5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 08:05 AM

Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Just curious if it's been done yet. I would also like to know how the valve body mod affects manual shifting on the new gated tranny.

Thanks... Peace
Old 01-31-2002, 08:28 AM
swallac2

Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS
Just curious if it's been done yet. I would also like to know how the valve body mod affects manual shifting on the new gated tranny.

Thanks... Peace

I'm new to the Maxima speak, used to be (and still am at heart) a white trash Firebird Formula driver. Can you descibe this mod and it's benefits? I have a 2k2 6 Speed....

Thanks
Steve

Old 01-31-2002, 08:41 AM

Re: Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Originally posted by swallac2

I'm new to the Maxima speak, used to be (and still am at heart) a white trash Firebird Formula driver. Can you descibe this mod and it's benefits? I have a 2k2 6 Speed....

Thanks
Steve
The Valve Body mod is for automagic cars only. Here's the explanation from MaxFAQ's:

The Valvebody (VB) recalibration is a mod for your auto transmission that will give you quicker, firmer shifts (which eliminates the weak point in the auto tranny: switching between gears). Normally, the auto transmission is calibrated to give you nice, slow shifts so as to ephasize luxury over performance. With a recalibrated VB, your shifts will be quicker and harder thus giving you faster times on the track. In addition to the performance advantages, a recalibrated VB will exert less wear on the transmission. Slow shifts will put more wear on the transmission components. A recalibrated VB may allow your transmission to actually last longer. However, the recalibrated VB does require the use of a transmission cooler. This is because the faster, harder shifts will heat up the transmission fluid quicker. The VB mod is said to eliminate up to .4 seconds in the quarter mile. Check out Level 10 or MobileTek Racing for more information.
Credit: UMD_MaxSE and Synki
Old 01-31-2002, 08:54 AM
swallac2

Re: Re: Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

The Valve Body mod is for automagic cars only. Here's the explanation from MaxFAQ's:

The Valvebody (VB) recalibration is a mod for your auto transmission that will give you quicker, firmer shifts (which eliminates the weak point in the auto tranny: switching between gears). Normally, the auto transmission is calibrated to give you nice, slow shifts so as to ephasize luxury over performance. With a recalibrated VB, your shifts will be quicker and harder thus giving you faster times on the track. In addition to the performance advantages, a recalibrated VB will exert less wear on the transmission. Slow shifts will put more wear on the transmission components. A recalibrated VB may allow your transmission to actually last longer. However, the recalibrated VB does require the use of a transmission cooler. This is because the faster, harder shifts will heat up the transmission fluid quicker. The VB mod is said to eliminate up to .4 seconds in the quarter mile. Check out Level 10 or MobileTek Racing for more information.
Sorry man I'm running a few ticks behinds today, I should have known that!!!

Old 01-31-2002, 10:48 AM

Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Thanks... Peace
Hopefully, Matt and/or I will let you know Sunday or Monday.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:03 AM

As of what i know, no one has done the VB mod yet for the 2k2's. Maybe you can PM Don in Texas and see if he plans on doing this. Most local transmission shops will not do this mod. You can try Level 10 (www.levelten.com). I know they will do any transmissions. They are located in NJ. You can stop over there or even ship you VB there.

I personally have the VB mod and it did not yank .4 off my Q-mile. Actually it took nothing off for me & im on the bottle so who knows.

I will say that it shifts way faster and its a great investment.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:53 AM

to the best of my knowledge, eric and i will be the first 2k2s with don's vb mod
Old 01-31-2002, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by mattattax
to the best of my knowledge, eric and i will be the first 2k2s with don's vb mod
I should be getting my done in the next few weeks. From what I hear about the benefits of it, I can't wait.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:43 PM
Lightly modded

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Originally posted by Synki

As of what i know, no one has done the VB mod yet for the 2k2's. Maybe you can PM Don in Texas and see if he plans on doing this. Most local transmission shops will not do this mod. You can try Level 10 (www.levelten.com). I know they will do any transmissions. They are located in NJ. You can stop over there or even ship you VB there.

I personally have the VB mod and it did not yank .4 off my Q-mile. Actually it took nothing off for me & im on the bottle so who knows.

I will say that it shifts way faster and its a great investment.
im just curious, but if it makes you shift faster, how does it not improve your time? im interested because i need to know if its worth all that money...im sorta poor
Old 02-08-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Originally posted by ehughes

Hopefully, Matt and/or I will let you know Sunday or Monday.
WELLLLLLL????? How do you like? Did you get tranny cooler? Let's hear the scoop, the whole scoop, and nothin but the scoop!!!
Old 02-08-2002, 12:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Originally posted by 95maxrider

im just curious, but if it makes you shift faster, how does it not improve your time? im interested because i need to know if its worth all that money...im sorta poor
It reduces your time between shifts, for a quicker 1/4 mile.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:09 PM

proves that you still learn things when you are not at school
Old 02-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Lightly modded

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Originally posted by theMax

It reduces your time between shifts, for a quicker 1/4 mile.
I know its supposed to, but Synki said it didn't take any time off his 1/4. what gives? i dont get how its worth all the money if it doesnt make you any faster
Old 02-09-2002, 05:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone do VB mod on 2K2?

Originally posted by 95maxrider

I know its supposed to, but Synki said it didn't take any time off his 1/4. what gives? i dont get how its worth all the money if it doesnt make you any faster
Don said that it WILL take time off your 1/4 mile unless your tranny has problems.

It is his mod, so its in his best intrest to say that it works, but he is pretty respected around here also.

Maybe synki's tranny is slipping?
Old 02-09-2002, 05:58 PM

WELLLLLLL????? How do you like? Did you get tranny cooler? Let's hear the scoop, the whole scoop, and nothin but the scoop!!!
i haven't installed the tranny cooler yet (damn flu)--i love the mod though, i started a thread about it last week, here's a link

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=dons
Old 02-10-2002, 07:14 AM

The reason i think why it hasnt really impoved my time was b/c the car was still VERy new when i swapped out VB's (15k miles on my car). I ran 15.5 stock w/o it. With the VB, CAI, & Y-pipe i was only able to drop to 15.3. Ant95se did the swap wiht me & his gained no time as well.

If you look at all the 4th gen w/ it their times hasnt improved .4 in teh 1./4 mile. If that was true, all teh autos would be in the 14's. THe guys who have basic mods like VB, intake, & exhaust pull 15.4-15.2's. It is showing that it hasnt drastically improved much & these are guys w/ more miels then me. Guys who have the same mods w/o VB mod can pull the same time. What gives? No idea myself.

Dont get me wrong, the mod works great but i dont see anyone gainning .4 on their 1/4 mile time unless they are producing some big numbers.

My cousins Supra BPU+ w/ a level 10 rebuild has a higher stall , HP clutches, & a VB mod & was only able to gain .3-.4.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Synki
The reason i think why it hasnt really impoved my time was b/c the car was still VERy new when i swapped out VB's (15k miles on my car). I ran 15.5 stock w/o it. With the VB, CAI, & Y-pipe i was only able to drop to 15.3. Ant95se did the swap wiht me & his gained no time as well.

If you look at all the 4th gen w/ it their times hasnt improved .4 in teh 1./4 mile. If that was true, all teh autos would be in the 14's. THe guys who have basic mods like VB, intake, & exhaust pull 15.4-15.2's. It is showing that it hasnt drastically improved much & these are guys w/ more miels then me. Guys who have the same mods w/o VB mod can pull the same time. What gives? No idea myself.

Dont get me wrong, the mod works great but i dont see anyone gainning .4 on their 1/4 mile time unless they are producing some big numbers.

My cousins Supra BPU+ w/ a level 10 rebuild has a higher stall , HP clutches, & a VB mod & was only able to gain .3-.4.
After two times to the track, I have learned alot. My first time out, I did not have the VB Mod. The second time out I did and ran .4 second slower, and without my subbox!! Different track, different temp., elevation, etc.. However, my main downfall (i think) was altering my intake slightly the night before.

The VB mod does make my 2k2 shift quicker and should increase the longevity of the transmission, but I think .3-.4 differences in 1/4 mile times are unrealistic w/ the 2k2 VB Mod. I do not regret getting the mod and will go back to the same track I ran the first time to see if the VB mod will show a difference. BTW, I will leave my subbox in this time!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Guys, sorry to bring back an extremely old thread. But I can't search so I had to do it on yahoo. Anyway, is there any sort of write-up on this? How would I find someone around my area to do this? Or is it way too complicated for someone who isn't a professional? Also I have a 2K GLE.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:23 AM

I had a similar mod done to my old Taurus SHO. SHO tranny were know for their issue w/plantary gears not getting enough fluid, the VB mod for the SHO involved drilling oil passages, different springs and some other stuff. The SHO required the tranny to be out of the car. The tranny shop that did the MOD to my SHO asked how I going to use the car, in my case the car was a daily driver and I wanted firm shifts but not tire chirping shifts. The tranny shop set up my tranny with the prope springs for my usage.

I loved the way it shifted, firm for cruising around and when you floored it shifted like a manual tranny.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the info! I think i'll ask a few shops around town.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 AM

Has anyone living in or close to Miami done this? Wondering if anyone reccomends any local shop to do this work and around how much i would be looking at? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Im clueless with this as well

other than level10, can a regular transmission shop recalibrate the vb ?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 AM
dot dot dot ...

www.maximumtuning.net 's
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by reeloop
Im clueless with this as well

other than level10, can a regular transmission shop recalibrate the vb ?
Yes they can, it is also known as a shift kit, but our cars need to have the VB modified as a kit is not available. Also, a suggestion is to donate to the org. and use the search function. By far, the best investment for the Maxima.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

man vb mods are pretty expensive, i would like to do it though. my car ran 14.9 with only a GAB mod, i dont know how you get mid 15s with a 2k2. i do notice that the stock tranny shifts slow, so shifting faster will give you faster time no? i would rather get headers for that kind of money though.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by clborden
Yes they can, it is also known as a shift kit, but our cars need to have the VB modified as a kit is not available. Also, a suggestion is to donate to the org. and use the search function. By far, the best investment for the Maxima.
Will do