5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 Max overheating, losing coolant, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Max overheating, losing coolant, need advice

So I've changed the sensor (coolant) also the relay the main relay I believe it's the control relay my car is still over heating in traffic going up hills and if it sits at light to long now my reserve tank is not holding the coolant I have to keep filling and my fans still don't work someone please help me
Old 11-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lrevans
So I've changed the sensor (coolant) also the relay the main relay I believe it's the control relay my car is still over heating in traffic going up hills and if it sits at light to long now my reserve tank is not holding the coolant I have to keep filling and my fans still don't work someone please help me
well right off the bat, if you keep needing to refill the coolant, it means its leaking somewhere. It doesnt just vanish. Check your oil and see how that looks and make sure that the coolant isnt getting into the motor because if it is you might as well stop there because the car is fcked.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM

If the fans are not working, maybe the fuses are blown. Check the fuses by the battery, The cover labels them RAD FAN1 and RAD FAN2. But you can also check the fans by turning on the air conditioning. When you do this, the fans should start running immediately

f the fuses are good and the fans do not run, maybe the motors are burned out. With the engine turned off, take hold of the fan blade and see if you can wiggle it front to rear. There should be absolutely no wiggle. Then try turning the fan blade. They should move with hardly any effort..
Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slamrod

well right off the bat, if you keep needing to refill the coolant, it means its leaking somewhere. It doesnt just vanish. Check your oil and see how that looks and make sure that the coolant isnt getting into the motor because if it is you might as well stop there because the car is fcked.
naw looked at the oil already its fine just dirty but that shouldn't cause me to overheat
Old 11-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the fans are not working, maybe the fuses are blown. Check the fuses by the battery, The cover labels them RAD FAN1 and RAD FAN2. But you can also check the fans by turning on the air conditioning. When you do this, the fans should start running immediately

f the fuses are good and the fans do not run, maybe the motors are burned out. With the engine turned off, take hold of the fan blade and see if you can wiggle it front to rear. There should be absolutely no wiggle. Then try turning the fan blade. They should move with hardly any effort..
Imma go check that out
Old 11-16-2018, 04:27 PM
Administrator

"2001 Nissan Maxima!" is not a thread title. How vague is that. We know it's Nissan Maxima, and we know it's a 2000 to 2003 based on the sub-forum you're posting in. Would it have killed you to state, "2001 Max overheating, losing coolant, need advice" ?

/rant

Thread title revised so that when people search the Org using the search function this thread will pop up and potentially help them.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ru serious ok I'm new to this and I it's obvious I need help so can you give it or not if not stop wasting my time
Old 11-18-2018, 12:25 PM

My maxima has exhaust getting into radiator. Probably head gasket. Put a spacer under rad cap to release pressure, reserve stays full
Old 11-18-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lrevans
Ru serious ok I'm new to this and I it's obvious I need help so can you give it or not if not stop wasting my time
You are being a bit too sensitive. All of us have certain areas that we are reasonably good at and other areas where we don't know squat. When we log onto the forum, we scan the thread titles for problems that maybe we can help you with. So you want to use a thread title that lets us know the type of problem, such as "Car Overheats".

Like the Wizard said, your title wasn't very good, it didn't mention your problem. If trying to educate you on how to communicate better with us is a waste of your time, then you will have a hard time getting help.