5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Humming noise at speed and only left hand turns

Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Humming noise at speed and only left hand turns

Hello fellow maxima owners and fans, I just bought a great condition 2000 maxima 5 speed. I am an experience mechanic and I have a Humming noise that increases with speed but also only in left hand turns coming from the front right.
When I got the car it had front axles both left and right and I figured the wheel bearing was bad on the right front. Replaced both axles and right front wheel bearing last night. Noise is still there. Car has new tires all around so I know it's not a scalloped or flat spot bad tire.
I thought maybe bad diff but that would make noise both ways when turning both ways.
Question. Has anyone had this issue?
Car drives awesome other than this but this noise isn't exactly real loud and wasn't that noticeable to me at first.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bump
Old 11-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Symptoms scream wheel bearings. I'd disassemble and recheck the work. I've received bad bearings from Rock Auto before, which brand did you use? OEM or Timkin? I've even received some Timkin bearings that went bad shortly after installation.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sanford7575
Symptoms scream wheel bearings. I'd disassemble and recheck the work. I've received bad bearings from Rock Auto before, which brand did you use? OEM or Timkin? I've even received some Timkin bearings that went bad shortly after installation.
I went over the car again today and it's the left front wheel bearing NOT the right one which I replaced. Had some extra hands today after work and I ran the car in the air with my coworker running the doctor ear things on the knuckles and it' the left bearing. I planed on replacing it anyways. Gonna get control arms and ball joints while I'm at it.

Search this Thread