5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Ksport Kontrol coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:03 AM

New Ksport Kontrol coilovers.

Just got my new coilovers delivered yesterday.

Got them from http://raceconsultingagency.com/kspo.../i-511081.aspx

These are great people to deal with. I was very impressed. They have a shop that installs them too so they can answer specific questions rather than reading from a script. They answered all my questions and even told me some things I hadn't thought of. They had them in stock and shipped them the same day I paid.

I haven't installed them yet but the quality seems top notch. These can be lowered and raised independent of the spring load. Older designs lower the car by adjusting the spring compression which changes the performance. With these, you set the spring tension where you want it then have a separate adjustment for the height.

I'll be installing them sometime in the next few days. I'll take some pics along the way and when they're in. It's not going to be slammed.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:25 PM

Those look sweet, and cheaper than the H&R/Illumina combo I just picked up. To be honest I didn't consider coilovers because I didn't think I needed them and thought they'd cost more.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by freezer
Those look sweet, and cheaper than the H&R/Illumina combo I just picked up. To be honest I didn't consider coilovers because I didn't think I needed them and thought they'd cost more.
I've been running tokiko Illumina and Eibach springs for a long time. They're worn out now but I was never really happy with them.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 PM

those coils look legit! Badass
Old 07-16-2017, 12:07 AM

Nice!
A bit pricey for my budget but I guess you get what you pay for.
How is the ride?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Nice!
A bit pricey for my budget but I guess you get what you pay for.
How is the ride?
I haven't done the install yet. I'll probably get to it early in the week. I'll update as I go.

I've had the Eibach/Illumina kit in for around 10 years and they're pretty much done. It's gotten bouncy and the body roll is really bad so something had to be done.

It was a little more than I planned but It'll be worth it in the long run.
The price of a kit like this has really dropped (pun intended) over the last few years. I think this is the best "bang for the buck" out there.

I almost bought the Tein Street Advance kit for around $620 but it's not readily available and would have to come from Japan. It's also an outdated design with no independent height adjustment or camber adjustment. It also uses the stock upper mounts which I would have to reuse or buy.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I haven't done the install yet. I'll probably get to it early in the week. I'll update as I go.

I've had the Eibach/Illumina kit in for around 10 years and they're pretty much done. It's gotten bouncy and the body roll is really bad so something had to be done.

It was a little more than I planned but It'll be worth it in the long run.
The price of a kit like this has really dropped (pun intended) over the last few years. I think this is the best "bang for the buck" out there.

I almost bought the Tein Street Advance kit for around $620 but it's not readily available and would have to come from Japan. It's also an outdated design with no independent height adjustment or camber adjustment. It also uses the stock upper mounts which I would have to reuse or buy.
whats the price ??? u didn't answer that ??? =)

also the key in the comfort from TEIN's SA or SS for that matter is that they did use the stock strut mounts (~$40 new), vs these are pillow ball mounts, which can be seen harsher. just saying ! but i am sure OP knew what he was getting =)

$620 sounds really good for TEIN SA as well !! when i was looking at TEINS SS they were $950 plus and Ksports were always the lowest price range of coil overs around $800. (just puttin ball parks out there)

You are in florida so u are fine, but for DD in snow people be aware COILOVERs do not like cold weather too much and to anyone regretting not doing coilovers in the NorthEast or snowbelt don't regret it too much, typ lowering springs and upgraded shocks for lowering springs will typically last longer in cold climates.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
whats the price ??? u didn't answer that ??? =)

also the key in the comfort from TEIN's SA or SS for that matter is that they did use the stock strut mounts (~$40 new), vs these are pillow ball mounts, which can be seen harsher. just saying ! but i am sure OP knew what he was getting =)

$620 sounds really good for TEIN SA as well !! when i was looking at TEINS SS they were $950 plus and Ksports were always the lowest price range of coil overs around $800. (just puttin ball parks out there)

You are in florida so u are fine, but for DD in snow people be aware COILOVERs do not like cold weather too much and to anyone regretting not doing coilovers in the NorthEast or snowbelt don't regret it too much, typ lowering springs and upgraded shocks for lowering springs will typically last longer in cold climates.
$780 shipped. It's in the link to where I bought them.

I don't think there will be a big difference in comfort. Having the extra adjustability should make up for the mounts.

The Teins and Ksports seem to have swapped spots over the years. They've really updated the Ksports.
Now the Teins retail for $760 while the Ksports retail for $1000
Not having to buy new mounts pretty much brought them to the same total price. Plus the Ksports come with camber plates.

I originally tried to order the Teins but I think they may no longer be available for our cars. They're no longer listing them for our cars on their website and the shop said they were trying to contact Tein in Japan to see if they would make a set. That's what got me looking at the Ksports. After comparing them I just canceled the order and had them send these instead. I'm glad I did after seeing these.

Yeah, Florida is great for cars. These should last a long time here.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:22 AM

camber plates... are quite a perk too so much maybe a wash over the mounts vs pillowballs ! that was a big con (maybe only) with TIEN SS and SA.

very interesting to see price catergories swap !
Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Finally got around to installing them.

Been playing with the ride height before getting it aligned. I can make the other adjustments without affecting the alignment once I've settled on a height.

My street and driveway are on a hill and I can't get far enough away for a good pic in my garage. Once I get it somewhere flat I'll get some pics of the stance. It wont be slammed though.

So far the ride seems good. I haven't laid into it yet but it stays very flat around corners. It doesn't feel nearly as harsh over bumps as the Eibach/Illumina kit I removed. Even when new it was very harsh. Once I settle on the height and get it aligned I'll have a better impression.

Here are a few pics of them installed.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Are you selling your old lowering setup? If so, PM me a price.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:26 AM

Nice man, cant wait to see how they would sit. Im on BC and love them. Also what did your car sit like on the Eibach/Illumina kit? Any pics?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 AM

damn...those are nice...congrats! where did you purchase the rotors.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 AM

What is the suggested service life? My objection to coilovers has always been they need serviced every 20k or so and i put way too many miles on for that to be reasonable
Old 07-22-2017, 04:36 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
What is the suggested service life? My objection to coilovers has always been they need serviced every 20k or so and i put way too many miles on for that to be reasonable
Don't hit pot holes and you're fine (assuming they're good quality).
Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 AM

Thanks guys!

The brakes are Powerstop rotors and pads from Rockauto.com
Hopefully these wont warp like the others I've had. If they do I'll be doing the 6th gen setup.

I'm not sure about the service life but I expect to get some good use out of them. Potholes, snow and corrosion are bad for coilovers. The roads around here are nice and the car never sees winter conditions. You can see how rust free it is in some of the pics.

I'll look for some pics of it on the Eibochs. I have them somewhere.
I still haven't gotten pics. It's been raining a lot and I can't take good stance pics on my driveway or street.

My initial impression of these is pretty good. I still have to dial them in some more but I can tell the handling is much improved. I'll give a better description once I've got it all sorted out.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
Nice man, cant wait to see how they would sit. Im on BC and love them. Also what did your car sit like on the Eibach/Illumina kit? Any pics?
Here it is on the Eibach/ Illumina setup. It wasn't adjustable so it sits how it sits. The rear still sat lower. These were taken in early 09 after a few years on them.

I have it sitting about the same now. Maybe a hair lower in the front and the rear is about 1/4 inch higher than the front. I've been playing with the height for the last few days. Not too interested in slamming it. I'm looking for a good handling daily driver.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Wow that is a super nice ride

After the work i am doing wish i got a more southern car . Next car is coming from a area like that
Old 07-22-2017, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
Wow that is a super nice ride

After the work i am doing wish i got a more southern car . Next car is coming from a area like that
Thanks. Those pics are from 09 so it's picked up a few small scuffs along the way. Still not too bad though. Florida is great for cars. No rust anywhere, even on the bolt heads underneath. Hell, my 2000 still has the stock exhaust and it's all silver with perfect nuts and bolts. It's definitely worth the shipping to get one from here.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM

Nice man, cant wait to see pics with the coilovers, and yes i envy rust free southern areas lol
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback in 6-8 months from now. I recently replaced my illuminas with 180k miles on them with Tokico blues (I cheaped out...) and I hate the blues. My tired old illuminas were much more stable feeling - I just replaced them because of how long they had been on the car.

I was afraid to go coilovers due to reliability, but I might in the future...
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
I'd be interested in hearing your feedback in 6-8 months from now. I recently replaced my illuminas with 180k miles on them with Tokico blues (I cheaped out...) and I hate the blues. My tired old illuminas were much more stable feeling - I just replaced them because of how long they had been on the car.

I was afraid to go coilovers due to reliability, but I might in the future...
i did a direct replacement from Illuminas to Illuminas on my fronts after 100k , back are still first batch of Illuminas 140k.

i am in same boat, interested to see how they hold up. u dont have it too bad in LA, but up here in NE , coilovers do not last long w colder temps.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:35 AM

Derrick, this is a lil off topic, was doing some research regarding idle relearn and came across your thread, did you ever fix that issue?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
Derrick, this is a lil off topic, was doing some research regarding idle relearn and came across your thread, did you ever fix that issue?
No. Not yet. I put it on the back burner for a while since the symptoms are minor. I'm hoping to get back on it soon with some data logging and see if I can figure out he power loss. Hopefully fixing that will let it relearn again.

I did see your other thread but don't have much to offer that's not already out there. Everything has to be right with the car for it to work.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 PM

No. Not yet. I put it on the back burner for a while since the symptoms are minor. I'm hoping to get back on it soon with some data logging and see if I can figure out he power loss. Hopefully fixing that will let it relearn again.

I did see your other thread but don't have much to offer that's not already out there. Everything has to be right with the car for it to work.
Im just gonna head to the dealer and get it over with, worth a try
Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 AM

Very nice! I just put my K-Sports in last week. They were lightly used, which made it a nightmare to get them adjusted. I set them to be firm, and they handle tough but provide a great ride!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Got Retrofit?

These actually look really nice!

No brackets for ABS or brake lines?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
These actually look really nice!

No brackets for ABS or brake lines?
They have them. They attach to the strut but I hadn't added them yet when I took the pic. They're kind of universal but they work well. I'll snap a pic sometime soon.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
Very nice! I just put my K-Sports in last week. They were lightly used, which made it a nightmare to get them adjusted. I set them to be firm, and they handle tough but provide a great ride!
Nice. I still had to play with them too.

Once they're installed:
Set the preload to just snug.
Set the height where you want it.
Set the preload again to make sure it's still snug.
Adjusting the height will change the preload.

You can measure the distance between the two lock rings to get the height the same on both sides. I marked the upper lock rings so I could count turns when adjusting the height. That way I could make the same changes to each side. It was a lot of jacking, removing the wheels, mounting the wheels, checking and repeating. Luckily I have air tools and can buzz the wheels on and off easily.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 AM
Got Retrofit?

They have them. They attach to the strut but I hadn't added them yet when I took the pic. They're kind of universal but they work well. I'll snap a pic sometime soon.
Ah okay, just was worried. I ran my old KSports without the brackets for a bit and rubbed through the brake lines! Luckily it was discovered in the driveway.