5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Deleting main cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM

Deleting main cat

He guys, i have a stock exhaust setup, have deleted the resanator but its still too quiet, was wondeing how much louder would it make if i deleted the main cat?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 PM

There's an easy trick you could try before you go through all that.

Unbolt the flange that goes to the muffler, remove the gasket and put washers on the bolts between the flanges. When you tighten it you'll have a big gap that will definitely increase your sound.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
There's an easy trick you could try before you go through all that.

Unbolt the flange that goes to the muffler, remove the gasket and put washers on the bolts between the flanges. When you tighten it you'll have a big gap that will definitely increase your sound.
got a pic explaining that? from the sound of it, sounds like creating an exhaust leak but then again im not entirely understanding what youre saying so maybe im wrong
Old 10-10-2016, 09:50 PM

You're right. It creates a large exhaust leak by separating the flanges by the width of the washers. The more washers you use the louder it'll be. I don't have any pics but it'll be obvious when you look at it. Just stack washers over the bolts BETWEEN the flanges where the gasket would go.

I can't tell you how it'll sound as I've never done it. It will definitely increase the volume and is way simpler (and more legal) than deleting the cat.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 10-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Bad *** Newb

Even with headers and TP it won't be much louder at all (literally just a slight throatiness, sounds good, but very inaudible).

Go 3" or go home.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:54 AM

My bend to the muffler rotted out completely and honestly without the muffler the maxima is still pretty quiet and slightly throaty. Actually, I don't even plan on buying a new one, I enjoy it and keep the muffler disconnected and hanging to keep local law enforcement happy.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 AM

My Greddy cat back sounds amazing. Slight rumble at idle, deep tone on throttle. Even some popping on deceleration..... in gear. If you have the cash, I suggest a quality cat back system. Maybe even a cheap ebay one. You won't be disappointed. Lmk if you'd want a sound clip. Lol
Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
You're right. It creates a large exhaust leak by separating the flanges by the width of the washers. The more washers you use the louder it'll be. I don't have any pics but it'll be obvious when you look at it. Just stack washers over the bolts BETWEEN the flanges where the gasket would go.
I can't tell you how it'll sound as I've never done it. It will definitely increase the volume and is way simpler (and more legal) than deleting the cat.
umm no thanks ill pass, that's the ghetto noise, when people get exhaust leaks they think the car sounds so much better and never end up fixing it. Your mpg goes down the drain and im not sure who thinks that's a very 'automotive' sound to listen to cause it sounds like a lawnmower ready to explode any minute.
Listen, lets not get all environmental now, you wanna do that, get all the VW's caught in the emission fraud and get back to me. I still have 2 cats, im not taking all of them off, just was wondering if deleting the main one would make any difference and also I have this rattle at a certain revs, been researching and have found that cat to be the cause of it so wanted to eliminate it and see if that would change things.

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Even with headers and TP it won't be much louder at all (literally just a slight throatiness, sounds good, but very inaudible).
Go 3" or go home.
Headers and TP wont be much louder compared to stock? Are you sure about that? Its day and night, you can wake a whole neighbourhood with that setup lol

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
My bend to the muffler rotted out completely and honestly without the muffler the maxima is still pretty quiet and slightly throaty. Actually, I don't even plan on buying a new one, I enjoy it and keep the muffler disconnected and hanging to keep local law enforcement happy.
Ive heard muffler deletes, it def aint no g35 and I didn't find it to be a very appealing noise

Originally Posted by AEKnight
My Greddy cat back sounds amazing. Slight rumble at idle, deep tone on throttle. Even some popping on deceleration..... in gear. If you have the cash, I suggest a quality cat back system. Maybe even a cheap ebay one. You won't be disappointed. Lmk if you'd want a sound clip. Lol
Yes, have heard the sp2 mufflers, they sound nice, yes go ahead and post a video, also where did you get it from? Ive checked the ebay ones, not worth it to me, they make the cars sounds like civics, I want to hear the vq's open up so the ebay stuff didn't excite me
Old 10-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Theres not much you can do with stock exhaust to make it loud. Youll still have that giant muffler killing most of the noise. Other things people might suggest would be gutting the cat or a Y-pipe. I had the same desire for sound so I just bought an ebay exhaust. Its more of a straight pipe but as long as you keep the silencer on its not too loud. Definitely a nice throaty sound though. Nothing you'd expect for its price haha

Last edited by BlackoutSE; 10-11-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:01 AM

I went with cheap ebay stainless high flow main cat. Its basically a 2.5in pipe(no restrictions). I went with a megan racing cat back and the sound was just about perfect. Not so loud everyone at a stop light want to race you but loud enough to know it was there.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
umm no thanks ill pass, that's the ghetto noise, when people get exhaust leaks they think the car sounds so much better and never end up fixing it. Your mpg goes down the drain and im not sure who thinks that's a very 'automotive' sound to listen to cause it sounds like a lawnmower ready to explode any minute.
Listen, lets not get all environmental now, you wanna do that, get all the VW's caught in the emission fraud and get back to me. I still have 2 cats, im not taking all of them off, just was wondering if deleting the main one would make any difference and also I have this rattle at a certain revs, been researching and have found that cat to be the cause of it so wanted to eliminate it and see if that would change things.

Headers and TP wont be much louder compared to stock? Are you sure about that? Its day and night, you can wake a whole neighbourhood with that setup.
Stock muffler removes 95% of the volume.

I have no idea what an exhaust leak has to do with fuel economy...

Precats are useless.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Stock muffler removes 95% of the volume.
I have no idea what an exhaust leak has to do with fuel economy...
Precats are useless.
Yea, I had a feeling you would say that but just wanted to verify. As for exhaust leaks, you can google it up and see it for yourself, heck not only does it hurt mileage, performance as well. Now when I say affect mileage, I don't mean if you were getting 500 kms per tank you will now get 400 but its definitely there. I don't want that sound anyways so no point even getting into it lol
Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlackoutSE
Theres not much you can do with stock exhaust to make it loud. Youll still have that giant muffler killing most of the noise. Other things people might suggest would be gutting the cat or a Y-pipe. I had the same desire for sound so I just bought an ebay exhaust. Its more of a straight pipe but as long as you keep the silencer on its not too loud. Definitely a nice throaty sound though. Nothing you'd expect for its price haha
You have any clips?
Originally Posted by losifanatic
I went with cheap ebay stainless high flow main cat. Its basically a 2.5in pipe(no restrictions). I went with a megan racing cat back and the sound was just about perfect. Not so loud everyone at a stop light want to race you but loud enough to know it was there.
any clips?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:14 AM

No clips as l put headers on shortly after. Now its freakin loud
Old 10-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Just my two cents, don't make your car loud. You'll regret it. And if you do, make power the real reason behind making it louder. Get headers and a 3" catback. It'll actually increase power and give it a good sound, without being ghetto. And even then, it kinda sucks having a loud car, believe me. Having to wear earplugs anytime you go on the freeway is a pita.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by IsaacFall
Just my two cents, don't make your car loud. You'll regret it. And if you do, make power the real reason behind making it louder. Get headers and a 3" catback. It'll actually increase power and give it a good sound, without being ghetto. And even then, it kinda sucks having a loud car, believe me. Having to wear earplugs anytime you go on the freeway is a pita.
100% agree. The drone from the exhaust at 70 to 80mph is horrible. All in search for more power... l loved how the exhaust sound was with the cat back and high flow cat. Adding the headers made it loud and where everyone wants to race at the stop lights. Long trips with the full exhaust is tough
Old 10-11-2016, 11:44 AM

No clips as l put headers on shortly after. Now its freakin loud
100% agree. The drone from the exhaust at 70 to 80mph is horrible. All in search for more power... l loved how the exhaust sound was with the cat back and high flow cat. Adding the headers made it loud and where everyone wants to race at the stop lights. Long trips with the full exhaust is tough

I think that was the first mistake you made was by getting headers, cause theres no restriction left, you can get a resonator to bring the volume and drone down. Do you have one on the car now?

I don't wanna go all out, wanna stay cheap cause lets be honest, adding 10 hp in these cars aint getting me anywhere faster lol. With everything im doing to the car, performance is the last thing im worried about because for that you need to spend $$$ which on this car is worthless. I have an I35 with a 4 speed, yea so you understand what im saying. I have a nice tone to the car, just want to open it a tad bit more. I was thinking of just getting a muffler but something worthwhile. Have heard the greddy ones, those have peaked my interest. Heard HKS, not impressed, wanted to hear some more but greddy is the one im interested in so far. As for removing the main cat, well see, not 100% sold on that yet. Other than ebay, where else can one get these mufflers from?
Old 10-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Bad *** Newb

Cattman is quiet unless under load uphill (even then not terrible)... Idk about the BRM.
QR25 with 3" will give you a headache at 3k+ rpm.

NO ONE will race me. They all completely ignore me. There is a neon srt4 that wants to ricer fly by, but that's it.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:34 PM

I even had a guy in a honda mini van trying to race me. After about a mile.or so of him trying l put th clutch in and reved it up. He nailed the gas and took off. I just put it back in 6th gear and kept going the speed limit.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 PM

I agree with you on that. 2k rpm and below sounds great. and above 3k rpm sounds great too. It's pretty much just 2,200 rpm to 3k rpm where the awful drone is. I've got the 18x6 magnaflow resonator, but I'm thinking about remeasuring to see if I can fit the 30x6. I originally thought the 30x6 wouldn't fit, but I think that was just because of the safety catch, which I don't even have on anymore.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 AM

Yea, I had a feeling you would say that but just wanted to verify. As for exhaust leaks, you can google it up and see it for yourself, heck not only does it hurt mileage, performance as well. Now when I say affect mileage, I don't mean if you were getting 500 kms per tank you will now get 400 but its definitely there. I don't want that sound anyways so no point even getting into it lol
Leaks at the y pipe are the ones that kill mileage and power. A leak at the muffler or a delete wont kill power or economy noticeably. The washer trick is WIDELY used on the subaru forums knows as the HOGZAUST. The trick to a nice sound is no muffler and alot of resonators. There straight through and absorb the raspier exhaust notes. Mufflers eat the lower decibels better

Last edited by MadMax SE; 10-12-2016 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:07 AM

Install this. I did and it's amazing. Sounds just like cattman 3" open, like stock closed. (well stock w headers) Best of both worlds. And wife doesn't complain anymore.
http://www.xforceusa.com/xforce-prod...-300/cid-/vid-

I've got the 18x6 magnaflow resonator, but I'm thinking about remeasuring to see if I can fit the 30x6. I originally thought the 30x6 wouldn't fit, but I think that was just because of the safety catch, which I don't even have on anymore.
I have the 30x6. There's a myth around here that it won't fit. Not sure why, it fits great on my '01. I put a bunch of pics of the install in the "carltonator" thread. Basically I just cut off about 2" of the bpipe before it starts it's first bend, still have the flanges and everything. Of course like you said you have to remove the cross brace underneath the car.....so don't get side swiped!

edit: here,
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...gnaflow-4.html

Last edited by TSelanne; 10-12-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
Leaks at the y pipe are the ones that kill mileage and power. A leak at the muffler or a delete wont kill power or economy noticeably. The washer trick is WIDELY used on the subaru forums knows as the HOGZAUST. The trick to a nice sound is no muffler and alot of resonators. There straight through and absorb the raspier exhaust notes. Mufflers eat the lower decibels better
Interesting....wasn't aware of the HOGZAUST lol, I like the name.
Do you have the setup you are talking about? no mufflers and 3 resonators?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Interesting....wasn't aware of the HOGZAUST lol, I like the name.
Do you have the setup you are talking about? no mufflers and 3 resonators?
Not currently, I still have the rusted out stock pipe. But when I delete the cat I will be running 2 diffrent resonators(Glass and mesh packed)back to back in it's place and down most of where the mid pipe/ stock resonator is. I'll be using 2 diffrent ones to filter out diffrent decibels in the exhaust note. I had a straight piped 4 banger previously (4-1 header straight piped) and a resonator kept the volume and got rid of 75% of the rasp.