5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Possible Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 AM

Possible Transmission Issue

Bought an Infiniti 2001 I30 w/ 178k miles roughly 2 months ago in Houston area; it finally got cold yesterday and took her out for a ride in the morning when I noticed 2-3 miles into my commute that the car would not accelerate above 20 mph from a stop position; was able to veer off the safe and drag the car to a mechanic nearby (avoided tow). The car had a litany of issues....fuel injector was changed in addition to drive belts which were warped. Came in to pick her up today, and he instructed me that the car may have issue with 2nd gear; told me to use some Seafoam transmission conditioner because it keeps the transmission oil/fluid from freezing up when cold. Im not a gearhead, so asking if that statement is true? Also, assuming that this is the product
https://seafoamsales.com/hydra-trans-tune/

Im already kinda frustrated because just sank $550 in this repair, and the mech stated that I also need a new set (4) of motor mounts and rear shocks; but I'm really concerned about the transmission because I had no issues till yesterday and it's drivable now, but worried that issue will pop up again
Old 11-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Took the car out for some in-city driving; the main issue I have is the car struggles with aggressive acceleration off a complete stop position or red light; the RPM rises and it jerks a little till it gets over approx 20 mph, and then smooth sailing; I'm avoiding the jerky motion by easing in the gas and letting it eventually build up speed; the only thing I'm worried about is possible situations where I have to be aggressive and pump gas
Old 11-14-2018, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by User1
Any lights? Codes? "Torque" is a good application. Start there.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...nner+bluetooth
P0720 code popped up recently due to "service engine soon" light; not sure what this is since the speed sensor was recently changed according to mech; will go back tomorrow to speak with him about it

Still having shifting issue from 1st to 2nd gear, and he recommended that SeaFoam Trans Tune; will try that and see if that clears the code

Thanks for the feedback
Old 11-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Change mechanic
Old 11-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by vebong
P0720 code popped up recently due to "service engine soon" light; not sure what this is since the speed sensor was recently changed according to mech; will go back tomorrow to speak with him about it
Still having shifting issue from 1st to 2nd gear, and he recommended that SeaFoam Trans Tune; will try that and see if that clears the code
Your car is telling you that it has a problem with the Revolution Speed Sensor and/or with the associated harness/connector (that's what code P0720 means). Because this sensor affects shifting, and because it costs only a few dollars (see here https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on+sensor,7192), it makes a lot of sense to replace the sensor and see what happens.
A couple of others suggestions: a) Download yourself a copy of the FSM (use the link on the 2nd line of my signature, below), and b) Next time, you can troubleshoot the problem yourself by using the IDX, EC, AT and other sections of the FSM as appropriate.

Last edited by maxiiiboy; 11-15-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: improved readability
Old 11-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Will replace the sensor...thanks for the feedback; Also, assume that this issue is affecting my gas mileage which is terrible at the moment; have to really press the gas to get car moving from a complete stop (red lights, stop &go traffic)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:07 PM

Also, noted that my transmission motor mounts were worn; recommended the need to replace the set of 4; wondering....how pressing is the matter? Do I need to replace immediately or could I go another month or so on worn motor mounts; already spent $$ on recent repairs
Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Appreciate the feedback "User1"; definitely would not spend that much for an 18 year old car....I personally would go with the Ebay set and already spending approx 100 bucks on the transmission speed sensor @ AdvanceAuto; its cheaper online, but like the convenience of it being in stock @ Advance and I can swap it out to see if it fixes my transmission shifting issues before taking her to the shop for further evaluation

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...611/10028710-P
Old 11-17-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by vebong
Also, noted that my transmission motor mounts were worn; recommended the need to replace the set of 4; wondering....how pressing is the matter? Do I need to replace immediately or could I go another month or so on worn motor mounts; already spent $$ on recent repairs
Your mounts can wait a week/month.
No need to spend big bucks; you can get all four for under $100.-. Check it out here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tor+mount,5552
Old 11-17-2018, 10:21 PM

Thanks Maxiiiboy
Old 11-18-2018, 01:14 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Make your own.15-20 years of hard driving and no sign of wear