5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bose Radio Head Unit - No Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose Radio Head Unit - No Power

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2001 Maxima GXE which I'm fixing up for my son to take back to college. So far, I've replaced the rear calipers and struts and I've fixed the drivers side window rolling back down, all with the help of the posts from this forum and YouTube. I'm down to my last 2 things I need to fix, which are installing a new radiator and a replacing the Bose Radio which won't power on.

My questions are:

It looks like the radio just died, there's still a tape in the deck and a some CD's in the CD Changer in the trunk. Is this a common problem? What are the chances that this is an electrical problem and not the radio head unit? I found a couple of used radio with the same part number on ebay, but am reluctant to buy it, if it turns out its radio head unit is not the problem?

Anyone have any trouble shooting tips to help me diagnose this? Any way to power up the radio from the battery, without a harness and connector?

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

George Louie

Old 08-09-2018, 04:11 PM

There is a fuse (15 amp) in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side near the battery. The cover has the label "AUDIO" for this fuse. This fuse powers everything in the trunk (woofer, all speakers, CD changer) and it feeds the head unit (but it is not the main power to the head unit).

The main power source for the head unit is in the dashboard fuse panel to the left of the steering column. It is a 10 amp fuse, the one in the top row, the first one on the left end. If you have the label, it is called MIRROR.

The head unit needs to be working as the head unit sends a signal to the items in the trunk to turn them on.

Bose head units are luck to get 10 years before self destructing. I replaced my share of them, putting in used units and getting less and less life from them. If the head unit has died, don't waste your time with a used one.

For troubleshooting the head unit, it is pretty simple. Basically, if the head unit is getting power, the display panel should light up and you should be able to see the display change as you press buttons. One thing I can't remember, though, is if the head unit has a fuse plugged in on the back of it. Look on the back of the head unit and you will see it if there is one. Of course, check it if there is.

Go here to view/download a service manual - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2001/

in section EL (ELectrical) starting on page 171 is the section for the radio. Bose stuff is on pages 171, 173 and 177 through 180.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for they into.

@DennisMik - thank you so much for the detailed response. I actually stumbled upon the 15A fuse under the hood after I finished replacing the radiator on Thursday morning. I was surprised as hell when I saw the RADIO label on the fuse box cover. I pulled the 15A fuse and sure enough it was blown, so I replaced it with a spare fuse. Then I went and reconnected the head unit, as soon as I did, the unit powered up, the tape that was such in the deck popped out and music started playing from the CD player while the head unit was still in my hands!!! LOL

Unfortunately I had already ordered the replacement used head from eBay for like $55.00. . So, not sure if I'll be able to return it. If the guy won't take it back I guess I can hold it as a spare.

There is no fuse in the back of the head unit, at least not one that I could find on move.

Thanks again for the info!! I really appreciate the response!!

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There is a fuse (15 amp) in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side near the battery. The cover has the label "AUDIO" for this fuse. This fuse powers everything in the trunk (woofer, all speakers, CD changer) and it feeds the head unit (but it is not the main power to the head unit).

The main power source for the head unit is in the dashboard fuse panel to the left of the steering column. It is a 10 amp fuse, the one in the top row, the first one on the left end. If you have the label, it is called MIRROR.

The head unit needs to be working as the head unit sends a signal to the items in the trunk to turn them on.

Bose head units are luck to get 10 years before self destructing. I replaced my share of them, putting in used units and getting less and less life from them. If the head unit has died, don't waste your time with a used one.

For troubleshooting the head unit, it is pretty simple. Basically, if the head unit is getting power, the display panel should light up and you should be able to see the display change as you press buttons. One thing I can't remember, though, is if the head unit has a fuse plugged in on the back of it. Look on the back of the head unit and you will see it if there is one. Of course, check it if there is.

Go here to view/download a service manual - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2001/

in section EL (ELectrical) starting on page 171 is the section for the radio. Bose stuff is on pages 171, 173 and 177 through 180.