5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fuel Guage not workin off by over quarter tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel Guage not workin off by over quarter tank

HI I have a 02 maxima I heard having a after market sterio could cause this Wich part of the aftermarket sterio the head unit or power or ground or what I am at a loss with it how do I fix this annoying issue??
Old 04-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by whtrice
HI I have a 02 maxima I heard having a after market sterio could cause this Wich part of the aftermarket sterio the head unit or power or ground or what I am at a loss with it how do I fix this annoying issue??
all I do when I have to take apart my cluster for things is just put it at the proper level by pushing the needle up past the full mark. Or I Waite till the light comes on and adjust it at that point because you know the proper level at that point. If it fills up but then stops at a half tank then you may have to replace the file gage like I did. The fuel gage in fact all the gages can be replaced individually. Just push the needle down till it stops (just lift it past the black tab)then push a little further it it’s to far then push it up. That’s how I have done mine and it has worked for like 6 months. Plus there is a test mode aswell that I use to adjust the needles aswell.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 00’Sexima81

all I do when I have to take apart my cluster for things is just put it at the proper level by pushing the needle up past the full mark. Or I Waite till the light comes on and adjust it at that point because you know the proper level at that point. If it fills up but then stops at a half tank then you may have to replace the file gage like I did. The fuel gage in fact all the gages can be replaced individually. Just push the needle down till it stops (just lift it past the black tab)then push a little further it it’s to far then push it up. That’s how I have done mine and it has worked for like 6 months. Plus there is a test mode aswell that I use to adjust the needles aswell.
I have an 00 and a 03 both have aftermarket stereos installed and i'm not getting that error. It's 1 of 2 things, either A) your fuel sending unit is going bad or B) your instrument cluster is going bad. I had a similar problem with my 03 but it was saying i had a full tank when i drove 300 miles. Turns out my instrument cluster was bad, and NO, you can NOT replace the individual gauges in the instrument cluster. Give me a website where you can buy the individual parts.