5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima transmission slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima transmission slip

Hey everyone, just recently bought a 2000 maxima. Didn’t get to test drive it because it supposedly had a blown head gasket and the guy had already pulled the intake but then decided to sell it. I got it all out back together because I wanted to confirm the head gasket was bad. Turns out when he replaced the radiator he left the rubber cap on the top hose spout and just slid the radiator hose over it so nothing could flow through the radial causing the overheating. Anyways got it running good but under light throttle once warmed up the trans slips from 2-3. Not every time maybe 40% of the time and under load it never happens. That leads me to believe it is not the clutches causing this. I have been researching already have replaced revolution sensor, trans solenoids (not complete valve body) and tried a new tcm from a totaled vehicle at pick and pull. Fluid is clean, was no debris in pan. I added a bottle of the rislone stop slip with no change. I will be changing the trans fluid to get that stuff out just was trying again to determine if there was internal wear. Only other thing I could think of before I condemn the transmission is maybe tps? I know they are finicky on these cars and when I first got it the guy had the throttle cables all out of whack so he may have messed with the tos I’m not sure. Anyone else think this could be an issue? Any good write ups on testing and adjusting? I found write ups for the 97-99 but didn’t find any for 2000 up. Any other things anyone can think of? Vehicle has 120k on it btw. Thanks for any help
Old 10-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Aaronpapemh
Hey everyone, just recently bought a 2000 maxima. Didn’t get to test drive it because it supposedly had a blown head gasket and the guy had already pulled the intake but then decided to sell it. I got it all out back together because I wanted to confirm the head gasket was bad. Turns out when he replaced the radiator he left the rubber cap on the top hose spout and just slid the radiator hose over it so nothing could flow through the radial causing the overheating. Anyways got it running good but under light throttle once warmed up the trans slips from 2-3. Not every time maybe 40% of the time and under load it never happens. That leads me to believe it is not the clutches causing this. I have been researching already have replaced revolution sensor, trans solenoids (not complete valve body) and tried a new tcm from a totaled vehicle at pick and pull. Fluid is clean, was no debris in pan. I added a bottle of the rislone stop slip with no change. I will be changing the trans fluid to get that stuff out just was trying again to determine if there was internal wear. Only other thing I could think of before I condemn the transmission is maybe tps? I know they are finicky on these cars and when I first got it the guy had the throttle cables all out of whack so he may have messed with the tos I’m not sure. Anyone else think this could be an issue? Any good write ups on testing and adjusting? I found write ups for the 97-99 but didn’t find any for 2000 up. Any other things anyone can think of? Vehicle has 120k on it btw. Thanks for any help
MAF can cause weird issues, too. Since he's an idiot, it definitely wouldn't hurt to check TPS voltage.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 10-13-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:26 PM

hey, mine does this when hot aswell.
except on hot days, really hot days, the trans will just completely **** itself
and won't shift up out of 2nd.

i'm talking hot days not really when engine is hot.

First drive, when cold does it sorta rev out and hang alittle more from 2-3
then be totally fine after warm up?
Does it not really shift into OD unless everything is nice and warm or going over 60mph?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No on mine all I get is the shift flare on the 2-3 shift under light throttle other then that it drives fine. I have read so much how these transmissions are garbage and have also read threads where shops have recommended and replaced the entire transmission only to have the same issue
Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

No on mine all I get is the shift flare on the 2-3 shift under light throttle other then that it drives fine. I have read so much how these transmissions are garbage and have also read threads where shops have recommended and replaced the entire transmission only to have the same issue
Plenty of people with 250k+ miles. Some have solenoid issues, a few TCM, but on the whole they're very reliable into high mileage. If you get 200k out of an auto, I think you're doing well. And these cars are all over Craigslist with 200+.

If maf (which you won't know till you swap it), tps and fluid is good, then it's just bad luck and VB must be taking a dump.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 10-13-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is the valve body a common failure in these? I already replaced the solenoids on the valve body after seeing the tsb for it. I guess I could pull one from the junk yard and put it on and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Bad *** Newb

Is the valve body a common failure in these? I already replaced the solenoids on the valve body after seeing the tsb for it. I guess I could pull one from the junk yard and put it on and see what happens.
no
Old 10-14-2018, 04:01 PM

mine is probably more far gone but does yours sometimes flash the overdrive light at start up?

this might be helpful perhaps.
https://www.justanswer.com/nissan/6e...ashes-off.html

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 10-14-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission problems

i have a 2001 Nissan Maxima auto 20th anniversary Model its the car has a delay before it’s shifts into 2nd but it’s does shift into all he gears and it’s driveable.. what’s the problem.. solenoid or ???
Old 01-29-2019, 01:45 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Rego889
i have a 2001 Nissan Maxima auto 20th anniversary Model its the car has a delay before it’s shifts into 2nd but it’s does shift into all he gears and it’s driveable.. what’s the problem.. solenoid or ???
probably solenoid