5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Left Side of Dash Lights Intermittently On & Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:14 AM

Left Side of Dash Lights Intermittently On & Off

This has been going on for 4-5 years now. Basically my MPH gauge illumination light, and Fuel Gauge illumination lights started to not come on for random trips, sometimes they turn back on while driving, somes times they stay off for weeks or days at a time. Sometimes but less frequently they perform as nothing is wrong for days at atime, they come as they should. Note they never turn off while driving, they either are on or off at start up and either stay on or off, and then sometimes turn back on while driving for no reason that i can notice. at first i thought it was just bulbs, but they are stock LED, and if they were shot, how would the lights would come back on when they want especially for this many years, they even turned on while driving today. So what gives? is it connection? i thougth about taking it apart and putting it back together, but i dont think the lights really have plugs or wires, as most guys here know they are removable leds on a circuit board. I thought why not get some new bulbs as an upgrade and see whats good, but it makes me concerned its something else, since the original led oem bulbs still turn on .( RPM gauge illumination and temp gauge illumination lights have had no issues , except maybe once or twice but it has been years if ever)

This week, they were off for days, and this morning while driving they turned back on. Very odd and, MPH is half important to see at night.

Let me know your thoughts guys, i am ready to buy bulbs but only with the notion that will fix the problem not possibly fix it.

Last edited by Prophecy99; 02-12-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The base that the bulbs are housed in have fairly fragile leads that can bend over time (copper parts in the photo below). When I changed my bulbs out, it was somewhat difficult to get those leads bent perfectly so that they made full contact with the cluster's circuit board when they were installed. It takes ~10 minutes to remove the cluster to check, so I'd start there. The temperature can make them slightly expand/contract which could explain the intermittent connection.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
The base that the bulbs are housed in have fairly fragile leads that can bend over time (copper parts in the photo below). When I changed my bulbs out, it was somewhat difficult to get those leads bent perfectly so that they made full contact with the cluster's circuit board when they were installed. It takes ~10 minutes to remove the cluster to check, so I'd start there. The temperature can make them slightly expand/contract which could explain the intermittent connection.
Thanks a ton man ! , will do. and are those incandescent bulbs?? thought oem was LED
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
Thanks a ton man ! , will do. and are those incandescent bulbs?? thought oem was LED
Nope, the actual illumination of the gauges and the mileage/trip computer screens are incandescent. I added these warm white LEDs and they're definitely brighter than the OEM bulbs:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/228/

Last edited by LA02MAX; 02-13-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Nope, the actual illumination of the gauges and the mileage/trip computer screens are incandescent. I added these warm white LEDs and they're definitely brighter than the OEM bulbs:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/228/
Nice.
Are they plug-in replacements?
No need to worry about load resistors, and anything else ?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:12 PM

I would just go buy some sylvania long life bulbs and replace them all.

I don't know the fascination of LED dash lights for it just distracting when driving at night. And they have hot spots when installed.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
I would just go buy some sylvania long life bulbs and replace them all.

I don't know the fascination of LED dash lights for it just distracting when driving at night. And they have hot spots when installed.
They still aren’t anywhere near as bright as modern Nissans (or most other makes for that matter)so they definitely aren’t distracting. And they don’t hot spot. The bulbs are, indeed, plug and play.

Last edited by LA02MAX; 02-13-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:02 AM

thanks for the post man !! also to note, yesterday drove one mile to supermarket lights were off entire drive, started up to go to the next destination and lights were on, then again on the way home for the 3rd trip lights were off, then today to work (4th trip) back on, it was almost like every other start up.

and those are the exact lights I have on standby warm white for sure. and +1 i believe hot spotting and distractions are not an issue with these as numerous guys have posted results and feedback.