5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

raced a eclipse last night.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 09:54 AM
maxgsxr1

raced a eclipse last night.....

it was a 5spd nonturbo gs with mods......anyways i raced him at a rolling start from 20 to about 70 and he didn't have a chance.my car is an auto 2k1 so no big deal i guess. i want to race a turbo.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:08 AM
DOHC 30 V6

Turbos aint a thing...

I raced my friend's automatic Eagle Talon GS-T (mistu sold their design) In my old 94 civic, and it was a joke. AWD, late spooling turbos, and automatic tranny kept him a carlength behind at all times....

Old 01-31-2002, 02:43 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Turbos aint a thing...

I find this hard to believe... I had a '93 Mitsu GSX (almost the same car but heavier) and used to crush little crap cars like that. I could keep up with mustang GTs and if I had a very good start, I'd pass them at the top of second.

I really don't see how, unless someone's mom was driving, you could keep a civic anywhere near a GS-T.

Originally posted by DOHC 30 V6
I raced my friend's automatic Eagle Talon GS-T (mistu sold their design) In my old 94 civic, and it was a joke. AWD, late spooling turbos, and automatic tranny kept him a carlength behind at all times....
Old 01-31-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Re: Turbos aint a thing...

Yeah-I don't see how you could beat that car in a Civic...

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
I find this hard to believe... I had a '93 Mitsu GSX (almost the same car but heavier) and used to crush little crap cars like that. I could keep up with mustang GTs and if I had a very good start, I'd pass them at the top of second.

I really don't see how, unless someone's mom was driving, you could keep a civic anywhere near a GS-T.

Old 01-31-2002, 03:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Turbos aint a thing...

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Yeah-I don't see how you could beat that car in a Civic...
Maybe he failed to mention the turbo in his Civic?
Old 01-31-2002, 04:13 PM

LOL

maybe the GS-T wasn't even racing you in your civic, because its just impossible, civic are crap
Old 01-31-2002, 06:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbos aint a thing...

Maybe....I think he would have mentioned that, though...

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Old 01-31-2002, 06:10 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbos aint a thing...

Yeah, and my VW bug beat a Viper... did I mention the 390hp stock car engine I put in?

Come on, the story made it sound stock. If it wasn't, list it.

There's no way a GS-T that was even semi-interested lost to a *stock* civic. That means it falls somewhere between a mustang 5.0 and Mitsu GSX... no way.

Old 01-31-2002, 06:11 PM

I was kidding...sheesh.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:22 PM
It's chrome alright...

sorry, must be the NyQuil...

although, a friend of mine does have a Turbo sticker next to the "1.3 Liter" badge on his 10-year-old civic... people have asked "was that an option?" He's never given the same wise-a** answer twice.

]Originally posted by MichaelAE
I was kidding...sheesh. [/QUOTE]
Old 01-31-2002, 07:01 PM
DOHC 30 V6

Gees... what a bunch of honda haters... some of us come from more humble roots than others i see. His car was an older eagle talon, who knows what he had done to it, or what may have been wrong with it. I had I/H/E, advanced timing, and generally, a good driving technique. I beat him, how hard is that to believe? Ad by the way, the fact still remains that now, i have an I30.

Old 01-31-2002, 08:28 PM
It's chrome alright...

not a honda hater

in fact, I used to have a Prelude... back when they looked good.

ok, you beat him, but did he know you were racing? In my GSX, I could have just used the odd gears and beat a civic... even with I/H/E and advanced timing... the 'good driving technique' might have tipped the balance and necessitated me using 2nd, too. A GS-T is lighter (quicker) as long as there's no wheel spin... I can't see it.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:05 PM

guys these GSX and GS-T are 260 hp and light...they are really fast...
Old 01-31-2002, 09:09 PM
maxgsxr1

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
guys these GSX and GS-T are 260 hp and light...they are really fast...
4cyclinder nonturbo- 140hp........turbo fwd -195hp.......turbo awd-205hp..........those are the factory ratings before present body style.......

Old 01-31-2002, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by maxgsxr1
4cyclinder nonturbo- 140hp........turbo fwd -195hp.......turbo awd-205hp..........those are the factory ratings before present body style.......
oh, my bad...but hey 205 hp is very good for a light car as that. I am sure that 205hp Eclipse should have performance better than of Prelude V-Tec and Integra GSR.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:35 PM
DOHC 30 V6

Uhh... the car i raced, a 92 or so eagle talon with a fart can exhaust, lost to my civic, with as i stated, I/H/E. And for a majority of you who responded, a very uninformed majority i might add, AWD is a DISADVANTAGE in a drag race. The race I was involved in was a stoplight drag race. An AUTOMATIC TURBO vehicle is simply not fast off the line. But forget all that. Not a single one of you were there, so IMHO, whoever passed judgement on my former car or my credibility can take a seat in hell and begin to rott. Its so easy to jump on the flaming bandwagon and hide behind everyone else's comments - it shows your immaturity level. Lets hope some of you grow up... but i wont hold my breath.

Old 01-31-2002, 09:38 PM
DOHC 30 V6

Moderator....

Would a Mod please close this thread, BTW? No need for any other org members to embarass themselves by arguing about this - in fact, I feel kinda stupid replying to such idiotic and uninformed comments, and I apologise for wasting bandwith on them.

Old 01-31-2002, 10:18 PM

Re: Moderator....

I accidentally posted this as a new thread.

I have a '99 GSX and had a '91 Talon TSi AWD.

For 1990-94 all automatic turbo's whether FWD or AWD were rated at 180hp and ran mid 15s.

The FWD 5-spd models had 190hp and the AWD 5spd models had 195hp. This was due to a more restrictive exhuast on the FWD versions. My guess is they were trying to control wheel spin alittle better.

Its possible a modified Civic Si could beat a stock automatic (especially from a roll) 90-94
DSM since the Si actually ran high 15s. Add nitrous or a JRSC to the equation and its a clean win. Wait....it WAS a Si right? If not he was either having a major mechanical failure or didn't know you were racing.

http://members.home.com/costall/1000Q/index.htm

Jesse
99 GSX
soon2bVQ
Old 01-31-2002, 10:22 PM

Re: raced a eclipse last night.....

Originally posted by maxgsxr1
it was a 5spd nonturbo gs with mods......anyways i raced him at a rolling start from 20 to about 70 and he didn't have a chance.my car is an auto 2k1 so no big deal i guess. i want to race a turbo.
Ahh, i like being slow and losing to BMW M3s

Roger
Old 01-31-2002, 10:36 PM

More rambiling :)

A few other notes on AWD DSM's while we're on the subject.

AWD is a disadvantage from a roll. When you're putting power through a driveshaft, LSD, and two additional axles and wheels, you're looking at around a %30 parasitic HP loss. When you look at the WRX, most stock cars dyno at ~150hp to the wheels. One advantage an automatic Eclipse turbo has over a 5spd is that you can power brake at the starting line and build boost before you launch. It makes for one heck of a launch On the 5spd cars you have to be in gear AND moving before the wastegate solenoid will shut the wastegate on the turbo. But in the end the manual tranny cars will destroy the auto's, especially on top end.

Jesse
Old 01-31-2002, 10:55 PM

Re: Moderator....

Close the thread? Why? Because you don't like "replying to idiotic comments"? Ummm...Well, you seem to be quite adept at doing just that.

Maybe next time you can come up with a better race story

Would a Mod please close this thread, BTW? No need for any other org members to embarass themselves by arguing about this - in fact, I feel kinda stupid replying to such idiotic and uninformed comments, and I apologise for wasting bandwith on them.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:25 AM
DOHC 30 V6

Re: Re: Moderator....

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Close the thread? Why? Because you don't like "replying to idiotic comments"? Ummm...Well, you seem to be quite adept at doing just that.

Maybe next time you can come up with a better race story

Uhhh, how hard is it to reply to idiotic comments?? I mean, I replied to your post! See, its easy. And a better race story?? Puh-leeezeee... I got a better idea, why dont you pound sand up your ***?

Old 02-01-2002, 08:29 AM
It's chrome alright...

I threw up the BS flag...

Would a Mod please close this thread"... ahh, the BS rally cry... Since I called it, can I comment before you "have a moderator close the thread?"

-I noted my AWD would have killed a civic
-I noted that "A GS-T is lighter (quicker) as long as there's no wheel spin" so the GS-T should be faster than my GSX.

So (back to basics), if civic is slower than GSX, and GSX is slower than GS-T, either he didn't know you were racing or you're full of s***.

Lighten up, or listen up while "idiots" point out that your 'good driving technique' can't account for beating a car that has you by 50+hp and nearly a second from 0-60.

Uhhh, how hard is it to reply to idiotic comments?? I mean, I replied to your post! See, its easy. And a better race story?? Puh-leeezeee... I got a better idea, why dont you pound sand up your ***?
Old 02-01-2002, 10:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Moderator....

Hey man, if you get your kicks by shoving things up your a$$, fine. I'm not like that.

Yeah, and next time if you are going to stretch the truth (or just plain lie), make it at least a believable and likely situation, ok? Thanks.

Old 02-01-2002, 10:20 AM

Yo Joe....

How the hell did this thread turn into a big mess? There aren't even any Acura guys on it?

Old 02-01-2002, 11:33 AM
DOHC 30 V6

Re: Yo Joe....

How the hell did this thread turn into a big mess? There aren't even any Acura guys on it?

Thats just it... you could say I still have some honda in me.. I apologise for gettin ****ed off at all this "civics are slow" talk. It shouldn't have bothered me as much as it did. It really shouldnt have bothered me that people on this board think I'm making it up - what for?? I dont even own the civic in question anymore!! All I did was make a statement about a race me and a friend had - and yes, he knew we were racing - (nice put down though, can i use that brilliant specimen of origionality pleeeeeese??) Well, whatever, im pretty sure the kid's car wasnt in the best shape, it was an older model GS-T etc.... but who cares. If it makes you guys feel good to **** on honda people, fine. But be careful what you roll up next to at a light, just because it says honda on it doesnt mean it cant/wont waste you.