5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lateral Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Lateral Arm Bushings

I've searched the forum for a good hour trying to find a solution to my lateral arm bushings. I found a thread that said you have to buy it from the dealer and that there are no aftermarket ones. However, at the end, someone posted to look in the group deals forum because someone made a no-flex bushing for it. Also, the same guy said he thought he'd found ER bushings that fit it.

Does anyone have any information on this? I'd like to replace the bushing so it doesn't flex at all if possible. I carry a lot of weight in the trunk and I don't want any flex back there. Plus, my bushing isn't looking too great.

There are another couple of bushings on the lateral arm and lateral link, as well. Can't find any replacements for those besides stock rubber bushings either. Hopefully, there's a good solution to this.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM

wrong search query, use the proper term

trailing arm bushings , tons of threads.

im just saying this again, please search more
Old 09-16-2016, 12:06 PM

I've looked around for lateral arm bushings as well with no success, as the bushing on the drivers side in my car is pretty torn up. I thought about the idea of filling with polyurethane, but from what I could gather that was a bad idea, as these bushings need a bit of flex for the beam linkage to be able to operate properly, so I don't know if a solid bushing is doable or not. I will likely buy a new lateral arm from a local dealership and replace the whole thing, which does seem a little unnecessary given that it's just the one bushing that looks worn on mine.

For the linkage itself, you can by yourself a new QT link, I just bought and installed it into my car a few weeks ago. If you are lowered it centers your rear beam almost perfectly, and it also has a little stiffer bushings than what comes in the stock linkage as well.

http://www.tdmimports.com/index.php?...&product_id=67
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
wrong search query, use the proper term

trailing arm bushings , tons of threads.

im just saying this again, please search more
No, that's not the right term. Searching for an hour is how I figured out it wasn't the right term. So, uh...you might want to try searching more next time before you post. Just sayin'...

The lateral arm and the lateral arm link are what I was searching for. Took a little while to find them. Eventually, I brought up a diagram of the rear axle, found the part number and got a name for it. Then I took the name and did a google search on maxima.org and found a little bit on it. I searched google images and followed a picture of the lateral arm to maxima.org where I was finally able to find a thread on it that was helpful. That thread didn't answer my question, though, nor did any of the other few threads I found here on the subject. Therefore, I posted a thread.

Like I said, once someone showed me how to use google to search maxima.org, I didn't ask hardly any more questions, because I was finally able to find stuff on this site for myself. I'm sure most people wouldn't search for an hour or more before asking questions. Just sayin'...

Here's the thread I found about the lateral arm and lateral arm link: https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...rt-called.html

- Brian
Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Here's a thread I found that almost answers my question, but I don't think these are in production anymore since someone was making them here and doesn't seem to do so anymore: https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ushings-2.html

And: https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...gs-review.html

And here's another installation thread that's helpful even though it's a Sentra: http://www.b15u.com/threads/9568-How...k-step-by-step

And here's a link to a stock replacement for the lateral link: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ad=47584901292

Kevin,

Thanks for the link. That's awesome. That takes care of one of the bushing sets. Now I just need to find the lateral arm bushings. That link I listed above in this post is the only one I've found so far. The bushings don't flex hardly at all. They'd be perfect if Speedymax99 still made them. If he doesn't, I'm at least trying to ask him how he made them so I can make a set for my car. It's a shame those QT links are so expensive. They're not really that expensive, but for some a small piece, it seems expensive. lol I'm gonna see if I can find them cheaper anywhere before I order them.

Thanks again.

- Brian

Last edited by Cephyr13; 09-16-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cephyr13
Here's a thread I found that almost answers my question, but I don't think these are in production anymore since someone was making them here and doesn't seem to do so anymore: https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ushings-2.html

And: https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...gs-review.html

And here's another installation thread that's helpful even though it's a Sentra: http://www.b15u.com/threads/9568-How...k-step-by-step

And here's a link to a stock replacement for the lateral link: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ad=47584901292

Kevin,

Thanks for the link. That's awesome. That takes care of one of the bushing sets. Now I just need to find the lateral arm bushings. That link I listed above in this post is the only one I've found so far. The bushings don't flex hardly at all. They'd be perfect if Speedymax99 still made them. If he doesn't, I'm at least trying to ask him how he made them so I can make a set for my car. It's a shame those QT links are so expensive. They're not really that expensive, but for some a small piece, it seems expensive. lol I'm gonna see if I can find them cheaper anywhere before I order them.

Thanks again.

- Brian
As far as I know, the Delrin link bushings were made only for older maximas, like 95-99 or something like that. I found that out the hard way because I ordered a set of the bushings thinking they were a universal fit, and discovered the hard way that they don't fit in a 2003 lateral link, I can't recall if they were too big or too small, but they definitely don't fit. As far as I recall these delrin bushings were for the lateral link only, not the lateral arm itself.

Give user cardana24 a shout through PM, he recently had a couple of new QT links for sale. He pretty much refused to sell to me because of shipping to Canada (weird to give up an easy sale for a tiny bit of extra paperwork, but whatever), he may still have one of these available to sell.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Kevin,

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it'd fit my car or not. I'm curious whether or not the lateral arm setup from the 4th gen Maxima can be used on our 5th gen. If it can, I can just swap it over and use the Delrins. However, that's an awful lot of work for something like that. I'm just afraid I've got so much weight in the backend that it's gonna kill the current bushings quickly.

I just PMed cardana24. Thanks.

Oh, and thank you for not just saying, "Please search the forum better next time." LOL *gives Prophecy99 the stinkeye.* :P
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 AM

thought u wanted trailing arm bushings, didn't realize u wanted a rare piece, and your right its lateral link is the better term for what you want here, search the forums for solid rear axle beam or "lateral link" , and that will snow ball into other things, searching " recentering rear beam " too is something that will help u understand this area better as well
Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 AM

Scott Russel Link

one more to chew on
Old 09-19-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
thought u wanted trailing arm bushings, didn't realize u wanted a rare piece, and your right its lateral link is the better term for what you want here, search the forums for solid rear axle beam or "lateral link" , and that will snow ball into other things, searching " recentering rear beam " too is something that will help u understand this area better as well
Thanks. Yeah that's basically what I did, sort of, to find the threads. I think replacing the lateral link and trailing arm bushings, just for good measure, should be good enough for now. I may look into other mods later. I'm considering a sway bar kit, but they don't look fun to install.