5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 AM

Transmission Failure

So since I've owned my car, it has always had a rough 2nd to 3rd shift. Once the car warmed up it would be good and shift fine. But now it's doing it in 1st gear. Even though the car is still hot, if I give it mild throttle it will shift out of 1st, hang for a bit and then slam into 2nd. I know the tranny is probably shot, but is there anything I can do to prolong the life? I don't have enough money to fix it or get a used one, so I'm stuck. It will shift fine under normal acceleration but if you get into it, it will do it. Not always though.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 AM

Also, the fluid level is good and it was flushed in the summer.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:55 AM

Year/mileage?

Did you power flush it? Older transmissions sometimes fail after this is done.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 PM

2002 130k miles. The flush wasn't the issue because it only just started doing this. The flush happened way before that. I only said it so someone doesn't suggest changing the fluid.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:15 PM

So here's my plan now. Since I don't have enough money, I'm gonna drive the car how it is for a year or two until I get money. Then, I'm gonna buy a used transmission with low miles online. And then pay someone to swap it in. Hopefully the tranny makes it that long lol.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Bad *** Newb

This is a common problem if there is a tranny issue. Replacing the solenoids can be a fix.

A power flush surely didn't help.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
This is a common problem if there is a tranny issue. Replacing the solenoids can be a fix.

A power flush surely didn't help.
I'm just gonna buy a used one when the time comes. I read that the solenoid pack is a hit or miss. Plus that the pack doesn't control the 1-2 shifts?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:15 AM

http://car-part.com/

This site is great for locating used parts. A tranny will ship freight so don't worry about buying one from farther away.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
http://car-part.com/

This site is great for locating used parts. A tranny will ship freight so don't worry about buying one from farther away.
Thanks, I just checked it out for a sec and there's quite a bit of them for about $2-300
Old 12-28-2016, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
2002 130k miles. The flush wasn't the issue because it only just started doing this. The flush happened way before that. I only said it so someone doesn't suggest changing the fluid.
If you didn't have any problems before and they all began cropping up after the flush, then there's a high likelihood the flush is the culprit. Many shops refuse to flush after 100K since it can knock a bunch of gunk loose that can clog the tiny valves and passages in the tranny.

Try a bottle of Lubegard Red. Remove 10 oz of ATF and add the bottle of LG. It's one of the few non-snake oil additives out there actually mentioned in OEM TSB's.

And BTW, what ATF did the shop put in?
Old 12-28-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
If you didn't have any problems before and they all began cropping up after the flush, then there's a high likelihood the flush is the culprit. Many shops refuse to flush after 100K since it can knock a bunch of gunk loose that can clog the tiny valves and passages in the tranny.

Try a bottle of Lubegard Red. Remove 10 oz of ATF and add the bottle of LG. It's one of the few non-snake oil additives out there actually mentioned in OEM TSB's.

And BTW, what ATF did the shop put in?
I have no clue, I bought the car after the fact. They showed me the receipt for it. When I buy my used tranny, I'll be sure to buy the proper ATF and give it to them to use.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
I have no clue, I bought the car after the fact. They showed me the receipt for it. When I buy my used tranny, I'll be sure to buy the proper ATF and give it to them to use.
I'd try the $10 LG before springing for a new tranny lol

That's just me, though.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
I'd try the $10 LG before springing for a new tranny lol

That's just me, though.
My last car had a tranny issue too. Tried changing the fluid and adding additives, but ultimately it started failing. I'm just gonna leave it how it is and get a different one. If it starts getting worse, I can throw in a bottle of that stuff.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 PM

Dude, LUCAS OIL TRANSFIX. Manual drain & fill with Valvoline Synthetic Dex/Merc high mileage 3 times, then on the 4th one add two bottles of Lucas and fill the remainder with the Valvoline. If this doesn't save it, it's time for a new tranny! Power flush = bad; drain and fill = good!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:01 AM

I just replaced my trans at 139k. It had been acting up off & on for a year, but I was not using it the whole time. I tried new solenoids (did nothing) & a transgo hd2 kit. Don't waste your money trying the solenoids, IMO. I just got an ipt trans barely used for $850 swapped, & I love it.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 AM

Here's what I would do.....save up 1500 bucks and get it rebuilt....that way you have a warranty and you know it has new parts. You can get a used one too but you won't know how much abuse it has already and what you are gonna get....also while you have it out might as well make it better by getting the shift kit put in....some say you don't need the tranny out to do the kit....wrong, do it right the first time....any codes for the tranny ? Sounds like the famous circuit malfunction code....tranny is gonna die so baby it and save...good luck.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Here's what I would do.....save up 1500 bucks and get it rebuilt....that way you have a warranty and you know it has new parts. You can get a used one too but you won't know how much abuse it has already and what you are gonna get....also while you have it out might as well make it better by getting the shift kit put in....some say you don't need the tranny out to do the kit....wrong, do it right the first time....any codes for the tranny ? Sounds like the famous circuit malfunction code....tranny is gonna die so baby it and save...good luck.
No codes. I really would like a rebuild, but I want it to be as cheap as possible. That's why I wanted to go the used tranny route. But a rebuild will ultimately be the best route.