5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Nissan Max - Halogen to Xenon/HID ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Nissan Max - Halogen to Xenon/HID ?

Hello to all who have clicked on this thread, I'm trying to switch my faded halogen headlamps on my 2000 5th gen to something much more brighter. (HID/Xenon) What would be the best option to go about this? I need some step by step installation directions as I will be doing this myself. I know I will be needing a conversion kit but I need a full explanation so i can understand and execute this without any problems.

Also, currently I have no Fog lamps but want to install some bright yellow ones. Would I be able to use 30 W, 1200 LM LED H3 bulbs for the assembly?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this first post!
Much love - Brian
Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 AM

Hey Brian,

I don't think you're going to be very pleased with the results of just swapping in some HID bulbs/ballasts into the stock housings. The reflector housing isn't really designed to accommodate the HID bulb's output into significant usable light without producing a large amount of glare for oncoming traffic. But, if you did want to go that route, there's a large number of companies that will sell the plug 'n play kit for H4. You would need to get the bi-xenon kit that uses a "flapper" in order to retain the HID output for hi/lo. And please, don't go with a Kelvin rating higher than 6000K.

The better options would be to either a) retrofit some bi-xenon projectors into the 5th gen housing after baking it apart it, or b) sourcing some 5.5th gen headlights and using them.

Or you could always retrofit the 5.5th gen headlights as well.

Check out this thread for some inspiration: https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...fit-build.html

For the fogs, those lights would probably work. IMO the lexus capsule retrofit looks better.

Genes1s and ChrisMan287 are basically the resident lighting/retrofit geniuses on here. Take a look at some of their threads.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brian-

Here is the link for the online retailer I got mine from. Hopefully, your OEM headlights lenses aren't too clouded over. If so, there are plenty of good quality replacements out there.

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips.../12953bwx2.htm
Old 01-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brian

Not sure where my first post went but.. Heel is right in saying to invest in a good quality setup. Definitely beware of the eBay stuff, just too hard to pick the cream from the crap.

I had a HID setup for a couple years and just switched to LED bulbs. What a huge difference!! The ONLY one to buy in my opinion is the Philips Extreme Utiliton H4 LED. Philips is a reputable worldwide OEM manufacturer and they got this bulb absolutely right.

I have tried several others but this is by far the best way to go. Incredible down road visibility, pure white light and a perfect fit in the OEM headlight housings. Unfortunately, the don't make a fog light bulb. Yet. Install these plug-n-play LED bulbs and find yourself a dark road somewhere. You'll be amazed, I promise.

Here is the link below