5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Window issue

I have a 2000 maxi and the front windows neither roll up or down yet the years work fine. Thankfully they are all the way up
Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAdd
I have a 2000 maxi and the front windows neither roll up or down yet the years work fine. Thankfully they are all the way up
Oops meant rears
Old 06-18-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by MAdd
What happens when you try to operate the RH window using the RH switch? Same problem as when using the main switch?

At any rate: The troubleshooting section on p. EL-225 of the FSM provides guidance for six common power-window problems. Unfortunately, your problem is not one of them. This means getting your meter out and measuring voltages on pins and connectors; alternatively, blind replacement of parts (not advisable).

If I were you, I would:
  • Check the fuses just to be safe.
  • Your immediate problem is that both your front windows can't be operated DOWN. Remove the main switch from the armrest (but do not disconnect). Operate LH switch DOWN, and measure the voltage on terminals #1 (G, green wire) and #2 (L, blue wire). There should be power (12V, or at least 5V) on #1, and ground on #2.
  • If the above test fails, then the most likely source of your problem is the main switch, or some other "upstream" part. If the test passes, then the problem is "downstream" - in the windows regulator or motor.
Download yourself a copy of the FSM from here: http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/; you'll need it. In particular, you'll need the EL and the GI sections right away (the GI section has the key for color-coding of electrical wires).

If the problem turns out to be your main switch, try http://seabreezeautoparts.com/ . When my main switch failed, I got a replacement there for $27 (OEM price is $120 or so). Also, e-Bay is a good source.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:36 PM

To take a quick guess, I would go with the master power window switch in the driver's door is bad. But before you run out and buy a window switch, try this troubleshooting procedure. You will need a voltmeter, preferably a digital one since it is not polarity sensitive.

This does not apply to the 2002 and 2003 models because the wiring pin numbers and wire colors are different. Also, the 2002 is different from the 2003 model.

The power window motor is a DC motor. By reversing the polarity of the power to the motor, raising & lowering of the window is accomplished.

Measuring voltage at the connector for window switch is easiest as you do not have to pull the door panel off. Pop out the window switch (pry up on the front end) and the connector is easily accessed.

The main window switch in the left front door has 2 connectors on it and the wires that go to the motor are in the big connector.

Code:
 ╔═══╦═══╦═══╦═══════╦═══╦═══╦═══╦═══╗
 ║ 7 ║ 6 ║ 5 ║ LOCK  ║ 4 ║ 3 ║ 2 ║ 1 ║
 ╠═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╦═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╬═══╣
 ║ 16║ 15║ 14║ 13║ 12║ 11║ 10║ 9 ║ 8 ║
 ╚═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╝
Those pin numbers and wire colors are:

pin 1 - solid green
pin 2 - solid blue

pin 1 is in a corner of the connector and pin 2 is right next to it.

In operation:

window up - pin 1 (green wire) is 12 volts and pin 2 is ground

window down - pin 2 (blue wire) is 12 volts and pin 1 is ground

The other three door window switches use a different, smaller connector than the left front door switch.

To remove the rear door window switch assembly, pry up on the REAR end of the trim plate.

Code:
 ╔═══╦═══╦═══════╦═══╗
 ║ 6 ║ 7 ║ LOCK  ║   ║
 ╠═══╬═══╬═══╦═══╬═══╣
 ║ 4 ║ 1 ║ 3 ║ 2 ║ 5 ║
 ╚═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╩═══╝
Those pin numbers and wire colors are:

pin 1 - solid blue
pin 2 - solid green

pin 1 is the second pin in from a corner of the connector and pin 2 is the second pin in from the opposite corner of the same row.

In operation:

window up - pin 1 (blue wire) is 12 volts and pin 2 is ground

window down - pin 2 (green wire) is 12 volts and pin 1 is ground
Old 06-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nothing happens.

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
What happens when you try to operate the RH window using the RH switch? Same problem as when using the main switch?
Nothing happens on the rh switch either however when all is quiet I can hear the rh window motor click when I hit up on the rh switch
At any rate: The troubleshooting section on p. EL-225 of the FSM provides guidance for six common power-window problems. Unfortunately, your problem is not one of them. This means getting your meter out and measuring voltages on pins and connectors; alternatively, blind replacement of parts (not advisable).

If I were you, I would:
  • Check the fuses just to be safe.
  • Your immediate problem is that both your front windows can't be operated DOWN. Remove the main switch from the armrest (but do not disconnect). Operate LH switch DOWN, and measure the voltage on terminals #1 (G, green wire) and #2 (L, blue wire). There should be power (12V, or at least 5V) on #1, and ground on #2.
  • If the above test fails, then the most likely source of your problem is the main switch, or some other "upstream" part. If the test passes, then the problem is "downstream" - in the windows regulator or motor.
Download yourself a copy of the FSM from here: http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/; you'll need it. In particular, you'll need the EL and the GI sections right away (the GI section has the key for color-coding of electrical wires).

If the problem turns out to be your main switch, try http://seabreezeautoparts.com/ . When my main switch failed, I got a replacement there for $27 (OEM price is $120 or so). Also, e-Bay is a good source.
nothing happens when I hit rh switch except a click in the motor when I hit up