5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New here. Having battery problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New here. Having battery problems

Have a 2002 max, a few days ago my car started no problem but i had a problem with the battery not charging while i was driving it .The alternator and battery both are new and i was checking fuses today and they all seem to be fine except the 80a main 1 and 2 fuses had a lot of corrosion on them. Now when i plug the battery up, by the time i get in to crank the car, my battery is dead .I charged it up and checked it another vehichle and it worked just fine. Hooked it back up to my max and it was dead again .Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:25 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Willpalmer92
Have a 2002 max, a few days ago my car started no problem but i had a problem with the battery not charging while i was driving it .The alternator and battery both are new and i was checking fuses today and they all seem to be fine except the 80a main 1 and 2 fuses had a lot of corrosion on them. Now when i plug the battery up, by the time i get in to crank the car, my battery is dead .I charged it up and checked it another vehichle and it worked just fine. Hooked it back up to my max and it was dead again .Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Are you sure you didn't blow the real main fuse (battery fuse in the block I guess it's called)? That cuts all power to the car. It's on the connector that goes to the battery.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-27-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Does anything work on the car such as lights horn wipers, windows, dome light, radio, etc or is the cars totally dead? If the main 120 anp fuse is blown as stated above, nothing will work.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 PM

Something is discharging your battery. If it's indeed happening as quickly as you suggest, you may have a short somewhere.
It looks like you recently replaced both your alternator and your battery. You may want to re-visit all parts and connections you touched during this replacement work.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:17 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Something is discharging your battery. If it's indeed happening as quickly as you suggest, you may have a short somewhere.
It looks like you recently replaced both your alternator and your battery. You may want to re-visit all parts and connections you touched during this replacement work.
That's not possible, though.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so the quick discharge stopped. I took the alt fuse out when i was checking them all and read somewhere that that could cause the drain to happen that fast. Took it out, put it back in, fires up no problem. Car turned off i get 12.4v and then 11.3 when i crank it up. All other fuses look fine. The person who had it before me had a short in the brake wires that caused the break lights to stay on and they couldn't find out how to fix it so they rigged the break lights up to operate on a switch instead of the break pedal, could that cause a problem in the alternator? Also all the inside stuff works up until i lose power while driving it .
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 AM

Ok so the quick discharge stopped. I took the alt fuse out when i was checking them all and read somewhere that that could cause the drain to happen that fast. Took it out, put it back in, fires up no problem. Car turned off i get 12.4v and then 11.3 when i crank it up. All other fuses look fine. The person who had it before me had a short in the brake wires that caused the break lights to stay on and they couldn't find out how to fix it so they rigged the break lights up to operate on a switch instead of the break pedal, could that cause a problem in the alternator? Also all the inside stuff works up until i lose power while driving it .
With the engine running, the battery voltage should be 14-14.5V, not 11.3V.
If it's that low, the alternator is not charging.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

Assuming no wiring faults, then the alternator is fried. I think the battery was being shorted by the alternator and seems like you're lucky there's no melted wires.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 PM

The brake lights being on all the time is probably the plastic stopper on the brake pedal that operated the stop light switch. They break and that make the stop lights be on all the time.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:35 AM

A good fully charged battery will not completely discharge in the time it takes to attach the ground clamp and reach in to start the car. The amount of stored energy that would have to be discharged in such a short period time would easily start a fire because the insulation on your electrical cables would melt and burn from the excessive heat. 40 years ago, I worked my way through school as a Sears auto technician. No supervision on Sunday afternoons usually offered a chance to experiment with the trade in batteries. Not all were dead. Lay a cable across the terminals and get out quickly.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 PM

You say you had a short in the tail light system but how would that cause your battery to drain out?
sounds like a stopper failing as posted