5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help resolving an issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 PM

Need help resolving an issue.

I'm not usually asking for help on forums because I'm the one giving it, but I do need your expertise. I believe my inner tie rods have a slight amount of play, ive checked and I feel something. not sure what exactly.

When I drive down the road and encounter ANY irregularities my wheel pulls left or right accordingly. I would just chalk it up to ****ty designed tires, but it feels like more then that to me. To make matters worse I think I have a couple of bad tires. One tire in the back has a constant pull to the left or right ( depending on which side to put it on), and god forbid it go on the front because the toque steer is outrageous.

I want my car to drive right. So I just did a bunch of work to my car to make it correct. https://maxima.org/forums/new-member...-roll-now.html
It's been aligned everything is in spec. It feels like my tires are grabbing at everything in the road with no sense of on center UNLESS the pavement is very good. When the pavement is very good the fidgety problem goes away.

What do you think it could be?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 AM

If you feel play with it jacked up, I'd replace tie rod. Could maybe be ball joint, but seems you might hear a clunking with that if it were bad enough.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 AM

Yea check for play. How are the boots as well? I'm assuming from your other thread if the car needed the axle seals and what not, wouldn't be a bad idea to get the tie rods replaced(inner and outter ) then re-aligned.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM

New tires can do wonders. Old ones are obviously bad so replace them.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM

I'd sort out the tires first. I've seen a lot of issues caused by bad tires in my time as a car salesman and then as a mechanic. Even if the tires didn't look horrible. A lot of alignment shops wont even do an alignment if the tires are bad.

Suspension issues are very difficult to diagnose through a description on a forum. Someone who knows what they're doing has to get under there and get their hands on it.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM

This car has inner AND outer tie rod ends, so be sure to check them both. Since we are dealing with a 15 year old car, mileage unknown, the entire suspension needs to be inspected, items such as the strut bearings and since you mentioned torque steer, check the control arm bushings, especially the right side. Check the wheel bearings while you are at it.