5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Stuff - Y, Intake, Mounts :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 12:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

New Stuff - Y, Intake, Mounts :-)

So, I'm back in the "play with my car" mood. I just ordered an SS Y-Pipe from Cattman and his engine mounts. I also placed an order from cobymoby for the Berk Technology intake. Goodie, goodie, goodie.

Maybe I can finally take punkdork up on his offer to come over and help me with something. I'm going to buy a lift from Costco this weekend...they have a good deal on one. I'm going to have to send the Max into the shop for the mounts and I was thinking of letting them do the y-pipe, but I really think that would be more fun to do myself along with the intake.

Now, on to the big decision about struts and springs vs. the gen2 coilover. I almost ordered the whole sh'bang from Cattman this time, but I'm still not sure I want to go with that coilover set as opposed to just KYB/H&R. I'm sure everybody is on the edge of their seats waiting for my big decision, so I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:10 PM
PhatGuy

Modding is exciting but expensive. Just ask Kev!

Old 01-31-2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Modding is exciting but expensive. Just ask Kev!
I bought it to play with.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:22 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by MichaelAE

I bought it to play with.
I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the mounts... keep us posted!

Old 01-31-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the mounts... keep us posted!
But of course!
Old 02-06-2002, 06:35 PM

The engine mounts and y-pipe are sitting behind me...thanks Cattman. FexEx tells me that my intake will arrive on Friday. This could be a fun weekend if I can get the shop to do the engine mounts Saturday.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:46 PM

The engine mounts and y-pipe are sitting behind me...thanks Cattman. FexEx tells me that my intake will arrive on Friday. This could be a fun weekend if I can get the shop to do the engine mounts Saturday.
I should have my mounts installed by tomorrow if things work out

And I am going to the track on Friday, I went a couple of weeks ago so maybe my 60" will drop and I get less wheel hop????
Old 02-06-2002, 08:02 PM

How much is the lift at costco? I would love to own a lift! Congrats on all your purchases too. Making me even more jealous of that car!!
Old 02-06-2002, 08:40 PM
a33

i also have the mounts but i havent installed them yet
i am waitin til after winter
Old 02-07-2002, 06:33 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Oooooooo..... mounts. Happy modding!
Old 02-07-2002, 08:14 AM

What do mounts do for the car? Someone please explain.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by jkratzer
What do mounts do for the car? Someone please explain.
From Cattman's Web Site:

Maximas, like most FWD drive cars, are hard to launch hard without time-wasting wheel hop, and these heavy duty front and rear motor mounts for the 5-speed 1995-2001 Maxima are the only solution. Coupled with two heavy duty clutch options from Jim Wolf and the Quaife ATB differential, the HD Motor Mounts are part of the total traction solution offered only by Cattman Performance. They not only shorten launch times, owners are very enthusiastic about the effect on the overall drivability of the car. Useful in all 5-speed Maximas, they are essential for big-HP supercharged or nitrous-equipped engines.

Based upon all-new CNC fabricated bodies and pins, not rebuilt cores, these mounts utilize Place Racings' exclusive casting formulas and are obviously designed to deliver the lifetime of service that they are warrantied for by Place Racing (an established name in import motor mounts).
Old 02-07-2002, 10:34 AM
nc00max

I'd like to know how the engine mounts work out for ya too, because I'm looking at putting them in here after I get back from Europe in April, along with maybe the HSTC. Also, if you like the shop, let me know because I move out to Seattle here in May, and it'd be nice to not go in completely blind. As far as the Y-pipe goes, do it yourself! The hardest part is getting the stock one off, but with only 7500 miles you ought to be ok. Besides, it feels nice to know that you did all your mods yourself, or at least as many as you could.

Old 02-07-2002, 04:04 PM

Anybody who has done the engine mounts...how much did you pay to have them installed? How long did it take? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:18 PM

When do you think you will have the E. mounts on?????? I want to hear all about them. I really want them but im consirned they will make that humming noise so many do. Let me know all about it.

By the way I have the gen 2's so If you have q's feel free to email me i'd be glad to tell ya about them.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
When do you think you will have the E. mounts on?????? I want to hear all about them. I really want them but im consirned they will make that humming noise so many do. Let me know all about it.

By the way I have the gen 2's so If you have q's feel free to email me i'd be glad to tell ya about them.
Tuesday morning @ 8:30am...going in to have them installed. I will post once I have had a chance to tool around with them for a few hours.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:01 PM

Tuesday morning @ 8:30am...going in to have them installed. I will post once I have had a chance to tool around with them for a few hours.
Kewl post it on this post so i don't miss it
Old 02-08-2002, 12:07 PM

Ok, I know I should check out the website first, but how much did you guys pay for the mounts?

Trevor
Old 02-08-2002, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Ok, I know I should check out the website first, but how much did you guys pay for the mounts?

Trevor
Your right, You should check out the website
Old 02-08-2002, 12:11 PM

Trevor
$245

The shop estimated 2 hours of labor to install (and that's a high estimate).
Old 02-08-2002, 12:23 PM

Are there 4 mounts to the Max?

$245

The shop estimated 2 hours of labor to install (and that's a high estimate).
Old 02-08-2002, 12:26 PM

Are there 4 mounts to the Max?
Two...front and back.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

I had them installed last night. Just by starting up the car you can tell a difference, its a bit shaky at idle but once you start driving you can't tell much difference. I tried a few runs on the street and I was still able to get a 2-3rd gear chirp, I was thinking it would eliminate that. I am going to the track in a few hours and hopefully I can get more info to share, such as 60" differences from 2 weeks ago, and wheel hop at track.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX
I had them installed last night. Just by starting up the car you can tell a difference, its a bit shaky at idle but once you start driving you can't tell much difference.
Could you explain what you mean by "shaky at idle?"
Old 02-08-2002, 02:06 PM

I had them installed last night. Just by starting up the car you can tell a difference, its a bit shaky at idle but once you start driving you can't tell much difference. I tried a few runs on the street and I was still able to get a 2-3rd gear chirp, I was thinking it would eliminate that. I am going to the track in a few hours and hopefully I can get more info to share, such as 60" differences from 2 weeks ago, and wheel hop at track.
Any humming noise from them in or out of the car? Or any noise at all? Just from feel what do you think, yes or no?
Old 02-08-2002, 02:15 PM

At idle you can feel the steering wheel shake a bit not smooth like before.

I have not heard the humming noise but tonight at the track I will listen for it.

As for an over all view, it may take a bit more time to get used to but if you like your car without noise, very smooth at start up, kinda almost feels like its not on, then you may think twice about this mod.

I will post more tomorrow after the track.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:34 PM

At idle you can feel the steering wheel shake a bit not smooth like before.

I have not heard the humming noise but tonight at the track I will listen for it.

As for an over all view, it may take a bit more time to get used to but if you like your car without noise, very smooth at start up, kinda almost feels like its not on, then you may think twice about this mod.

I will post more tomorrow after the track.
I will let you guys know if I get the same behvior out of a non SC'd Maxima. I imagine that there is more vibration going on in The New Climax's engine bay than will be in mine and the stiffened mounts may be more noticeable as a result...or I could be full of $hit.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:22 PM

Very true Mike you could get different results considering I have a SC. Let us know on the details mike. Thanks