Nth TEENth non LSD to LSD 4AT conversion thread? - Maxima Forums

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nth TEENth non LSD to LSD 4AT conversion thread?

Old 07-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #1  

Nth TEENth non LSD to LSD 4AT conversion thread?

i though the lockers had numbers stamped/molded in to the casing to designate their difference form non locker. or so logic would dictate in my mind.

If only i remember what threads all this info was scattered in. is it RE4F04V or an "A" with different markers/numbers? pretty sure you can take an infinity locker and "drop it" in to the 5th gen max 00-01 and or 02-03

I also go to wondering if the TCU or ECU in a non locker would like dealing with a locker trans? i thought all the autos LSD (VLSD) or not have TCS?

i'm sure it's the 1 millionth question on this subject but, it doesn't always come up in designated threads and or old links are broken.
cdoublejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #2  
I'm nutty for Nissans

The VLSD has a larger oil seal on the left side. Very easy to spot. It works on it's own meaning it's not electricity controlled.

TCS might be part of the ABS, not just the TCU. The 99 TCS was only available with ABS and auto trans. I don't have the specs for 00-01 but I'd assume it is the same.
JSutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #3  

i should have stated i'm trying to not get ripped on at the junk yard or ebay. if i'm not mistaken the/a VIN decoder may be able to help tell if it's a locker.

i've curious if the VLSD acts like an LSD when you jack it up and turn the wheels since it needs hydro-static pressure / pressure / friction to kick in.
cdoublejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #4  
I'm nutty for Nissans

You can go by the VIN if the tag is still there. My trans came from a local salvage yard with no VIN tag.

Even if a car came stock with a VLSD, it is possible it was swapped out at some point with a non locking. You really should visually verify. Again the big left seal is easy to spot. Also there is no obstruction when looking through the holes where the drive shafts insert.

You can check function as per the FSM.
JSutter is offline   Reply With Quote