5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Small power steering leak w/ PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:49 AM

Small power steering leak w/ PICS

Noticed a couple of drops on the ground and believe it's a power steering leak. Does anyone know which hose this is? It has foil wrapped around it, can't find the hose from the top, pic is from underneath.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Small power steering leak w/ PICS-ps2.jpg  
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 PM

The hose with the pool of fluid on it is the power steering supply line which comes directly from the reservoir. It's the big line one the back of the reservoir. Check to see if it's wet at the reservoir. If it is put a hose clamp on it. It's probably running down from that connection at the reservoir. Try cleaning so you know if the clamp was effective.

Last edited by Upperhand; 04-09-2016 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-10-2016, 05:55 AM

maybe rear valve cover..check if the pwr steering reservoir bottle is loosing fluid, if not, then its prob rear valve cover.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:38 PM

Just my opinion but if the atf is THAT color where it might be motor oil then...
change it and see if it really is atf leaking.

Mine is leaking from there too.
Not dripping, but you can see that nice cherry red on the bottom of the banjo.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
Just my opinion but if the atf is THAT color where it might be motor oil then...
change it and see if it really is atf leaking.

Mine is leaking from there too.
Not dripping, but you can see that nice cherry red on the bottom of the banjo.
Yeah I guess you would want to see what kind of fluid is being run in the power steering system. The OP may not be running atf. It looks like power steering fluid to me. It's too light in color to be motor oil in my opinion. But, the fact that the whole pump is wet raises questions.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:20 AM

I marked the fluid in the reservoir and watched it for a few days and noticed the level drop. After getting under the vehicle I realized the leak was from the power steering suction hose that runs from the reservoir to the pump (part #97175Y705). Replaced the hose and leak is gone. Best deal for the hose was through eBay.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Infin...9W8UUE&vxp=mtr)

Last edited by enterconnect; 04-14-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by enterconnect
I marked the fluid in the reservoir and watched it for a few days and noticed the level drop. After getting under the vehicle I realized the leak was from the power steering suction hose that runs from the reservoir to the pump (part #97175Y705). Replaced the hose and leak is gone. Best deal for the hose was through eBay.
Nice fix.

Was the fluid red ATF or something else? It looked kind of clear in the picture.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 AM

It was clear, not sure what the PO used prior. Replaced with ATF.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 AM

It was clear, not sure what the PO used prior. Replaced with ATF.
Probably brake fluid. Hopefully it's OK.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:21 AM

seems to be working, super quiet.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Infin...9W8UUE&vxp=mtr)
Nice find!! I have the same the leak just got done replacing the high pressure hose as it was leaking noticed a small leak and it appears to be leaking at the same spot as yours.

How hard was this to install? Any tips or write up?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazie
Nice find!! I have the same the leak just got done replacing the high pressure hose as it was leaking noticed a small leak and it appears to be leaking at the same spot as yours.

How hard was this to install? Any tips or write up?
I just replaced the PS suction hose a week ago. It really wasn't too bad. I did it at the same time I flushed the whole system and replaced with Amsoil (from talkinghorse here on the org - great guy, by the way! Absolutely first class.)

I also installed a Magnefine filter.

Magnefine Power Steering Filter

The filter was a bit of a project. I'll probably do a write up on that later.

I bought the same hose Enterconnect linked to. $47 still seemed steep for just a hose but it seems to be the best deal out there. It definitely seems like a legit OEM part and fits well.

The one obstacle I ran into was getting the lower clip off of the hose at the PS pump. I just couldn't reach it well enough either from the wheel well or underneath the car. So I borrowed a car and went to Harbor Freight and bought these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch...set-38598.html

Harbor Freight Long Reach Pliers

I only needed the straight pliers and they worked perfectly. They made it very easy to remove the clip/clamp. Mine came with black handles, not red. Yes, red is faster, but they didn't have any. You may have better luck.

There is one other suggestion I would make.

Buy one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-61364.html

Harbor Freight Fluid Transfer Pump

I bought one and it really helped.

First, I used this to drain the fluid from the reservoir.

Then, I disconnected the suction hose from the reservoir and used the small black hose included with the pump and inserted it all the way to the bottom of the suction hose and sucked out all of the PS fluid from the hose. This prevented PS fluid from draining all over my face when I removed the suction hose from the PS pump.

Whether or not you are flushing the system you will need to bleed the air out of it once the job is done.

After you have re-filled the reservoir and with the front of the car on stands, turn the key to the "ON" position. Don't start the car. Turn the steering wheel from lock to lock 5 to 10 times. I don't know if there is a magic number here, just do it a lot. This action pushes the fluid through the system and will force air bubbles to surface in the reservoir. Watch the fluid level and add if necessary. Then start the car and do the same thing. You will probably hear a few brief loudish noises from the pump as it passes the last remaining air bubbles. Again, watch your fluid level. After this you should be all set.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by SquidBeak; 05-31-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SquidBeak
I just replaced the PS suction hose a week ago. It really wasn't too bad. I did it at the same time I flushed the whole system and replaced with Amsoil (from talkinghorse here on the org - great guy, by the way! Absolutely first class.)

I also installed a Magnefine filter.

Magnefine Power Steering Filter

The filter was a bit of a project. I'll probably do a write up on that later.

I bought the same hose Enterconnect linked to. $47 still seemed steep for just a hose but it seems to be the best deal out there. It definitely seems like a legit OEM part and fits well.

The one obstacle I ran into was getting the lower clip off of the hose at the PS pump. I just couldn't reach it well enough either from the wheel well or underneath the car. So I borrowed a car and went to Harbor Freight and bought these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch...set-38598.html

Harbor Freight Long Reach Pliers

I only needed the straight pliers and they worked perfectly. They made it very easy to remove the clip/clamp. Mine came with black handles, not red. Yes, red is faster, but they didn't have any. You may have better luck.

There is one other suggestion I would make.

Buy one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-61364.html

Harbor Freight Fluid Transfer Pump

I bought one and it really helped.

First, I used this to drain the fluid from the reservoir.

Then, I disconnected the suction hose from the reservoir and used the small black hose included with the pump and inserted it all the way to the bottom of the suction hose and sucked out all of the PS fluid from the hose. This prevented PS fluid from draining all over my face when I removed the suction hose from the PS pump.

Whether or not you are flushing the system you will need to bleed the air out of it once the job is done.

After you have re-filled the reservoir and with the front of the car on stands, turn the key to the "ON" position. Don't start the car. Turn the steering wheel from lock to lock 5 to 10 times. I don't know if there is a magic number here, just do it a lot. This action pushes the fluid through the system and will force air bubbles to surface in the reservoir. Watch the fluid level and add if necessary. Then start the car and do the same thing. You will probably hear a few brief loudish noises from the pump as it passes the last remaining air bubbles. Again, watch your fluid level. After this you should be all set.

I hope this helps.
Reall good tips!! Will look into the filter as well.

Just changed the high pressure hose with great success but still noticed a small trickle of fluid leaking on to the card board after letting it sit for a day.

Yes the dry bleed is sure essential! Thanks for the tips on the suction hose project decided to first start with a new clamp on the upper and see if that is it before replacing the hose. We shall see what comes of it.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 PM

Glad you found the info helpful.

I tried replacing the original clip with a hose clamp but it didn't appear to help. The entire suction hose was oily so I eventually just gave in and replaced the whole thing.

I still have some mystery leak that appears to be coming from the middle of one of the hard lines which makes no sense at all. I am going to add some dye to the reservoir and see if I can pinpoint it.