5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing engine mount on Infiniti i35 or Nissan Maxima

Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 AM

Replacing engine mount on Infiniti i35 or Nissan Maxima

I know there were instructions on the forum before how to do this job, but I'll just share mine as well. More info is always better.

used to think that replacing engine mounts will require many hours of labor and lots of expensive equipment. Turns out it is easier than I thought. The mount we will cover today is the right mount. It is installed next to power steering reservoir. Infiniti i35 or maxima of the same year has four mounts total. Right mount is the most common mount that needs to be replaced on the model.

You can get original brand mount, which usually goes for about $200, or go with aftermarket one, which sells in stores for about $70.

Let's also cover tools you'll need for the mount replacement. You definitely need a car jack. I actually bought a nicer one for $90 at auto parts store. Better quality car jack will ensure your engine will not go down and your car jack may last you years and years.

You will need lots of wrench tools including socket wrenches. More specifically, you will definitely need deep socket 14mm wrench. I also got several extensions. To make sure you have everything, read the whole article before starting on your car. 17mm regular wrench is also a much for the replacement. 10mm wrench may also be needed.

I don't think you will be able to finish the job without some kind of bar. I used 2 feet steel pipe and it helped me a lot.

I also recommend WD-40 or similar spray as you may deal with rotten old nuts and bolts.

Before jacking up the car, spray WD-40 on all bolts and nuts holding the mount. There is one nut (17mm) and 5 bolts (14mm) at first.

Next step is lift up the engine by using your car jack. Put wooden block between your oil pan and the car jack. Make sure the wooden block is wide enough to cover entire oil pan. I used a smaller one, but it might be risky and you may damage your oil pan. Lift the engine about 3 inch.

Now it's time to remove the bolts. First, remove the bolt on top. More than likely you will need to use bar, extensions, etc. to remove any bolts.

Next, remove two bolts that are on the side of the engine. Once you get these removed, take out the mount bracket.

Now you see one more bolt. This one is also 14mm. You can remove engine cover if you want, but the job can be done without touching the engine cover.

Now remove the bolt closer to firewall. That one will need deep socket 14mm wrench and a long extension. I used 10 inch extension with a deep socket wrench.

Now you have to remove nut, which is closer to the radiator. A lot of users had issues with removing this nut. Some use dremel tool and some had to remove pulley for better access. I think before doing anything like that, try to do the following.

Use regular wrench 17mm. If nut is not moving, put other end of the wrench in a longer steel pipe and then try to remove the nut. I think best tool here is a regular wrench because it will give you enough space. If you use deep socket wrench, there will be little to no movement.

Once that is remove. You have only one more bolt and to remove. For some reason this last step took me over an hour to complete. The bolt I am talking about is the bolt that goes right through the mount. The reason is simple. Other side has a nut, which is very hard to reach.

Remember I said in beginning to have lots of wrench tools? That's where you'll need it the most. I tried lots of wrench tools and sockets. The deep socket I had did not work there as there was not enough room. The small socket was too small. I end up removing power steering reservoir for better access and still had issues with good wrench fit.

I finally found another wrench set and that one worked perfectly. I used flat 1/2 bar with 14mm socket on the nut side and used 3/8 wrench tool with 14mm deep socket on the other side. I was able to remove the bolt with that set in just one minute.

After that, you can easily remove the old and broken mount. Then put your new mount in the same place. First step is put that long bolt and screw through the mount. (if your old mount came with mount shield, don't forget to put it on your new mount).

I noticed huge difference after replacing the mount. Acceleration is so much quieter now I can hardly hear it. Even passengers in my car noticed it.

This guide is just for information purposes, use it at your own risk.

Full article and more pictures are available on my site.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Great write up thank you for posting...
Old 06-29-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
Great write up thank you for posting...
Was thinking the same thing. thanks