5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Removing manifold heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM

Removing manifold heat shield

Can you take out the heat shield just below the manifold.
I got the 3 bolts off, but I can't seem to get it out of its place.
Do you slide it up?
Do you have to take any other parts out to make room?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:49 PM

why you want to remove the heat shield? It is a very very tight space, I don't know who have done it. I have seen mine when I was under the car when I was changing out all the O2 sensor. It's not a lot of room to work with.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:10 PM

Did you use an 02 sensor socket? My socket didn't fit over the upstream sensor but fit over the downstream sensor
Old 02-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
why you want to remove the heat shield? It is a very very tight space, I don't know who have done it. I have seen mine when I was under the car when I was changing out all the O2 sensor. It's not a lot of room to work with.
I want to remove the heat shield to get access to Catalytic converter bolts.
Trying to replace cats.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 AM

I replaced my entire exhaust last year from the pre cats back, and the manifold heat shield in the back was a PITA to remove. My bolts had rusted badly, and stripped so I ultimately ended up drilling them out, and could no longer use the heat shield as it was in bad shape. There is no easy way to remove, you just have to remove the 3 retaining bolts and then wiggle out from above or below. The heat shield is bent and ind of wraps around the manifold so you have to force it. It helps to remove the square retaining bracket up against the firewall that protects the power steering lines, and you'll also have to carefully manipulate around the hoses at the top if you go out that way. I do remember that this took me a long time to do, and that removing the heat shield was a PITA!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
I replaced my entire exhaust last year from the pre cats back, and the manifold heat shield in the back was a PITA to remove. My bolts had rusted badly, and stripped so I ultimately ended up drilling them out, and could no longer use the heat shield as it was in bad shape. There is no easy way to remove, you just have to remove the 3 retaining bolts and then wiggle out from above or below. The heat shield is bent and ind of wraps around the manifold so you have to force it. It helps to remove the square retaining bracket up against the firewall that protects the power steering lines, and you'll also have to carefully manipulate around the hoses at the top if you go out that way. I do remember that this took me a long time to do, and that removing the heat shield was a PITA!
Retaining bracket against the firewall? which heat shield are you talking about. The one I want to remove is in the front of the car near the radiator.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:17 PM

I use antisieze and put a dab on it. This keeps the bolts from rusting in. But I can only imagine.
the precat bank2 should have the same size screws in it attaching the heat gaurd.
but these screw holes go through into the catalyst so you can't remove them.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm in the same boat. The front heat shield looks manageable, but the rear shield looks like a nightmare.

It looks like you have to remove the intake manifold to access the 3 heat shield bolts. Is it possible to remove the rear heat shield without removing the intake manifold?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by SquidBeak
I'm in the same boat. The front heat shield looks manageable, but the rear shield looks like a nightmare.

It looks like you have to remove the intake manifold to access the 3 heat shield bolts. Is it possible to remove the rear heat shield without removing the intake manifold?
Before i replaced my pre cats i was trying to get access to them and heat shield bolts were so badly rusted especially the rear. the front came off easily so i Removed the front shield and the exhaust shop unbolted the rear so it just hangs on there. Very much easier to access the 02 sensors now.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sanford7575
I'm trying to take mine off because of the exhaust rattle noise it makes I have 3" inch exhaust