5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Cooling issues

What's up Org?! I know there are more than a couple cooling/AC threads going on right now, but wanted to shoot out what's been going on with my whip.

Disclaimer: The passenger side radiator fan is rotating slower than the driver side. (maybe half-speed)

Given that I know that one fan is operating below spec, here's my question:

Would that be a big enough issue for the operating temp to inch up?

The op temp needle only creeps up on the hottest days (90+ degrees) and when the AC is on. If I leave the AC off, operating temp remains just below midpoint. But when the AC is on, and it starts to inch up, I turn off, roll the windows down, blow hot air out of the vents and sweat my *** off. Then the temp goes down to normal.

Here is what I find odd
After driving for about 30 mins whether with AC on or not, the outside temp reading increases by about 3-8 degrees.
1. This will happen on local or highway roads.
2. Any ideas why that would do that? Would the slow fan speed cause that kind of symptom as well?

I plan on either replacing the whole assembly or one motor. We'll see what my wallet says tonight when ordering.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:08 PM

Yes, replace the entire fan assembly. One fan running inefficiently is definitely enough to obtain the increase in operating temperature that you see. I was told that it's best to replace the entire assembly as it's the most cost / time effective. Rock Auto has the assembly from various manufacturers running anywhere between $75-$100.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced mine, got lucky on a radiator and fan combo. Mine was reaching heating temps excessively quickly due to the e-fan going out, would replace the fan and that should fix the issue.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 PM

My passenger fan is completely dead, and my temps rise ever so slightly over the 3rd tick on the gauge. I just bought the new motor and will swap it in sometime in the upcoming week. I would not buy an entire fan assembly, just replace the motor.

And regarding the temp increase, is your car parked in a garage? If so, then your garage is colder than outside, and therefore the outside temp will increase a couple of degrees when you get on the road.

Last edited by SubwayVQ; 07-12-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:54 PM

This is a common issue on these cars and others as well.

Replace the fan motor. No point replacing the assembly unless your wallet is really bulging. Once the assembly is out, replacing the motor is easy. You'll have to disconnect the upper radiator hose. You'll lose a little coolant but not enough to worry about. Don't bother trying to squeeze the assembly past the hose. It wont go.

If it still has issues after that I'd be surprised but it can be figured out from there. No point is doing more diagnostic work with such an obvious issue. The fans are very important this time of year and it needs to be repaired anyway to avoid more serious problems with the AC. Once it dies your AC will stop working and start overheating itself.

The AC condenser gets very hot and sits right by the radiator. The extra heat and loss of airflow is enough to overheat the car. It will kill the AC over time too.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
This is a common issue on these cars and others as well.

Replace the fan motor. No point replacing the assembly unless your wallet is really bulging. Once the assembly is out, replacing the motor is easy. You'll have to disconnect the upper radiator hose. You'll lose a little coolant but not enough to worry about. Don't bother trying to squeeze the assembly past the hose. It wont go.

If it still has issues after that I'd be surprised but it can be figured out from there. No point is doing more diagnostic work with such an obvious issue. The fans are very important this time of year and it needs to be repaired anyway to avoid more serious problems with the AC. Once it dies your AC will stop working and start overheating itself.

The AC condenser gets very hot and sits right by the radiator. The extra heat and loss of airflow is enough to overheat the car. It will kill the AC over time too.
Might as well replace the assembly. It's cheaper than two motors and both WILL fail. The other usually isn't far behind when one goes (I have two assemblies sitting here with both motors toasted). I looked earlier today and found a decent quality one for 67 shipped.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:22 AM

yes its not hard to replace the fan motors themselves. Ive dont it a few times on my car and it takes less than an hour vs spending money on an entire fan assembly.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Might as well replace the assembly. It's cheaper than two motors and both WILL fail. The other usually isn't far behind when one goes (I have two assemblies sitting here with both motors toasted). I looked earlier today and found a decent quality one for 67 shipped.
If that's the case then it makes sense. I haven't priced them in a while.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
My passenger fan is completely dead, and my temps rise ever so slightly over the 3rd tick on the gauge. I just bought the new motor and will swap it in sometime in the upcoming week. I would not buy an entire fan assembly, just replace the motor.

And regarding the temp increase, is your car parked in a garage? If so, then your garage is colder than outside, and therefore the outside temp will increase a couple of degrees when you get on the road.
Hmm, interesting... i dont really park it in a garage. In an open lot at home and work so the car is always hot in the summer. I bought the motor from Rock Auto and do that swap in due time.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Coool.. what site did you see that price? May consider that vs the $37+ shipping from Rock Auto for just the motor.