights stay on now. Engine still running rough at low idle.

quick note: Since buying the car a year ago.. ive noticed that with the heater on, radio on, etc., the windows sometimes have a hard/slow time going up.

Do you think this is an alternator problem?

Thanks

~Matt
You have a misfire at idle and it says random misfire revved up.
Scan codes and lube the window tracks.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ratty77
Hi there, I drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE 3.0. Automatic transmission. 185,000 km on the odo Car was running fine on the way home from work. Made a stop at a store. Got back in car. Engine was running rough at low idle (from stop signs and the parking lot). I got home. revved it to 4500 rpm. Check Engine light started flashing. Stopped flashing when back to low idle. Turned car off and back on. Check engine light stayed on AND the TCS and SLIP lights stay on now. Engine still running rough at low idle. quick note: Since buying the car a year ago.. ive noticed that with the heater on, radio on, etc., the windows sometimes have a hard/slow time going up. Do you think this is an alternator problem? Thanks ~Matt
I'd be willing to bet your alternator is dying or maybe dead. What you need to do is
1: check battery voltage with car off
2: check battery voltage with car at idle
3: check battery voltage with car idling and lights , heat, radio all on
As you check these write them down on something. Once finished come back and give us your numbers. This can give us a better idea of what your problem is.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you Sirs, will do! Thanks
Old 02-23-2016, 06:33 PM

Also check battery connections(terminals-happened to mine before)go to parts store they will check your charging system for free!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sam Maxima
Also check battery connections(terminals-happened to mine before)go to parts store they will check your charging system for free!
That's an important thing.

Sometimes one or both of the battery connections are sooo damn rusted that the current doesn´t travel properly to the battery from the alternator.