5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fan motors different

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Fan motors different

I thought I was reading on here that the fan motors on the 5th gen were interchangable.

I swapped them around after the W/P the fans are cutting off then on intermittenly.
I began to realize that the fans are different sizes and the fan motors are different part Numbers.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 AM

Very insightful detail, and good to know. Thanks!!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
I thought I was reading on here that the fan motors on the 5th gen were interchangable.

I swapped them around after the W/P the fans are cutting off then on intermittenly.
I began to realize that the fans are different sizes and the fan motors are different part Numbers.
I thought they were the same because I've swapped mine out a few times and even put a fan motor in from a 6 gen max on the passenger side. They both turn on at the same time ect.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 PM

Yes, fans are different. Different part numbers as well
Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=03VQMAX;9167651]Yes, fans are different. Different part numbers as well[/QUOTE
but what were your fans doing to make you figure this out
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM

It was strange I had the car running AC on recirculation on and hood up. Car heated up both fans would come on then cut off a few seconds later, then come on again then cut off
The relay would click and I really had a sense something wasnt right.
What I found is that the fans are the same in size but they only fit with each motor post. So I think each fan is assigned to each motor.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM

It was strange I had the car running AC on recirculation on and hood up. Car heated up both fans would come on then cut off a few seconds later, then come on again then cut off
What I found is that the fans are the same in size but they only fit with each motor post. So I think each fan is assigned to each motor.

​​​​​Hmm idk now I do Kno that you can't put a pass fan motor in the driver side area if I'm not mistaken. Yes so I believe you are correct. I've had issues where both fans would not spin at the same speed.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Not sure what nissan is doing that they list different motors for left and right. In the replacement market, there is only one fan motor that fits both left and right. Maybe because there is a heat shield attached to the passenger side motor, nissan doesn't put the threaded screw holes in the left one.

Something is not right - when you have the a/c on, the fans should run as soon as you press the a/c button and never stop until you turn the a/c off. This has nothing to do with engine coolant temperature. It is a requirement for the a/c system, the compressed refrigerant (R134A) that goes through the condenser coil needs to be cooled.

The car is acting like the a/c is not on. When the a/c is not on, the fans will run and stop, run and stop when the car sits idling.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Not sure what nissan is doing that they list different motors for left and right. In the replacement market, there is only one fan motor that fits both left and right. Maybe because there is a heat shield attached to the passenger side motor, nissan doesn't put the threaded screw holes in the left one.

Something is not right - when you have the a/c on, the fans should run as soon as you press the a/c button and never stop until you turn the a/c off. This has nothing to do with engine coolant temperature. It is a requirement for the a/c system, the compressed refrigerant (R134A) that goes through the condenser coil needs to be cooled.

The car is acting like the a/c is not on. When the a/c is not on, the fans will run and stop, run and stop when the car sits idling.
I pulled the shrpud earlier today then swapped them back around and now all is fine! I put everything back together then took a ride. Im not hearing any more clicking and the passenger fan is on always since Im running the AC.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:05 PM

The two fans work as one meaning that both fans run whenever the fan should be running. If only one fan runs, you have a problem.

With the age of these cars, it is a good possibility that the fan motor has worn out the brushes inside it. Check the fuses, each fan motor has its own fuse. In the fuse block by the battery, RAD FAN 1 fuse is for the driver side, RAD FAN 2 is for the passenger side.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:06 AM

Well Dennis Mik you really know these cars well!

I saw the low speed for both runs through one relay so yeah they would have to both kick on at once so most likey the low speed is bad.
As the thing heats up both fans come on and spin on high.
I think your right and i need to check both high/low circuit function then motor function.
They suggest a 150ohm resister in the ECTS connector then turn on the motor and both fans should run on low.
I may need a new fan motor

​Thanks to all for the input
Old 01-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Im seeing the Genuine motor at Parts Geek. Looks like the best bargain.
May go with that for now.
Cheers
Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 PM

They suggest a 150ohm resister in the ECTS connector then turn on the motor and both fans should run on low.
Im seeing the Genuine motor at Parts Geek. Looks like the best bargain.
May go with that for now.
Cheers
A little late for this tidbit of info since you are ordering a replacement motor, but the 150 ohm resistor thing seems like a pita to me.

You really need 2 different resistors, one that says the coolant temp is in the 203 to 211º range to check low speed operation and another that says above 212º to check high speed operation.

What I don't like is that resistors are small and easy to lose. If you are going to do the job only once and toss them, who cares about losing them.

What is easier is to just unplug the fan and jumper 12 volts to the fan. And you don't need to turn the car on, either.

This is the view of the fan motor connector looking at the contacts, NOT the wire harness connector.
Code:
   ╔═╗
╔══╩╦╩══╗     pin 1 = hi speed +
║ 1 ║ 2 ║     pin 2 = lo speed +
╠═══╬═══╣     pin 3 = lo speed grnd
║ 3 ║ 4 ║     pin 4 = hi speed grnd
╚═══╩═══╝
Old 01-31-2018, 01:25 PM

I removed the connector from the shroud and unplugged it.
The end of the lead coming off from the motor has four pins looking at it with side that mounts it to the shroud down
I grounded the bottom pins both to the (-) cable on battery.
I then ran a red lead from the (+) battery cable to each top pin one at a time.
​one motor hadnt responded from the power to the top right pin.
That must be low speed.
Makes sense since when the AC is on only one fan spins.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 PM

Yeah I thought i was going crazy because i thought both fan motors were the same, as ive replaced them over the years, and tried to figure out how they run. But both fans are sopposed to run at the same time and same speed reguardless if a/c is on or not. low speed both should run/ high speed both should run.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 PM

Yeah if you never replaced these what confused me is that they fail intermittently.
One day the one low speed spins then another day its just still.
If I touch the the fan and give some help it catches then begins spinning.
So the driver's side low was toast and the passenger is still working intermittently.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM

The brushes in the motor wear out. When I took one of my bad fan motors apart, the 4 brushes were all different lengths. The shortest one was about a quarter of an inch long and the longest wasn't much better. Based on the size of the brush holders, the brushes are probably close to an inch long. Add the fact that the commutator was badly worn, the brush was not able to make good contact. In my case, I also had one brush that was hung up in the holder, so that brush was not making a good connection either.
Attached Thumbnails Fan motors different-00max-fan-motor-worn-brushes.jpg   Fan motors different-00max-fan-motor-worn-communtator.jpg   Fan motors different-00max-fan-motor-rear-cover-brushes.jpg  
Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 PM

When I received the OE motor the box says made in Japan. I removed the old motor and im seeing Indonesia. Is it possible this is an aftermarket motor?
Nissan fan motor?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Not sure what nissan is doing that they list different motors for left and right. In the replacement market, there is only one fan motor that fits both left and right. Maybe because there is a heat shield attached to the passenger side motor
No the electrical wiring is different. The drivers side motor is different.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:19 AM

When I received the OE motor the box says made in Japan. I removed the old motor and im seeing Indonesia. Is it possible this is an aftermarket motor?
Nissan fan motor?
I believe you're looking at the bearing which is probably sourced from Indonesia. Whoever makes the fan doesn't make the actual bearings.

Both my cars have the same plug for both sides. I seem to remember one side having the wiring exit the fan in a different direction so the harness flows nicely but the fans still swap. That may be a different car but I do know they swap.

Maybe someone hacked the car to get the wrong part to fit in the past. On my van, I put a salvage yard starter on it. The plug was different but luckily I always cut the harness and take both sides of the plug. I simply soldered in the new harness plug and went with it.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:16 PM

What makes you say that? Is it because the wires coming out of the motor are different colors? That doesn't mean anything except that maybe the motor was made by a different manufacturer. The pin connections are still the same.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Father of the 00 VI

i ordered a 2003 fan shroud with motors used ,thought they were the same as the 01. they arent.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:50 PM

So what did you do set up a RMA? Man that mustve sucked!

Why when i swapped them the fans both come on
Then cut off ect?
After changin them back around they just acted normal burned out.

The left side (drivers side) is part # 21487-1L000
Right side is different part number #21487-0Z000
just assume theyre different

Last edited by maximatech12; 03-03-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 AM

So what did you do set up a RMA? Man that mustve sucked!

Why when i swapped them the fans both come on
Then cut off ect?
After changin them back around they just acted normal burned out.

The left side (drivers side) is part # 21487-1L000
Right side is different part number #21487-0Z000
just assume theyre different
That doesn't make any sense. The guts of both fans are the same.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:37 AM

Got ya I was totally confused because Car Id has the OE motor listed as for the "left side" as does Parts Geek.
This came to me with part # 21487-1L000 on the box. I installed it and it functions as it should.
I was afraid to order this part # for the right because both sites list it as for "Left side".

An additional sticker says "quantity 2" so I guess that means the car takes 2 of them?

Last edited by maximatech12; 03-05-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:05 PM

As I said earlier, I don't know what the difference between the left and right sides are. Electrically, they are the same and use the same wire harness connector, utilizing the same pinout. I suspect it may have something to do with the heat shield that mounts on the right side fan.

The 4th gen radiator fan is the same as the 5th gen fan, uses the same wire harness connector, but the wires are pinned out differently, so the fan would not function correctly.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:03 PM

Best thing to do IMO is just order the entire fan and shroud assy....I got surprised with the difference between the fans and the motors...If not keep some extra fans on hand...The shaft lenghts vary.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=maxinout93;9167652]
Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
Yes, fans are different. Different part numbers as well[/QUOTE
but what were your fans doing to make you figure this out
It was also before swapping the motors around after taking the shroud out I had small bubbles in the expansion tank and also the temp went up to 214ºF before the fans kicked on. I had no clue that it was the the fan motors. They would come on so I just figured they were fine.
I actually thought it was a thermostat issue and replaced that until realizing the fans were half bad.
Accidentally figured it out after switching them around and having issues