5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:07 AM

water pump?

Left the house in the 2000 max gle yesterday. Drove it about 15 mins when it stalled at a stop sign. I turned off the radio and everything and fired it back up. At the next stop sign it stalled again. It fired right back up and I noticed when I put it in gear it died. So I left in in neutral (automatic) and bumped it in drive when I drove off. At the next stop sign it dies and I go to start it and it's cranking but not starting. I kept the key turned until it started. It started cranking faster until finally I heard some sign of life and it fired up. I revved it a little and drove off again. I thought the fuel pump was going out. I made it a mile down the road and it started bucking like it wasn't getting fuel. I made it the last few hundred feet bucking through a parking lot to my friends car. Opened the hood and it was hot. Poured a little water back by the firewall because this thing leaks oil and I didn't want it to catch fire since it was smoking. I noticed when a little drop of water hit the engine that it was way too hot. After it cooled down for an hour I started looking as best as I could at night. The rad was empty so I put two gallons in it and I was thinking shouldn't this only take one gallon. And it sounded like water going down a drain by the engine. I pulled the dip stick out and the oil level was really high. She fired right up and drove home the mile or two no problem at all. So is it the water pump? Maybe someone had this happen. It's got 309k miles.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM

The water pump is driven by the timing chain and over time, the seals can go bad, but there is a drain it drains from if it is leaking. That drain is on the passenger side. However, that’s about all that happens, the only way I can think that the coolant would get into the timing cover is if that drain is clogged and the pressure blew out the oil sealing o-ring.

Sounds like a blown head gasket leaking coolant into the oil. I would stop driving it immediately until you get it diagnosed/fixed. If it was in danger of overheating, you should have seen your temp gauge rise.

You may be right with the fuel pump being bad since it dies coming to a stop, but it also could be a bad MAF sensor. Try cleaning it or replacing with a known good one and see if it helps.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
.... Opened the hood and it was hot. Poured a little water back by the firewall because this thing leaks oil and I didn't want it to catch fire since it was smoking ...... The rad was empty so I put two gallons in it and I was thinking shouldn't this only take one gallon. And it sounded like water going down a drain by the engine. I pulled the dip stick out and the oil level was really high. She fired right up and drove home the mile or two no problem at all. So is it the water pump? .
If you had to put two gallons of coolant in, then the water pump is one of your lesser problems.
The real issue is that your coolant is leaking. Is there a white residue/foam on the oil stick?? Even better, have a look inside the valve cover.
In either case, white foam in the coolant indicates water/coolant in the oil, and a quite likely, head gasket damage.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 PM

Hows your AC?
If your fan motors low speed cut out it could cause you to run hot. If your AC is out on you its hard to determine this because both fan motors come on low speed at 203F. If the both low speed function is burned out(which is happened to me) the fans will come on at 214F which could cause you to think maybe you got a thermostat issue.
Also if you get this hot it could damage the pump seal? Idk
Anyway its important to hook up a scan tool at pull a temp reading.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:44 PM

Water pump went bad. It's pissing out the drain and the bearings went bad on the pump. I have installed the new pump but I ran into a problem. When I used the tensioner bolts to walk the old pump out, they messed up the starting threads so now the top and bottom bolt are not tightening. I believe it's stripped. I read on here someone got longer bolts and was able to catch whatever threads were left since the factory bolts don't go in as far. Guess I'll run to the store and see what I can do. I've done a water pump before with no issues.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM

Or just tap the the hole to bigger threads and then drill the holes on the pump slightly bigger for the new bolts to fit.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM

Sorry bout that! Its not the worse thing that could happen assuming your ok?
Water Pump bolt hole stripped- what to do now?? - Maxima Forums
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/668416-water-pump-bolt-hole-stripped-what-do-now.html
Old 02-23-2018, 03:58 PM

That thread helped. I saw that last night and went to home depot and got m6-20mm bolts. I also got lock washers and regular washers and m7 bolts in different lenghts. I was able to use m6-20 with a lock washer and washer and it worked. I also ran a tap through the hole. Checked it with a tq wrench and it clicked so it's good. I stopped there for the night at midnight. I finished it today and just got back from walmart with cheap oil to flush it out. Unfortunately when I broke down and drove it home I made a milkshake in the oil. Drove home so nice though lol. About to throw some supertech 5w-30 in it and a supertech tiny 6607 filter. I'll do a oil change and see how it looks after I drain it. I plan to do 3 oil changes in the next day with the cheap oil and then switch it a 4th time back to 0w-40.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 AM

Car works. The first oil change looked clean surprisingly. I'm about to change it again. Put about 250 miles on it already. This second change I'll run untill it changes color and then I'll change it again and put the 0w-40 in there. Now I gotta "fix" the lower rad. Cut one off a donor. 310,000 miles and counting. Oh yea, replacing trans next too. Anyone need a new auto trans? I'm going to use my older one as it's easier to sell the "new" trans. It's from a trans rebuild shop and I have it installed in my other car that's parked. I'll install the new one for a grand, parts labor, can even travel to you. A rebuild usually costs double at least.