5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5gen stronger axles ? aftermarket upgrades available? Need advice, or help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5.5gen stronger axles ? aftermarket upgrades available? Need advice, or help

Im looking for a stronger front axle replacement for my 03 Maxima w/ hsld 6spd. Once tuned I should be landing anywhere in the 450-500 hp range, I'm already tackling getting a clutch and flywheel that has a chance holding and I know the axles are going to be a weak link if Im not very careful and gentle with my driving habits. Ive been driving the car as I've built it to the point it is as I've done most of the upgrades in different stages and was tuning it with romraider and nisprog myself with my seat of the pants dyno. Ive now got the car a lot closer to the place I wanted it to be and have gone to a haltech ecu and once tuned I feel I need to address the axles. Has anyone tested the limits of running 04-06 maxima 6spd axles and bearing bracket? Ive been looking but I cant find anyone selling anything better than higher end oe replacements. If nothing I will atleast upgrade to a new set of a good brand 04-06 axles but I feel like there has to be somewhere out there making a performance axle that will work for me. Let me know please if you have any input
Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 AM

The only performance axle available to us was through Raxles and they stopped selling them. You can try contacting them to see if they can restart production.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by madmax8809
Im looking for a stronger front axle replacement for my 03 Maxima w/ hsld 6spd. Once tuned I should be landing anywhere in the 450-500 hp range, I'm already tackling getting a clutch and flywheel that has a chance holding and I know the axles are going to be a weak link if Im not very careful and gentle with my driving habits. Ive been driving the car as I've built it to the point it is as I've done most of the upgrades in different stages and was tuning it with romraider and nisprog myself with my seat of the pants dyno. Ive now got the car a lot closer to the place I wanted it to be and have gone to a haltech ecu and once tuned I feel I need to address the axles. Has anyone tested the limits of running 04-06 maxima 6spd axles and bearing bracket? Ive been looking but I cant find anyone selling anything better than higher end oe replacements. If nothing I will atleast upgrade to a new set of a good brand 04-06 axles but I feel like there has to be somewhere out there making a performance axle that will work for me. Let me know please if you have any input
They should be fine. Tires will spin on the street. Just don't do anything stupid like warm the tires up and try to launch with big stickies.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM

OEM axles are your best bet if you can find a set.
6th gen axles are known to be a bit beefier. And yes you must use 6th gen axle carrier bracket.

If your not super low you should be ok with OEM axles.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 AM

https://www.my4dsc.com/6thgen-maxima...en-comparison/
Old 03-29-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by madmax8809
You go turbo?

You should be ok with oem. Jeremy at Admin motors maxima is over 700whp; he's been breaking specV transmissions before axles. At 500 or less you should be fine unless you're slammed. If slammed, get Red Lion Raiser engine mounts and lift up your engine a bit.

Be careful with 6gen axles. It's true the passenger side is slightly bigger, but the axles are also slightly longer. So if you're dropped, you're putting even more pressure on the joints and thus more chance of pre-mature failure.

Go with 5gen oem and worry about a safe tune.

Originally Posted by TallTom
The only performance axle available to us was through Raxles and they stopped selling them. You can try contacting them to see if they can restart production.
Raxles are done. I just talked to him like two weeks ago, he's not making them anymore and isn't ever going to again.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:38 AM

I know this is an old post, but apparently, Quality Reman doesn't rebuild 5.5 or 6th gen axles anymore....that sucks. I'm dead in the water here and need some help if anyone has any ideas?!? I'd rather not put anything after market. Does anyone know a shop in NC, or surrounding states that would rebuild these axles?
Old 08-19-2020, 01:02 PM

from experience never get the duralast axles i blew one going around the block and also the replacement on a bmw.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:45 PM

I regretted throwing away my old OEM, I would try at least to rebuild it. I got Oreilly specials, It vibrates under heavy acceleration, junk.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:53 PM

During the inspection the other day the mechanic pointed out a rip in my driver side OPparts axle after over 18k miles. The axle is good but once in a while I have heard a creaking noise during sharp turns into the gas station. I would get another OPparts axle but AutohausAZ no longer sells the part for my manual. I ordered the APWI from Rock Auto after reading a couple of posts on the forum about it. Hopefully it will last as long. My OEM axle is still running strong on the passenger side. As mentioned by Genes1s, I wish I had the OEM driver axle still.