5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Nissan Maxima nothing mode***

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Nissan Maxima nothing mode***

Driving my car to work this morning and stopped at a 4 way stop (about 4 miles from house). I went to accelerate and had no acceleration. Pulled it over to the side of the road and sat there. It was idling and I could rev the engine in neutral but could not in any other gears. The check engine light, TCS light, and another light came on. Then went off. Then on again. I shut off the car and the horn made 6 short beeps about 10 sec apart. I then tried to start the vehicle, dashboard lights came on but would not crank over. I had it at the shop a week before to replace alternator. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Solutions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Merkdaddy
Driving my car to work this morning and stopped at a 4 way stop (about 4 miles from house). I went to accelerate and had no acceleration. Pulled it over to the side of the road and sat there. It was idling and I could rev the engine in neutral but could not in any other gears. The check engine light, TCS light, and another light came on. Then went off. Then on again. I shut off the car and the horn made 6 short beeps about 10 sec apart. I then tried to start the vehicle, dashboard lights came on but would not crank over. I had it at the shop a week before to replace alternator. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Solutions? Thanks in advance.
Check your transmission fluid level
Old 10-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, I will do that after work!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:40 PM

And when you check your fluid level you'll find that it's ok. That sounds like you had an inferior alternator installed.

I owned an 03 Maxima and when the OE alternator on it died I had my shop replace it; not once, not twice, but 3 times all within 6 weeks of the original one going bad. As it turned out the aftermarket alternators from AutoZone, O'Reilly's or Pep Boys don't seem to put out as much voltage as the OE ones do. Maxima's need about 14.3 volts and the aftermarkets I got put out roughly about 12.9 to 13.3 which I found was not enough.

The basic symptoms of a bad alternator on a 4th and 5th Gen Maxima are exactly what you described, (all the dash lights coming on, and the engine dying when put in gear.) You have a bad alternator, have your mechanic buy one from the dealership, it will cost a little more but it will solve your problem. I've been down this road with 2 different Maxima's, good luck.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 gle auto 195k.Almost the same thing happened to me about a wk n half ago. Going to work, stopped at the light about to drive off and nothing. No D R no 1 n 2, it would just rev, did the whole turning off and wait but didn't work. Had to get the car towed hm.
I first was going to checked the pass side axle bc that was the last 1 changed a while back.after I had changed it I would get a like a racking shake coming from that side n would have to easy off the gas for it to go away (would happen ever so often). when I jacked up the car, I noticed the wheel had alot of play. Then I notice 1 of the lca bushing was busted, had that changed but still the same thing. Took out the axle to examine it but it looked good, thought maybe the splines got worn out or broken off.
I checked the tranny fluid and it needs changing, haven't don't it yet bc I get this grinding noise coming from the tranny whenever the car is on and I'm putting it back in park, it would kinda sound like when you pull up the hand break. I'm thinking it's something internal and I might need a new tranny or just sell the car as is and move on.
My friend said he was getting the same noise when he would put it in P in his x5, turns out it was the transfer case.
So maybe its the transfer case on mine.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by SteelyDan
2000 gle auto 195k.Almost the same thing happened to me about a wk n half ago. Going to work, stopped at the light about to drive off and nothing. No D R no 1 n 2, it would just rev, did the whole turning off and wait but didn't work. Had to get the car towed hm.
I first was going to checked the pass side axle bc that was the last 1 changed a while back.after I had changed it I would get a like a racking shake coming from that side n would have to easy off the gas for it to go away (would happen ever so often). when I jacked up the car, I noticed the wheel had alot of play. Then I notice 1 of the lca bushing was busted, had that changed but still the same thing. Took out the axle to examine it but it looked good, thought maybe the splines got worn out or broken off.
I checked the tranny fluid and it needs changing, haven't don't it yet bc I get this grinding noise coming from the tranny whenever the car is on and I'm putting it back in park, it would kinda sound like when you pull up the hand break. I'm thinking it's something internal and I might need a new tranny or just sell the car as is and move on.
My friend said he was getting the same noise when he would put it in P in his x5, turns out it was the transfer case.
So maybe its the transfer case on mine.
Formatting, please. It's hard to read and looks like run on sentences without capitalization, especially without paragraphs.

You don't have a transfer case lol. If we did, then no one would buy infinitis.