5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Extreme rear wheel tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Extreme rear wheel tire wear

Hello, I have a 2002 Nissan maxima. Been having lots a trouble with rear tire wear. I have bought at least 2 brand new sets of rear tires since owning the car. Its the inner tire that is wearing. The middle and outside seem to be fine. After 2,000 to 3,000 miles, the inner tires are extremely worn and need replacing again. I have been buying a quality brand tire, balanced properly, and even put on a brand new set of shocks. I took it for an alignment but the shop said the rear axle is non adjustable. I am stumped as to what is causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM

the alignment should of told you everything. did he not give you a print out or he just told you the rears where out of spec and are non adjustable?

Something is super bent back there or even the body itself you have to really look at it.
look like the whole rear is pretty simple to replace if it's just that.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM

simple in concept terms, but thats a lot of work taking out the rear axle of car...

nice picture, i see what you did and that's a lot of work !
Old 11-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the response. The shop told me they only aligned the front because the rear is non adjustable. I don't remember getting a printout of the results. So if I take it back to the shop and the toe or camber is not in spec, does that mean the only possible problem is a bent rear axle or are there a other components that could be causing this?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Talk to collision shops that do frame work. They can bend things back to where they belong.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shark56
Thanks for the response. The shop told me they only aligned the front because the rear is non adjustable. I don't remember getting a printout of the results. So if I take it back to the shop and the toe or camber is not in spec, does that mean the only possible problem is a bent rear axle or are there a other components that could be causing this?
i cant think of many other reasons based on everything you already did,
i get weird tire wear in the center treads only but its from too large tires and high psi.

i don't think bent wheels mess with irregular tread wear much either.... so with everything you did and the extreme wear in 3000 miles... it seems the only probable thing is what we already said, rear beam not strait enough to specs, i would definitely... definitely and definitely get a print out of your rear alignment (i know its non adjustable) but this would be proof on paper your beam is bent , before you commit more to this.

if you go this far to bend the beam... you may want to do two birds and one stone and bend it in a way that adds handling performance.... just saying.. just search around here bent beam.

or replace....

random question are these stock wheelsand or average sized wheels?? (just checking) if they are some crazy size... ... that may be something...